Getting Rid of Live Oak Leaves?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Getting Rid of Live Oak Leaves?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I could put about 0.0001% of my leaves in a barrel. I honestly think they reproduce at night.

The pile of leaves before this one was around 10 feet square and 2 feet high. This one was half that big. I can probably make three more piles as big as the first one.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Well....may still be doable.....
I burned one big pile of big tumble weeds this spring.
I've also burned about 20 barrels full...stuffed till they are full. I have a couple of 'em side by side. Again, I don't like the big open piles, as the wind can pick up here quickly. I care not to end up like my neighbor, who almost burned their barn & garage down. (Or burned up, depending on your political point of view) Luckily, they just flamed the siding.
I fill 'em up, get 'em burnin' with a propane torch, and once past the initial flare up....I can walk away, and go work in my shop. I don't get 'em done in a hurry....but I'm not in a hurry. I spends weeks getin' 'er done.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Oh....and as far as leaves....I mulch 'em, so they don't blow away....or into all the walkways we have.
I would imagine oak leaves don't make great mulch for most things, but around oak trees they would be fine, would keep weeds & grass from growing up around the trunk of the trees. I do that with the cottonwood leaves I run thru the mulcher, to keep things from growing where I don't want them to.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ahhh! One of my least favorite subjects, the slash pile. Last yer I nearly got a ticket as in the fall when the dew is on early evening, I have a chance to light up the years slash pile. usually about the size of the average pickup truck it is all the dead falls, leaves and trims from the fenclines that accumulate for the year. This time some dolt added recliners and sitting couches that got rained on and became like a dump. Although way back in the corner of the property I was not ready when some clown passed by and set fire to it. ( I have kids around that have less respect than brains. They are transient to the hood and are gone in some months to infest some other happy area). At any rate, we are under a NO OPEN BURNING mandate by the state. So try to convince the powers that be, you did nt do it. Dumping of natural waste is prohibited in the landfill so there is basically no place to put it.

I mowed the field of tall grass, and the 3 inch flames for the burnoff attracted the local fire department. In a few weeks before everything greens out will be a time of risk for the dead grass to threaten the buildings if they catch fire. It happens every year with the drying out of spring. If you have ever seen a yellow grass fire across a few acres, you would be impressed at the violence and heat created. Surprisingly it generally goes out at the untrimmed fence line for lack of raw fuel and dies in just minutes, but can consume lawn tractors, trucks and garden equipment in a flash. It is a threat.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

As far as I can tell, live oak leaves are impossible to mulch. I installed a mulching kit on my mower, and the leaves don't rise off the ground into the blades. Live oak leaves are much thicker and heavier than most leaves. It's like trying to mulch pennies.

I've thought of all the obvious answers. If there were a simple solution, I would have it by now.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I'm talking about running them thru a chipper shredder.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

But how do you lift tons of leaves and put them through the small opening of a shredder? And shredders aren't cheap, and you have to have a place to store one, so that means a building.

I wonder if I can hire someone to suck these leaves up.

The thought of shredding leaves manually reminds me of the joke about the farmer and the hog. A man passed a farm, and he saw a farmer lifting his hogs up to eat apples from a tree. He said, "Doesn't that take a lot of time?" The farmer said, "What's time to a hog?"
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Mine has two openings. The little one for branches & limbs, and the big one does brush and leaves.
I think it was about $500 when I got it....that was 12-15 years ago.
For leaves, I either dump 'em right in the big chute of the shredder from the bag off the mower, or scoop 'em out of a wheel barrow with a coal shovel.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Sounds like you should just burn them in your steam locomotive!
They burn; they're free; won't go out once on fire; you can use a coal shovel...
Maybe even bag them for other Live Steamers to use!
All points to a solution...
~RN
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I've got one like these for $200 off local sale site. Older Troy Built self propelled with 8 HP B&S chipper-shredder with a vacuum attachment. Like most B&S motors, all it needed was a carb and plug cleaning to fire right up, though pull starting an 8HP can be taxing. Then had to find a bag for mulching. Works rather well, but you better wear a good particle mask using it to vacuum up a mat of mesquite leaves and droppings around here! A yard vacuum, who'd a thought? Also mulches up the Eucalyptus leaves (another messy freaking tree), and dropped branches up to about 1.5" without much fuss, but it don't like Mesquite because they are too branchy and get hung up in it's craw. I use a piece of 2x2 scrap as a ram rod to clear jambs, and after a good days work, I lose a good 10"+ of 2x2. Works well for me, and takes up about the same space as a good size push mower.

Better image
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

They make larger ones you pull behind a tractor.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:46 am They make larger ones you pull behind a tractor.

I see those Cyclone Rakes advertised on TV every summer and fall. Don't know how well they really work, but seem to be rated highly on the websites I've looked at.
talking $1500 and up though....but if you have enough acres to clear, it may be a viable option.
https://www.cyclonerake.com/

Bill