miniature screwdrivers

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

miniature screwdrivers

Post by spro »

I would like reference to a set of quality miniature screw drivers. I see many but they are bogus. The smallest Phillips is the one, as I need to tinker with eyeglass frames now. Thx.
Steggy

Re: miniature screwdrivers

Post by Steggy »

spro wrote:I would like reference to a set of quality miniature screw drivers. I see many but they are bogus. The smallest Phillips is the one, as I need to tinker with eyeglass frames now. Thx.
You need a set of jeweler's screwdrivers. There are numerous sources for them.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

I have been happy with my Wiha screwdrivers.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

All I have is those 6 piece sets that you can get anywhere. I have a Stanley, and a Craftsman set, but all the others are 'Who-Knows'. Finest from China I assume. No matter....any and all are fine with glasses. Have a set in the pickup, the Jeep, my office, shop....all over. Nothing like having your glasses fall apart when you're trying to do something.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

Wiha (German made) are the gold standard. I have this set...

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26194-Screw ... driver+set

and they're in constant use. Highly recommended.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I like Wiha, although my cheap Chinese set has never given me a problem. There are other German makers.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

I'll also go with the majority on recommending Wiha, but I find in certain cases especially with their flat blades
the Wiha"s are a bit too thick for old turn of the century screws, probably something you won't come across with
eye glass frames. I also like the General S605 jewelers screw driver set which seems to feel a bit better when
futzing with eyeglass screws.
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks gents, for all the tips and links. I have sets scattered around but none of them are smaller than PH0. I need the PH00, PH000 for some of these screws I can barely see. Some sets don't indicate the sizes and I don't need the flat blades. So I'll probably go Wiha and mag/demag unit.
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

spro wrote:Thanks gents, for all the tips and links. I have sets scattered around but none of them are smaller than PH0. I need the PH00, PH000 for some of these screws I can barely see. Some sets don't indicate the sizes and I don't need the flat blades. So I'll probably go Wiha and mag/demag unit.
The set I indicated in my previous post contains all three of those sizes.

Forget the plastic-coated magnetizer/demagnetizer lump. It's a piece of junk and doesn't work.

Get an old bulk-tape eraser for a demagnetizer or make your own from a transformer.

Small tools like screwdrivers can be demagnetized using the heating element on a soldering gun. Insert tool in heating element, not touching element. Turn soldering gun on and withdraw tool slowly to a distance of a foot or two before turning gun off.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

> Small tools like screwdrivers can be demagnetized using the heating element on a soldering gun.

Replace the heating element with six turns of #10.
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks Marv. You saved me $7.00 I was thinking there was something special about the Wiha mag/demag when I sit within 7' of soldering irons. Yes the smallest sizes PH are in the set at your link. That is a done deal. Yesterday I replaced "nose pieces" to my current frame. The screw was PH00 but the smallest blade worked (like once, perhaps). Proper tools for miniscule parts or you really harm them.
spro

Post by spro »

John. well maybe not now. :)