Something good about Harbor Freight

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

mikeehlert

Something good about Harbor Freight

Post by mikeehlert »

We all have heard plenty of bad things about this outfits quality. I can't find anything wrong with them awarding high schools vocational programs $500,000.

Having problems with the image instert but you'll probably find the e-mail in your inbox if you get the brochures.

Mike
neanderman

Re: Something good about Harbor Freight

Post by neanderman »

I think there is another thread on here about them taking quality a bit more seriously.

I've very selectively bought a few things from them -- as with any 'discount' outlet, it's caveat emptor. But some of what they sell is well worth purchasing.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

One must come to terms with the fact that they sell things made places besides China. Many years ago I visited a HF store in Portland, Oregon, where I purchased a 50 pound box of glass bead, made in the good ol' USA. The price was right. Very right, in fact!

While some of the products they sell are less than desirable, some things are a real bargain. I'm still very proud of the set of combination wrenches, 1¼" through 2" (set of six) that cost me only $30. Those sizes, at least for me, rarely get used, but they have bailed me out several times, and their quality rivals that of Craftsman wrenches I purchased in the early '60's. How can the average guy justify such things unless the price, as this was, is very low? It is highly unlikely I'd have added wrenches of that size had it not been for the bargain they were.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
rzbill

Post by rzbill »

There is a Honda power tool mfg plant near me. I have been told by suppliers that work with both Honda and my mfg plant that the HF predator engines are built at the Honda site.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Harold_V wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:58 amI'm still very proud of the set of combination wrenches, 1¼" through 2" (set of six) that cost me only $30. Those sizes, at least for me, rarely get used, but they have bailed me out several times, and their quality rivals that of Craftsman wrenches I purchased in the early '60's. How can the average guy justify such things unless the price, as this was, is very low? It is highly unlikely I'd have added wrenches of that size had it not been for the bargain they were.
That's one of my rules - if it's a tool I am rarely going to use, I'll have to get it cheap (unless it's something my life may depend on).

Their toolboxes are the best value out there. I called them up and asked them to start competing with Lista and Vidmar. We'll see if they go that route.

Their vinyl shop gloves are fantastic, and I can get a box of cheap chip paint brushes there for what a few will set me back at Home Depot. My workshop is partly organized around their plastic storage boxes which can be had for $1.99 on sale:

The oscillating tool cost me twenty bucks and on it's first job saved me probably two hours (cut the job of scraping up 5-year old floor covering to 10 minutes)

If you want to get some real-world opinions on some of ther tools, visit the The Harbor Freight PASS/FAIL Thread on GarageJournal.com:
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=27192

Steve
mikeehlert

Post by mikeehlert »

I tend to buy stuff i'll only use once at HF. It will likely sit on the shelf until I die afterwards...
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I second the recommendation for the Pass/Fail thread. There is no point in pretending everything HF sells is garbage. And some of the garbage can be turned into good tools.

I will never stop recommending HF"s $35 HSS drill index. That price is nearly nothing, compared to $300 or more for American, and the bits work. Even the hinky ones can be sharpened. At least the ones that aren't too small to see!
Harold_V wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:58 amMany years ago I visited a HF store in Portland, Oregon, where I purchased a 50 pound box of glass bead, made in the good ol' USA. The price was right. Very right, in fact!
A man your age should never wear more than 2 pounds of beads.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:49 am
A man your age should never wear more than 2 pounds of beads.
I'm nothing without the extra flash.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Proud owner of 108 flashlights, and that is not a typo. When the grandkids act up I threaten them with turning them all on at once.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

How can you argue with "life warranty"? I found a set of transfer punches and a spin index fixture at HF. I use it all the time. I also have a 1 ton arbor press and a Japanese pull saw that is actually made in Japan. One only has to be scavy when it comes to recognizing value and quality.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Proud owner of 108 flashlights
That is just about the right number to overpower my wife "fetish" for flashlights.
She keep lifting them from the places I like to have them and stash them where I can never find them.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

I have this transmission jack and it seems to work fine after I replaced a rubber "O" ring at the foot pump to eliminate a leak:
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotiv ... 33884.html

And this engine lift: I did have to replace the wheels though as the bearings in the swivel portion fell out.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-cap ... 60388.html

Gregg
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.