It is not a lathe !

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: It is not a lathe !

Post by Harold_V »

John Hasler wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:39 am She looks like she has actually been working.
Well, sorta, maybe. An empty face plate in the lathe. A dead stationary spindle. An absence of traces of coolant. An absence of chips on the machine. No tooling in the turret. Arms that are way too dirty for a face that is clean. A staged photo if there ever was one, but it certainly represents the feelings of the time.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

As usual in these old photos, no safety gear at all. You go blind, they rotate the next guy in.

Look how nice and new the machinery looks. Anybody want a fresh, shiny American-made lathe, paid for with war bonds?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

John Hasler wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:35 pm jcfx writes:
> The only thing that makes me doubt my mill theory in retrospect is that I don't see anything
> that would allow a Y direction move.

Look down by her left hand.
Yep, I finally saw the Y axis way, I'm still curious as to what make that mill is.
larry_g

Post by larry_g »

BadDog wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:48 pm I believe that image in the article is a slotter.

I concur, Watch this hard to watch u-tube to see one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idwjF535xgA

Search out vertical slotter

lg

no neat sig line
I am unique, just like everyone else.
spro

Post by spro »

This gets mixed up but we had an earlier discussion. I don't recall her name but "she" was often dressed as a man with coveralls. This person was always around a certain machine and it was a huge vertical SLOTTER. Heck, it wasn't that long ago. Do not I remember the huge turntable they were standing on? I wasn't there, of course but remember the earlier discussion and pictures.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

jcfx wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:02 pm As many know the inspiration for Rosie the RIveter has died, but why do they keep calling
the machine in the picture of Naomi Parker Fraley is working on a lathe when it's a MILL !
I've been hunting around to see the picture of her working on a turret lathe and the same
picture comes up of her working on a MILL.

Here's a link to an article with the picture ( non pay wall )-
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42787869

Looks to me she's using a shaper head to cut a keyway in a gear on a massive rotary table.
Looks like a slotter to me. Has the rotary table built in and the X and Y axis. Looks like she is cutting an internal keyway to me.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Yep you guys are right it's a vertical slotter, a Pratt & Whitney to be exact.
Here's a pristine one -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJPSk08Wqdc
rudd

Post by rudd »

That photo was taken at the Convair plant in Ft. Worth, Texas. I worked there for a while (several name changes later.)

John Hasler wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:39 am
BadDog wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:22 am You may be thinking of this one.
http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... y1940s.jpg
Not Rosie, but often referenced.
She looks like she has actually been working. The other one looks more like a model they dressed up in some guy's overalls. Look at her shoes.
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

She is running a vertical slotter