It is not a lathe !

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

jcfx

It is not a lathe !

Post by jcfx »

As many know the inspiration for Rosie the RIveter has died, but why do they keep calling
the machine in the picture of Naomi Parker Fraley is working on a lathe when it's a MILL !
I've been hunting around to see the picture of her working on a turret lathe and the same
picture comes up of her working on a MILL.

Here's a link to an article with the picture ( non pay wall )-
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42787869

Looks to me she's using a shaper head to cut a keyway in a gear on a massive rotary table.
John Hasler

Re: It is not a lathe !

Post by John Hasler »

They're newsies. To them facts are mere picky details, especially when they involve anything technical. Nothing new about that, as this story illustrates.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

You may be thinking of this one.
http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... y1940s.jpg
Not Rosie, but often referenced.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

When I read a piece of news I usually did not experience the event personally. A few times in my life I had personal knowledge of the events. In those instances, the newspaper article contained some minor error 100% of the times. Not any error that affected the news value but errors nevertheless. For example the address number or name of someone or some incorrect explanation of what the fire department did or the equipment used. In this climate of fake news I want to make clear I am not imputing the honesty and validity of the news fact, an error on identifying the weapon used does not materially change the news of a murder, but it goes to say that accuracy is not priority one in journalism.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

In the labor vacuum that was created at the outset of WWII, my Mother was turned into a war worker. She worked at the armament plant near here making shells and heavy munitions for the military. On site they made, and she worked on the line for AA shells, and eventually the 16 inch casements for the big navel guns. I n mid stream she quit and went to US steel to the QC department and did testing on Armor plate being made for the ship building and American Bridge divisions there at Gary works.. She was moved to working at the tin plant, very important for packing food for shipment. where she meet my dad at some coffee hang out. My father had a crippled left hand from an electrical burn, and was unsuited for military service and worked on the railroad serving Inland steel mill. They both claimed the long hours of work and overtime had a big influence on putting them together. At wars end, the shuffle of the work force changed the face of America and made women #2 in the work force again.

One of Mom's jobs was making test samples of armor plate and wire on a lathe to pull for tensile strength testing. Samples had to be flaw free and measured with a micrometer for standards to be met.

In that tradition, I wound up making tank hulls for the M-60 tanks that were supplied to Taiwan and other countries before the rollout of the M-1 Abrams. We cast the first turret parts for testing of design features for Chrysler tank. It eventually went to Electric boat who did the final manufacture and development.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
rzbill

Post by rzbill »

Cheers to miss Parker. My wife and I build an airplane a few years ago. She was greatly involved in the riveting so we do have the famous painting on a fridge magnet.....

Definitely a shaping tool. You think it is mounted on a mill vs an actual shaper?
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I believe that image in the article is a slotter.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

rzbill wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:32 am Definitely a shaping tool. You think it is mounted on a mill vs an actual shaper?
It certainly looks like a mill to me with the hand wheels being in the right places for a mill
with a vertical shaping attachment similar to what Cinti and Bridgeport offered attached
Shapers that I've seen all have the signature t slotted box platform that the work is fastened to
the machine she's working on doesn't have it.
The only thing that makes me doubt my mill theory in retrospect is that I don't see anything
that would allow a Y direction move.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

jcfx writes:
> The only thing that makes me doubt my mill theory in retrospect is that I don't see anything
> that would allow a Y direction move.

Look down by her left hand.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It's not as bad as "shotgun rifle," "assault weapon," and "fully automatic Bushmaster AR15."
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

BadDog wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:22 am You may be thinking of this one.
Those WPA photos are very literally priceless.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

BadDog wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:22 am You may be thinking of this one.
She looks like she has actually been working. The other one looks more like a model they dressed up in some guy's overalls. Look at her shoes.