Which Knife Steel do You Like?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Which Knife Steel do You Like?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I am wondering what preferences people have in knife steel.

Now that I live in the United States of America instead of Miami, I am hunting in my yard. Until the season ended yesterday, I was blasting squirrels. That meant I had to clean them. I didn't have a sheath knife, and I did not want to get guts in my folding knives, so I looked around online for something to buy.

I like stainless. I know a lot of old f...ahem...fogies don't like it, but rust is a pain to deal with. My first really good knife was a Gerber folder in 440C. I am old enough to remember when Gerber knives weren't garbage. I found a company called Entrek, and they make semi-custom knives for reasonable prices. They use 440C because they are not impressed with the new Gucci steels. I placed an order. Unfortunately, it will be a while before I can try an Entek, because the people I ordered from sent me the wrong model and it has to go back.

I've been using a Forschner filet knife on squirrels, and while I love the knife for cleaning fish, I found that squirrel hair dulls it in a hurry. I would have to sharpen it twice per squirrel if I kept using it. I Googled around, and I learned that Forschner/Victorinox steel isn't really that good. It's soft. Fine for cucumbers and raw meat, but a very bad choice for skinning game. And they make hunting knives! Glad I didn't buy one.

I read about a relatively new steel Cold Steel has been using. It's called CTS-XHP, I think. They did a video where they compared it with AUS8 by chopping manila rope over and over. The AUS8 pooped out after 1400 cuts, but the CTS-XHP was still going strong at over 6000. The test guys had to quit because they were sore. I'm getting a Cold Steel folder to see if it's any good. I've had Cold Steel folders in the past, and they were amazing. I carried them for years, and they always looked like they just came out of the box.

Anyway, I wondered what other people here like.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
steamin10

Re: Which Knife Steel do You Like?

Post by steamin10 »

Knives are like old girl friends, every body wants the perfect one, but go by looks instead of function, and after a few tries they just take up space. /Carbon steel is what I use for my kitchen and chef persuits, about 8 to 10 inch on most. different widths for boning and chopping, or butchering, and a stone always on hand in the drawer. Squirrels and rabbits are easy to shuck, so I dont have trouble there. When skinning, pierce the skin, and do the cutting from under. I use several Rapala type fillet knives, one I cut in half to shorten for boning small carcuses. stainless comes in various grades and the harder it is, the longer it stays sharp, softer grades can actually bend. I went through the knife agony a long time ago with dive knives that were dull and would not cut rope, but were used as digging tools and pry bars underwater. They break, I can vouch for that. I always scout the yard sales and dead guy estate sales and pick up what I find when needed and save them for the time I need anything, and grind them for the jobs at hand. Skinners for deer, and gut ripper, and all the rest. I have tried the sushi glass ginsu, and the sports survivor, ad nuseum. The best sheath knife I have I built from a file. It rusts but always cuts and is strong with a brass pummel. It takes a fair edge but my favorite is a 4 inch folding Case with brass ends and line hook, that has a tape measure clip on it so it sits right in the top of my pants pocket. I have several pocket knives with brass ends that are chinee from Mantards, and are my pocket carry things. They have the clip and are about $4 here. So when I donate one to the world I dont boo-hoo about it. Good luck on your search. Does the squirrel taste as sweet when it is from your grounds?
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveM

Re: Which Knife Steel do You Like?

Post by SteveM »

steamin10 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:08 pmWhen skinning, pierce the skin, and do the cutting from under.
Kinda like cast iron?

Steve