I Hate Coyotes

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

BadDog

Re: I Hate Coyotes

Post by BadDog »

Wow, you guys have some nice stuff. It has me salivating, but it just wouldn't work for me. When I was young, I hunted all the time before my Grandfather passed. We (both grandfathers, father, and myself) had some "nice" guns, but they were all of the practical sort. Most would be hard to separate from range rifles normally carried in saddle holsters. Fancy furniture didn't go well with truck racks and tracking for miles in the brush to get to a "good spot", or when a white tail didn't go down right away. When my grandfather died, my interest in real hunting pretty much flamed out, but practical guns for sport and protection (of all sorts) held strong. So while some of my stuff might be "cool" to some (everyone loves my bullpup and mossy), it's neither "tacti-cool" nor sporting fine furniture, but rather scuffs and scrapes, often on plastic or aluminum extrusions rather than wood...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:48 am What are you doing with a .458? Do you live near Jurassic Park?
I am unaware of the presence of Jurassic Park in my area, but I was enamored with the thoughts of an African Safari when I was a young lad. That's how I met P.O. Ackley (way back in the late 50's), as it was he who built the .458. He even provided a tooled leather sling with my name on it. Don't know who did the leather work.

The .458 was apparently well respected for hunting elephants. Indications are that's true, as there's a distinct shortage of them here in Western Washington, so I've concluded they're strangely effective.

The rifle has no muzzle brake. You haven't lived until you've fired a rifle that large.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks for the response, Earl. I wish I could recall if I tried just neck sizing, as the rifle I had built to replace the 218 Bee doesn't come close to the accuracy of the Bee. If I could have solved the case separation problem, I'd likely have kept the rifle.

While I don't recall the model, I seem to recall that it was nothing more than a factory gun. Maybe a Remington? This was 60 years ago. I'm surprised I can even remember owning the gun. :D

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Nice work on those Northwestern elephants. I assume you also got the mammoths.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

You guys in Florida got snakes big enough to justify a .458 or maybe a 50 cal..... just to slow 'em down.....

:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:17 pm You guys in Florida got snakes big enough to justify a .458 or maybe a 50 cal..... just to slow 'em down.....

:)
I thought the gators took care of the snakes (and vice-versa).
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I wondered what you were talking about, and then I remembered the pythons. Here's how stupid the government is: they gave people PERMITS to catch them. PERMITS, when they should be begging everyone who has a gun to shoot the silly things.

I don't know how pythons taste. Someone needs to look into it, because an 18-foot snake has a lot of meat.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:36 pm I don't know how pythons taste. Someone needs to look into it, because an 18-foot snake has a lot of meat.
Lemmee guess.....like chicken.....

;)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

SteveHGraham wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:36 pm I wondered what you were talking about, and then I remembered the pythons. Here's how stupid the government is: they gave people PERMITS to catch them. PERMITS, when they should be begging everyone who has a gun to shoot the silly things.

I don't know how pythons taste. Someone needs to look into it, because an 18-foot snake has a lot of meat.
Their explanation is "If we allowed just anyone to hunt them someone might get hurt."
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Go to youtube and do a search for "rat shooting" then sit back and enjoy. Many of the exterminators are using 1K dollar air rifles and 1K+ dollar scopes but are getting pinpoint head shots.
I find it crazy any place would allow their rat population to get so out of hand in the first place.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Her is how stupid the net is:
They allow content on rat shooting then require an age verification for violent content. I can get xmovies easier.

I have a massive problem with mice running and having weddings in the goat barn, fueled by chicken feed and goat oats. I loaned out my tin cat that was from the 50's that swept mice into a chamber for capture alive. The later encarnations are plastic and spaceage, with clear view windows of the holding area. Nice, but they dont work. The tyrannosaurus traps work but wont reset after one or two trips. The old standard victor wood platten base get tripped without a catch. The newer platsic traps with the big swing arm are deadly effective so far, and worth the few cents more. The best is home made from a 2x6 and is the French spring type loop trap. They only take a few minutes to make, but can trap four mice in its holes, 8 if you make it double ended. It is a 400 year old design, and the trigger is a plastic thread from a grocery bag. The mice chew the stretched out thread and it hangs them in the hole. Wonderful to get 4 a day.

Back in the day, we would shoot pigeons out of the tank building off the nests with a Daisy pellet gun. 60 - 75 ft shots made all the time. All the feathers and debris would clog the drainage pumps and fowl up the works. We eliminated the problem. Some of the workers at the next building would borrow my rifle and shoot down lunch, that was roasted under an infared heater. I can vouch for it being fairly tastey, kinna like chicken. I think one of those rifles are under a C-note yet. We used iron sights as good enough since it was dark when we knocked pigeons down.We generally had up to about 20 trying to nest in the structure, with all the mess that they brought.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

John Hasler wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:04 pmTheir explanation is "If we allowed just anyone to hunt them someone might get hurt."
I hope you're kidding. Anyone in Florida can hunt wild hogs without a permit or bag limit, and I would much rather fight off a python than a hog.