Replacing Universal Motor with Induction Motor

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Replacing Universal Motor with Induction Motor

Post by SteveHGraham »

I saw a discussion of DeWalt DW735 planers. They are very loud. Someone said the reason is that these planers have universal motors.

I have a DW735, and I don't really care about the noise, but I wondered: how hard would it be to put an AC motor in there?

Here's the problem: I have no idea how to figure out the dimensions and so on. When you buy a 1-phase or 3-phase motor, you can look up the frame and whatever and buy a motor you know will drop right in. Is there a chart somewhere that tells you which AC motor will fit in a hole left by which universal motor?

I can see why they use a universal motor. The replacement costs about fifty bucks.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Hasler

Re: Replacing Universal Motor with Induction Motor

Post by John Hasler »

There are no standard dimensions for universal motors, but they generally have higher power density and much higher operating speed (that's why they are noisy) than induction motors. I think that you would have to mount the induction motor elsewhere and use a belt.
Mr Ron

Re: Replacing Universal Motor with Induction Motor

Post by Mr Ron »

Universal motors usually are of a proprietary design and designed to fit into the tool. Just think the difference between a motor in a stand mixer and a motor in a vacuum cleaner; both universal motors, but totally non-interchangeable.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi