bandwidth

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Patio

Re: bandwidth

Post by Patio »

Good evening Spro, I use a router between my modem and the computer, to effect better protection, against unwanted intruders. Also I understand that most people use Windows, a proprietary product, whose inter-workings are not allow to be seen. This alone can create a lot of extra cycles of the machine. As long as my connection is not seriously slowed by the activity of my machine, I do not chase it. One should take care, not to see to much conspiracy, in things, lest one go down the rabbit hole. With regards to the "invaders", that could get political real quick, so I would suggest that we stick to the discussion of things, not people, to keep the harmony and goodwill, which we enjoy here. I hope the world is treating you well as a whole.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Spro: Knowing when to not share our thoughts is a key to constructive culture.
Silence can speak louder that words.

Harold: Junk drawer seems an appropriate choice, and free speech survives.
Nice balance.

Back to Steam stuff.
~RN
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I started reading the OP. Soon realized it was a misguided rant, moved down quickly to see if there was any post explaining that a secure PC is not downloading/uploading anything other than updates.
In a few seconds I got to Harold post. The junk drawer as the name imply is a catch all for off topic, rants, humor or whatever you want to share. As long as civility is observed I have no objection to any topic or opinion, it takes less that 5 second to get the gist and decide is not for you. If one read for 10 minutes and get all worked up about a topic he should seriously do some self critique of his motives and attitude. Same goes for very on-topic posts, often just the title tells me I am not interested and move on.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
spro

Post by spro »

Well, half a rant is like half nuts which moved the information carriage only so far. No major crash. My cp is cabled into my router and it is Win 7. I read that MS quit supporting Win 7 a while back. There is certainly a lot of updating, if that is what it is, going on.
I didn't mean to take so much bandwidth out of the viewers and responders. There are subjects which are widely discussed, to more detail and argued openly. Thanks for not totally trashing me.
I'll keep that in mind but I'm really interested in an air raid siren....right. That would go over well in false positive :)
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

steamin10 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:53 pm I for one, am all for free speech and being able to speak ones mind.
I agree, but with some restraint. Free speech does not entitle one to shout fire in a theater when there is no fire, as an example. Note that readers are not free to spam the board, as another example. We have rules, and they must (and will) be upheld.

Participation on this board isn't a right-----no one has a "right" to be here aside from the owner (and that includes me). That said, he has provided a venue by which those of us with common interests can have a place to discuss those interests. Those who prefer to ignore the simple mandates to use presentable language, stay on topic and not flame others isn't welcome here. We can not allow a few to spoil it for the masses, and that's precisely what happens when those who refuse to comply are allowed to "speak their mind". If you were ever a participant on R.C.M., I need not say anything further, for you already understand that about which I speak.

Feel free to discuss topics that are in keeping with the theme of the venues presented. Going beyond those boundaries will not be received well, and to be perfectly honest, I do not appreciate being constantly tested, to see how far one can deviate from acceptable practice. It isn't necessary, and is building bad will on my behalf.

So then, please consider this board as having been granted the privilege to enter the home of the owner. He has rules, and they must be upheld. If they are not, this venue can disappear, which would be a serious loss to those of us who prefer a polite environment.

You want to discuss the price of rice in China? Perhaps the tariff on peanuts in Brazil? Fine. I don't have a problem with that, but don't do it on this board. There are venues where you can mule and puke all day long. Just don't do it here.

No politics. No religion, no bad language. Stay on topic. Simple.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Actually Spro,

Computers today do lots of things that have nothing to do with harmful data being downloaded to your computer. For example Win 10 will try to defrag your drive from time to time without you even being aware of it going on. This is supposed to be a "convenience" or a service for those who do know normally defrag their drives. And of course there is the endless stream of updates and they can tax a computer to the point that your cooling fan will need to come one.

Yes, there is a lot of tracking, data gets collected, sold and so on all in the name of better commerce. And yes, there are sites that are fake, malicious and even destructive. Ads are everywhere (except here, thankfully) and not all of the ads are welcome, however we don't usually have much choice.

I'm all for free speech, but since this is a dedicated site, paid for by a person/persons who wish to help disseminate information related to the machinist trade/hobby, I suspect we'd do better to limit our post to subjects that are helpful and worthy of teaching.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Many of the off topic subjects are intended to tap the encyclopedic knowledge of a diverse group of expert in so many fields such as is found here. It would be a loss to implement a strict policy.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

tornitore45 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:19 pm Many of the off topic subjects are intended to tap the encyclopedic knowledge of a diverse group of expert in so many fields such as is found here. It would be a loss to implement a strict policy.
That's precisely why I've been tolerant of most off-topic posts, and why I also encourage discussions that vary from the topic being discussed. You never know when a reader will provide a tidbit that solves a problem. However, I try to discourage discussions that polarize readers. They serve no good purpose, and bring considerable discontent to the board. That's precisely why religion and politics are not permitted.

I walk a very thin line as a moderator. I have to keep the board civil, all the while ensuring that content is worthy of being read by others. I try hard to not stifle, and hope to not be perceived as trying to run the board with an iron fist. That is not my intention.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Well said Harold. Really these flare ups are a rarity.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
spro

Post by spro »

What the heck did I Say? Sure bury it. Flare ups are not a rarity. They are mostly stifled before arrival.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

I'm not one for censoring thoughts, but spro's posts appear to me to be more like gibberish than useful information.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
juiceclone

Post by juiceclone »

Just keep changing your password. u know it but "they" will have to break/find it, and then u just change it again.
Works for me!