Purposed US tariffs on imported lathes/mills from China

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Purposed US tariffs on imported lathes/mills from China

Post by SteveHGraham »

BadDog wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:17 pmsometimes you simply have to dig in and fix a stubborn problem. Letting it go on and on letting other nations do as they please with no effective response hasn't resulted in a sustainable relationship by any means. I don't know enough to make the call, but maybe it's time to rip off the bandaid...
It seems likely to me that Trump is trying to start a negotiation masquerading as a trade war. This is his modus operandi. We have seen it at work in his dealings with other nations.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Agreed on all points.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Valid point Steve.

I’ve never personally met Mr. Trump.

To say something like, "Our draft dodging threaten-er and chief, Mr Bonespurs Dennison" to his face would be inappropriate
and unbecoming of a gentleman.

Appreciate your critique.

John
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

If Our goods are taxed at 3x when imported into Their Country, and Their goods are imported into Our Country at 1x, That is not fair. How else to level the playing field when No one wants to show up?
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

I wonder what impact this will have on raw materials and tooling.

But I would not want to be growing soybeans right now.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

It is interesting to me, that the attitudes are above all reason, in that China and other players need partners. China has too much cheap labor, and the market to auction it off on the world stage. Dont be fooled with the cheep junk mantra, China has all the technology that is available on the world market, and can supply whatever level of excellence is attractive, and still beat world price points. It is only greed to maintain a profit that keeps them from running amuck in world markets with the practical limits of real costs.

Food commodities are a big bug in the soup, as hungry people are hard to control. Governments are much better off being parasitic than controlling in any form. As far as the steel industry is concerned, the US has been running on empty since the 70's. Records show that even tho steel is a leading commodity, cheaper than any other to build with, even wood, the cost to produce it has steadily risen with ore, transport, labor, and recycle all playing a part at nailing the lid on the coffin since its surge in the 1900 turn of the century. Costs to produce a ton of processed steel have increased, with economic adjustments by hundreds of percentage points, and defined use of targeted engineering steels are the leading cheat board on the markets. Quality has suffered, even with the advent of finer controls, as cheep production has over run the need for market matches.Recycle over virgin steels (Nucor) are a prime example of lowering the market standard to allow cheaper production.

In the steel industry, where I lived, I watched as training , knowledge, and heart were butchered out of the industry. by the slow attrition of capability by the people who run these things.

A lathe hand can produce a part at some cost, and a part can be returned as a one off to make some machine live again. That cost is excessive when scaled up, and high production machines lock such parts into runs of hundred for economy of scale. As a result, the simple knowledge of being able to do the job gets lost as the people and the machines fade. The first airplanes and automobiles were built in bicycle shops. I dont see such wonders being produced anymore in any scale, or am I missing the printer/computer small scale interface? My phone and cable bill are many times what my energy use cost is. Is this the thinking mantra that has to be broken?
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Atkinson_Railroad wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:56 pm Thanks again to the new forum member for bringing up the topic.
(Just maybe we can keep the pad lock and key out of Harold’s hands a bit longer to read what other
metal working hobbyists think ; )
Heh! I have to hand it to you guys. You've pretty much managed to walk on half the mandates set forth for this board.
While conversation has been polite (thus far), I'm not likely to stand by and allow this topic to continue. Not because it's not important, but because it will eventually lead to acrimony, and it has nothing to do with the purpose of the board. When things change, and they're sure to, I'm not going to be very kind to those who seem to think they don't have to uphold the rules of the board. It's that, or I should step down. I pledged to keep the board on topic, and that I intend to do.

That said, it might be wise for those of you who are politically inclined to spend your political time elsewhere--where such topics are expected, and acceptable. Many come here to get away from current events---their escape, if you will. Lets not drive them away. Give considerable thought to the idea of soiling your own nest, for that is likely to be the outcome if this topic persists.

What's it going to be? Should I lock this one? Opinions are welcome. Keep them polite.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Harold, whatever you end up doing is perfectly fine. It has to be. [Ha ha ; )

The long standing stature or pillar this forum board represents is why people gravitate here.

Ruffling or scuffing its edges adds to its history.

John D. Atkinson
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I won't miss this thread.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
mikeehlert

Post by mikeehlert »

Harold_V wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:50 am
What's it going to be? Should I lock this one? Opinions are welcome. Keep them polite.

H
I believe we all know we are "on the edge" / "over the edge" of acceptability in several posts here. Your comment above should be warning enough. I would leave it alone as long as we can keep the politics out as it's effects are going to be important to all us metal workers. Otherwise just lock it up.
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

Harold_V wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:50 am What's it going to be? Should I lock this one? Opinions are welcome. Keep them polite.
Let's see here...a political thread with a misspelled title...

Impossible to determine if any expressed opinion is true or false.

Will have no effect whatsoever on the issue(s) being discussed.

Annoys some people and may even drive them away.

Why are you waiting? Send the whole thread to the bit bucket. It should have been deleted after the first post.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Little woman burn your toast this mornin' Marv??

:lol:
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.