How to Get Hydraulic Coupler Off?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: How to Get Hydraulic Coupler Off?

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Loctite makes some stuff....one of ‘em is 545, but I think they have others. Purple goop. We didn’t use it, as a rule, threads, as it’s wildly expensive, but it does work well on JIC tapers that are banged up, or split flange faces that are too beat up for the oring to seal. It was good to get out of a pinch, that’s for sure. As with all things Loctite, the surfaces must be oilfree for it to work.
Threads....we used the Teflon pipe dope.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

I have worked on a fair amount of mobile hydraulics. Getting room to swing a wrench is usually a problem. Often some components need to be removed to get the wrench on the fitting you really want to work on.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

johnfreese wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:33 pm I have worked on a fair amount of mobile hydraulics. Getting room to swing a wrench is usually a problem. Often some components need to be removed to get the wrench on the fitting you really want to work on.
Tell me about it!
Besides all flavors of crow foot wrenches, angle head wrenches, 30 degree service wrenches, I have a couple drawers full of combo wrenches that have been cut, ground, bent, twisted, welded & rewelded, and all other forms of obscene modifications. (I have one known as 'Snake Wrench')
101 reasons to save broken sockets....you can weld together your own custom crow foot wrenches. I have several.
What is good, is for 20 bucks, you can get a set of combo's from 3/8" to 1-1/4" at Horror Freight. And....for 30 bucks....a 1-3/8" to 2" set.
And they work plenty well on hydraulic fittings and adapters. Generally not talking a lot of torque compared to a fastener.
And, most importantly, you don't feel bad at all when you mangle one up and modify it to fit something weird, when one Mac or Proto costs more than a whole set of Horror Freights!
:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I've got 2 pretty large drawers crammed full of every extra sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, or anything else related that have come into my possession. Sometimes found in a car or truck, sometimes loose in bulk auction lots, sometimes a box of "junk" tools bought at a yard sale for $1, wherever. They then form fodder for all sorts of custom stuff. I've got a thin jaw adjustable wrench from one of those no name "chrome vanadium" imports. Another with pins mounted in the jaws to form an adjustable face pin spanner. Heated and bent flat head screw drivers are another favorite, including one that serves as a t-slot cleaner, another long slender one bent in a "J" that works better than a hose pick. And of course the pretty good number of open end wrenches ground to roughly half normal width (some less!) for fitting in tight spaces, like sometimes found on these type couplers. Sockets cut off short to form ultra-stubbies with just enough depth to seat a bolt head. And of course a bunch of cut in half or bent wrenches, though none as creative as Bill describes. I didn't do it, and some would call it sacrilege (I cringed when I found them), but I've got a really nice set of Snap-On deep well sockets with "T" handles brazed onto them. I couldn't have done that. Oh, and a small box full of hex keys that I often cut up as needed. And still it seems I often still can't find or make something to fit some do-dad on about half the projects I start. How is that possible...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

First make it licking clean, if it's so clean that you would lick it, it's clean enough, then take some flour (for baking) and blow it all over the fittings I use bendy straws and the flour on a piece of paper start the tractor run for a little bit then look where the flour is wet with oil you found your leak.