How to Get Hydraulic Coupler Off?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

How to Get Hydraulic Coupler Off?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I'm tired of oil dripping on my workshop floor, so I want to take a crack at putting a new hydraulic fitting on my tractor. See the photo.

It appears that fluid is dripping downward onto the male threads on the center fitting, down near the bottom. There is an angled fitting with hex sides on it at the very bottom. Then there are the male threads. Then there's a round nut with two flat spots. It's not a hex.

I think I need to turn the round nut clockwise to take the fitting off the threads, but there is no room to put a wrench on it. It looks like someone tried to put a pipe wrench on it a long time ago.

How am I supposed to take this thing off? I think I can get at it if I take off the fitting to the right, but then I open myself up to the danger of creating a new leak when I reinstall that fitting.

I don't know why a threaded connection would leak. I am concerned about the condition of the male thread as well as the coupler threads. I don't know of any way to test it except for doing the whole job and then using the hydraulics. That means I could end up doing this job over and over until the leak goes away.

I read about a sealant people put on hydraulic threads. Wondering if I should use it.
Attachments
04 09 18 hydraulic fittings on kubota crop.jpg
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Evans

Re: How to Get Hydraulic Coupler Off?

Post by John Evans »

What is on the top of that center fitting ? A hose? If so that is a quick disconnect I believe. If so try sliding that knurled sleeve downward to release the top section. A "crow's foot " that has a square drive might get you enough movement to get the fitting body [coupler body] out. Most likely the sealing areas in side that body are worn causing the leak.
www.chaski.com
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It's a quick coupler, as you say. I can get the hose off, but the coupler itself looks like bad news.

I was thinking about a crow's foot wrench, as you suggest. Not sure I can get it in there.

You may be right about the leak coming from inside the coupler. I only saw oil on the threads, though, so I am suspicious of them.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

The term 'quick'....is relative. :)

First off, clean off the muck & leaves.
In case you are unsure how to un-attach the quick coupler.....
Push down on the male coupler, before you try sliding the sleeve down to release it.
Wile pushing down, you should feel it move somewhat, then you can slide the knurled sleeve downward. You may have to wiggle the male end while doing it.

Next...NPT threads are the worst possible threads for all things hydraulic. No surprise it leaks. I hate 'em. They stink. Lots of people hate 'em. But they are still used a lot, especially on ag equipment.
NPT is why God created ORB, split flange, and ORS.

Remove the 45 degree hose end to get it out of your way, and probably the 90 degree adapter it attaches to, so you don't bugger up the JIC taper on the adapter. As long as you don't bang up that taper, all will be well when you put it back together. (When you reassemble, do not over-tighten it)
If there is no hex on the base of the female q-coupler, you can use channel locks or a pipe wrench to remove it. Even vise-grips.

Teflon pipe dope works best.
Clean the threads, and remove the oil. Put on the dope & tighten away. Cover the male threads WELL. Hard to over-torque pipe threads, just don't go totally nuts.

:) Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80632-T ... Bdope&th=1

Loctite makes some good stuff too.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks. I assume I should go for a new coupler instead of hoping the old one works after reinstalling.

BTW, I cleaned off the crap AFTER taking the picture. Possibly not the best strategy.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Not sure of the flavor of quick coupler you have, but looks like a Aeroquip FD45.
That is a very popular style.

If you get it good & clean...and de-oiled, you should be able to work the system, and see where it's leaking from....threads or the coupler. The coupler seals with an o-ring. I suspect you are correct, and it's the threads.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

OK. You have to buy me a new tractor if I ruin it.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Sure....put it on my tab!

If you are unfamiliar with such things....

Remove the hydraulic tank cap, and release any pressure before you start tearin' into it.
If the tank is higher than the quick-coupler, it will probably leak when you unscrew the quick-coupler. Gravity has no mercy, and it will make it difficult to put dope on the threads.
You can stop that with a vacuum on the hydraulic tank on the filler hole. If you use a shop vac, take care you don't start snorkeling up oil into it. They will make spectacular fire & flame.
I use a air-venturi vac.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Those couplers look ok to me but there's so much dirt I can't really guess what's happening. Clean the entire area up, run the machine, and inspect and photograph again (from several angles). I think your leak is down near the bottom of that assembly.

BTW those pipe threads used on ag machines are *supposed* to be NPTF, not NPT. Unfortunately, they are "interchangeable".
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:06 pm Sure....put it on my tab!
No! Please, let me pay for it. :P

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

When working on mobile equipent and loaders, sometimes the assemblies must be taken down on the arms and the routing they take, to get to what you need. Bobcats and such compact loaders are notorious for no having any working room around fittings, so a sub assembly must be taken out to get to the crowded end. Another feature is the hard line getting a crack right where the first thread starts. It will weep forever. I used a liquid dealer for hydro lines, much like a loc tite product for bolts. Yu must wait to pressure the system tho for it to dry. Fittings are cheap enough, to replace suspect leakers. When the O-rings weep, it is time.
Good stuff.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.