Treatment to Toughen up MDF Table Top?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Treatment to Toughen up MDF Table Top?

Post by Harold_V »

Speaking of butcher block, a section of bowling alley would make a great table top. I'd like to have an 8' length for a loading bench.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RCRR

Post by RCRR »

I can attest to the hardness and durability of bowling alley....I've brought kids many times! I think my face is permanently disfigured from the resulting reaction I have when the ball falls out of the sky at such a faster rate than which it moves forward.

Anyways, one of the nearby granite quarries came up with the idea of building stone lanes for durability's sake. While they ideed succeeded in making a durable lane, the standard issue bowling ball was found to be too brittle. Thus the project was abandoned but you can still use their outdoor prototype lane today (using special bowling balls capable of the hard surface).
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I found a pretty impressive prefab reloading bench online for around $235. It's steel, with a hardwood (yes, actual wood) top, pegboard, drawers, and a fluorescent light. I am severely tempted. Obviously, if it works for reloading, it will work for everything else.

To make one similar to it, I would probably have to spend $200 (steel, wood, electrical stuff, hardware, paint, bandages, therapy), and I have to be honest: I can't make a steel drawer.

I already have my plastic table set up, and it's going to be useful, but it would be nice to have that reloading bench in my bonus room/man loft.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005N ... 20N9&psc=1
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I guess I am the one for therapy. I wont pay for the common grade of DYI junk on the market, like this bench. While it may fill the bill in some ways, the satisfaction of taking their idea and turning it into MY work station is half the fun. When you get the satisfaction of just writing a check, it becomes the answer the next time, and for me defeats the purpose of having my tools. I dont just repair, but create.

A lite over a bench is simple. One on a swing arm with a magnifier is the best for fine work. It gives you the edge for old eyes. Pegobard is very cheap, as are the hooky things. Drawer kits can be had from modular bench units. I use Crapsman extension boxes hung under the table for tool drawers.Yard sale used is good enough to drill holes into or cut down to fit. Use all that space under the top. I may be spoiled because part of the fun is finding that right commercial bench in a yard and dragging it home. I relish the things that cost me little, and serve a lot. I have no problem selling a no longer needed bench, and getting some thing better.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Seal the MDF with Cyanoacrylate.
After taking out a second mortgage.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX