Glue for Plastic in Gasoline Tank

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

John Hasler

Re: Glue for Plastic in Gasoline Tank

Post by John Hasler »

BadDog wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:02 pm I forget the name, but McMaster sells those small fuel lines (and a range of sizes) in a material that is (and stays) soft and flexible. I bought something like 2' and replumbed all mine years ago due to the OEM just disintegrating. Haven't had any trouble at all since. From memory, it's a yellowish cream tubing. I just did some google research and found a lot of solid suggestions about the material, but I don't think it was neoprene.
Neoprene is always black, as far as I know. https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/defau ... tcatid=856
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Tygon
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have used tygon for diesel without problems. I'll bet Ebay has tons of it.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Tygon is a trademark: the owner puts it on all sorts of tubing. The specific products intended for fuel lines are https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item. ... &catid=864 or https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item. ... &catid=864. Of course other companies sell equivalent products.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

That looks exactly like what I used. I don't remember where I first heard about it (maybe here), but the lines I replaced with it are still going strong long after the OEM would have been crumbled.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

It's crazy how manufacturers make small economies like scrimping on fuel lines.
I had a pressurized gasoline line blow over the engine in a BMW I had; it wasn't a very old car. Gasoline all over the hot engine bay, nuts.

The other day the rubber of the harmonic balancer / pulley in my present car failed, the pulley spun but kept turning so it was hard to tell. The AC stopped working, then the engine rapidly overheated nearly to destruction in just minutes.
I already blew one engine in this car due to the same fault. A good solid engine lost to one little weak point.
[rant, rave....]
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

But the increased margin got a useless MBA his bonus to buy a third vacation home with some left over for a new supercar to add to his collection. So it's all good as long as customer warranty complaints dont get filed before next quarter...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Gluing plastic is a challenge, especially in the presence of the described (and expected) chemicals.

The thought of using a soldering iron to fuse them is good...have you ever seen a HEAT GUN used to 'weld plastic'?

A solvent that will dissolve the pieces so that they can be 'stuck' to each other is a good direction to go as a last resort...think PVC pipe 'glue' which in reality is not a glue at all but a solvent.

Tygon is great stuff if it solves the problem...but beware trying to 'glue' it.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.