Tractor v. Diesel Pickup

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Tractor v. Diesel Pickup

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks.

My biggest problem right now is poison ivy. I have areas that are carpeted with it this year, and to kill it with Roundup, you have to buy the expensive kind. You know how Roundup works. They sell two versions. The expensive version, and the version that doesn't do anything.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

SteveHGraham wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:05 pm Thanks.

My biggest problem right now is poison ivy. I have areas that are carpeted with it this year, and to kill it with Roundup, you have to buy the expensive kind. You know how Roundup works. They sell two versions. The expensive version, and the version that doesn't do anything.
That's not how it works for me. I buy 2.5 gallon jugs of Kill-Zall concentrate (41% glyphosate), dilute according to directions, and get excellent results.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

So far, I have only used the Roundup brand, so I don't know what else is out there. I don't know how strong it is. The expensive version seems to work fairly well. The cheap one might as well be water. It's good for killing plants you want to keep, however.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Note the dilution. I'm guessing the "cheap version" is the low percentage variety? But then the only difference should be further dilution to prepare for spray. I've recently switch to the generic 41% (IIRC) 2 gallon jug that's cheaper than the 1 gal Roundup of the same dilution. Haven't used it yet, so we'll see. I also use "ground clear" (a 1 year pre-emergent) along drives, drainage "stream beds", and anywhere well away (and beyond root zones) from anything I actually want to live. Very different application methods, but works well for me.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Here is my groundless theory: whatever the expensive version's concentration is, I'll bet it contains a surfactant. Poison ivy is oily, so it maybe that Roundup rolls off unless it has detergent in it.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I have a tenant who works for Monsanto; he pointed out to me the importance of the "co-compounds" in pesticides and herbicides.
Yes, the surfactant or whatever gets it into the target plant. the good stuff is in the expensive brands.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

There's nothing magic about surfactants. If you wish you can add something such as this https://www.domyown.com/nonionic-surfac ... -1771.html to Kill-Zall. The "good stuff" in the expensive brands is marketing.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

We have been using the generic brands for some time with no change in results. Just observe the concentration on the container and mix accordingly. Saves a bunch of money.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

SteveHGraham wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:17 pm Stump grinders cost money!
So do tractors and trucks. I seen a new kabota with a broken differential my neighbor bought. Rent a stump grinder. Use the right tool for the job. Better yet buy the right tool. You can make money on the side.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Richard_W wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:20 pm
SteveHGraham wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:17 pm Stump grinders cost money!
So do tractors and trucks. I seen a new kabota with a broken differential my neighbor bought. Rent a stump grinder. Use the right tool for the job. Better yet buy the right tool. You can make money on the side.
How did he manage to break the differential on a tractor?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Stump pulling, no doubt.
~RN
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

NP317 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:23 pm Stump pulling, no doubt.
~RN
Pulling is what tractors are *for*.