Tractor v. Diesel Pickup

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: Tractor v. Diesel Pickup

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Whoa!
A thousand bucks to fell one tree?

All the stump grinders I have been around have been the industrial strength type. I’m not sure how those little ones, like the DR, work. Seems some research would be worthwhile for you.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Maybe a bulldozer would do it.
Maybe not.
Oak is tough.

There are pto stump grinder attachments for your tractor, or you can dig under and cut it below grade with a chainsaw.
I think someone said there's some chemical that will accelerate the rot.

Oak burns really well if you hit it with a cutting torch; hit the oxygen and wood just evaporates.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Cutting torch...never would have occurred to me.

I think I'll end up shoveling to make room for the chainsaw, though.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Ag tires (R1) aren't meant for hard dirt, so the deck was stacked against it.

I get an eye twitch just thinking about trying to get out a 2' oak stump. If the roots are not well rotted, I think you may wish you had spent the money. I've hired stump grinder work done before. It's not that expensive, particularly compared to the work required if you don't have the right equipment, or access to dynamite (or the like). However, the downside of that is there is a substantial amount of material that will be rotting down there. That may encourage undesirable bugs, and over time will collapse. I had one big one that started doing that, and for several years it was a yearly ritual to fill in the hole as it sank.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

This tree was probably around 15" thick when it was alive. When I say it's about 2 feet across, I'm talking about down near the ground.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

A word of warning about chainsawing roots. It dulls chains fast.
EOsteam

Post by EOsteam »

I had a neighbor who removed a black locust tree stump and roots. It was about 2’ in diameter. He spent almost 2weeks of after work evenings digging and cutting roots. When the stump was really moving because all of the side roots had been severed he hooked up his 1 ton pickup truck with a heavy duty chain and started to pull. The stump had a center tap root and the pickup didnt even budge it. At that point he even backed up to the stump and took a run at it. When the chain went taut the stump held and the violence of the event made me think the pickup frame might be damaged. He tried it 2 more times before he came to the conclusion that any further attempts would likely damage his pickup. At that point he dulled several chains on his chainsaw hacking at the root ball until he had access to the tap root.

My advice is to call the rental centers that cater to contractors and rent a stump cutter. Our local rental place has one and while I don’t know the rental fee, my guess is that it will rent for around $200. The 4 hour fee may be quite a bit less. Good luck!

Harper
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Steve: do the stump grind thing and save time and trouble. 5 trees removed, 3 trees trimmed, 5 stumps ground flush for $3600. No arguments, no hassle and none fell on the house.
Up a tree.jpg
Chestnut stump.jpg
Worth every cent and then some.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

$3600...my heart...this is the big one, Elizabeth...
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Then there's the really cheap + easy solution;

Just leave it there.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

liveaboard wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:02 am Then there's the really cheap + easy solution;
Just leave it there.
Brilliant!!
:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Construct a planter around it, fill the planter with enough dirt to cover the stump, and plant flowers. As the stump rots away add more dirt.

If you had left a tall stump you could do a chainsaw sculpture.