Need advise starting a mothballed car

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

jcfx

Re: Need advise starting a mothballed car

Post by jcfx »

john evans - I have no intentions of using the old fuel, hence my worry about disposing the 17 year old gas.
I don't think I could hot dip the tank even if there were any places near me that would offer such service.
The reason being is that the tank is a fiberglass wrapped aftermarket tank.

warmstrong - the Jeep has been stored in a un heated garage, it's more of a steel shed than a proper garage.

Good tip on the oil in the axel differentials.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

liveaboard - when I was poking around the engine compartment I did look into the air cleaner, just a little dust, but no
small mammals !

Tires are definitely something the next owner needs to address, they haven't completely deflated but are low on air where the tire is belled
at the contact point with the ground. It'll have to be flat bed towed or new tires will have to be installed, that's one thing I insist upon
the new owner.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

What year is the jeep and what model?? Pictures??
Your better selling it off as a project jeep (ran when parked) then putting money and time into it to get it running.
Old cars are like black holes.......
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

DavidF - It's a AMC CJ 5 1978 vintage, it is my intention to get rid of it as project vehicle, with very little money spent on it
aside from a battery, I seem to have a taker but he wants to drive it away which I recommend against because of various issues mentioned before.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

As long as he doesn't drive on the highway it should be ok; "should" is not a very safe word.
But once it's sold, not your job anymore.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

the cj5 is very desirable to the jeep guys. You wont have any trouble finding a buyer in as is tow me home condition...
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I sold my CJ5 about three years ago, to an old high school buddy of my son’s. I bought a Rubicon in ‘09. The CJ had been setting for about 5 years. We did start it to put it on the trailer, but that was it. He got it to his home, and did all the fluid changes etc. and has been driving it all over since.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Just a side note...

I have a friend that is still in rehab and was in intensive care for nearly sixty days with burns and skin grafts on over 25% of his upper body, arm, hand, neck, and face, after trying to start a vehicle by pouring gasoline in the carburetor.

Something we have probably all done at some time.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I like cyclo carb cleaner. Works as starting fluid too.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

liveaboard wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:46 am As long as he doesn't drive on the highway it should be ok; "should" is not a very safe word.
But once it's sold, not your job anymore.
That's the issue, he wants to drive it out of state, I said no way, it's gotta be towed.
Once it's sold, it's not my job anymore but I don't want it to be on my conscience.
DavidF wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 am the cj5 is very desirable to the jeep guys. You wont have any trouble finding a buyer in as is tow me home condition...
Yep, they are, way back when bought it I would have preferred a CJ7, but all I was able to find back then was a CJ 5
they're a lot of fun to drive but a harsh ride, and a little twitchy on the road, I nick named mine the "spleen buster".
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

spleen buster LOL, I called mine the Booby bouncer.... Not mine, the passengers....:)
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

jcfx wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:33 pm
Yep, they are, way back when bought it I would have preferred a CJ7, but all I was able to find back then was a CJ 5
they're a lot of fun to drive but a harsh ride, and a little twitchy on the road, I nick named mine the "spleen buster".
Harsh ride is an understatement. Spleen buster is closer to the truth! Brutal was the word I used!
My Rubicon's ride has nothing in common with my old CJ5. And a bonus....it has a heater that actually keeps you warm, and an air conditioner!

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.