Grease Gun v. New and Improved Grease Gun

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Grease Gun v. New and Improved Grease Gun

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have a grease gun I got for my mill. I don't recall what kind of grease is in it, but whatever it is, I chose it because it was recommended for mills. It's green.

I now have a tractor. It has to be greased. I was thinking I should get a second grease gun with whatever kind of grease goes in tractors, so I don't waste my mill grease.

I was in Home Depot, and I decided to grab a grease gun. Then I saw they had two kinds. The regular kind, and the super-duper kind that costs more, with some kind of bonus feature.

Does it really matter what kind of grease gun I buy? Is there some feature out there I can't live without?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Re: Grease Gun v. New and Improved Grease Gun

Post by BadDog »

The only green grease I know is BG, which is what I use.

Seems like my main Grease guns are Lincoln. Nice good quality, no need for fancy features as far as I can see in the gun itself. However, a flexible hose, locking tip, 90* tip, and so on is very useful.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

I keep an assortment of different tips for various purposes in an old pill container. Straight tips, needles, 90 degree adapter and a very narrow tip.

I have a separate gun and grease for universal joints on vehicles and just use regular grease in another gun for chassis and tractors.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I have several grease guns, most of which are Lincoln. I do have an Alemite or two as well. All are older than a hundred head of Grahams.....which is why I like Lincolns. They hold up forever.
I only have two what you might call fancy ones.
One is a Lincoln dual high pressure/standard pressure lever style. Heavy duty beast. Works well for those zerks that no one bothered to grease in a while, and the grease in the zerks & holes has set up like concrete. I haven't used it in quite a while, as it's a heavy equipment thing, not a regular vehicle or shop equipment thing.
The other, is a pistol grip pneumatic powered creampuff, also a Lincoln. I grease my vehicles with it.
The ones I use the most in the shop, are regular old non hoyty-toyty pistol grip manual models. Easy to operate, one hand to pump, and the other to hold the tip straight.
I have a couple mini-pistol grips too, that I use the 'specialty grease in.

As far as most mobile equipment & vehicles, I prefer the moly #2.

For almost everything....I don't know why a 'designer' grease gun would be necessary.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Maybe I don't need a second grease gun. Any idea whether green Lucas X-tra Heavy Grease will be a problem in tractor zerks? That's what I use for the mill.

I'm not thrilled with the Lucas gun I use. Seems awfully hard to get it on and off zerks.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Maybe one of these guys will address the soap types (of various types of grease). Of concern, as one isn't supposed to mix soap types.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I haven't ever bought a grease gun; I have 2 or 3 that were acquired when I bought property.
They work just fine; but all of them are always greasy. If there was a way to grease things without getting grease all over the hands, that would be an advance in grease gun technology.

There's chassis grease, bearing grease, hygroscopic grease, and hydrophobic grease. All sorts of special, expensive magic grease.
Then there's the cheap stuff in cartridges at the hardware store, that's what I use.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Your Lucas would be good in your tractor.

https://lucasoil.com/products/grease/lu ... uty-grease

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I think I learned something useful. The nozzle on my Lucas gun causes problems. Another company makes an improved nozzle that will supposedly attach to and hold onto any zerk without difficulty.
STRR

Post by STRR »

liveaboard wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:44 am If there was a way to grease things without getting grease all over the hands, that would be an advance in grease gun technology
Livabroad,

There is a way to keep your hands clean while greasing. NO, it's not wearing gloves. Find someone else to grease for you. Think Tom Sawyer whitewashing the fence... :lol:

Steve,

The gun being hard to get on and off of a zerk is ALL in the tip/nozzle. Cheap ones SUCK. You can purchase better quality ones and they are a pleasure to use. You can also find "lock on" nozzles. These can be used either way, slip on/off OR slip on and lock while you pump the grease. They are very simple as they just twist tighten to lock, unscrew to remove. Leave them half tight to use as normal.

Good Luck,
Terry
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

When I was 17, I worked in an auto repair garage. I once told my boss how I disliked doing lube + oils, but I quite enjoyed jobs that required more thought.

"Really?" he replied, "I'll have the other guys do the lube jobs."

So there you go; 17 years old and I got out of greasing + oil changes. But now that I'm an old tinkerer with machines to maintain, I have to get greasy.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I go through the ritual greasing twice a year. In another month, right before it gets cold, and in the spring, just as it gets warm. The exceptions are the newer equipment and stuff I have not used in a while.

I use black lith as standard. Greasy hands are what shop rags are for. I have to buy new ones as mom wont wash my greasy stuff.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.