Help ! Please send boat !!

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

John Evans

Help ! Please send boat !!

Post by John Evans »

Got the tail end of a tropical storm passing through today ,have got about 4" inches of rain in the last 4-5 hours. Back yard I can start a fish farm! :D And the ground does not absorb water well around here AND so far this month I have had about 5"s already .Been years and years since I seen this much rain in less than 2 weeks.
John
www.chaski.com
liveaboard

Re: Help ! Please send boat !!

Post by liveaboard »

And here we are in a historical drought...
If we don't get real rain this winter, the area could become uninhabitable.

Sorry, my boats are all too far from you to be of any help.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Monsoons running a bit late this year John? Sounds like someone didn't get the schedule!

Caliche is pretty much like concrete, and the arroyos that drained things around there are long since covered up with highways, buildings, and parking lots. I lived in southern Arizona in the 70's, and I find Phoenix particularly unrecognizable now a days. Back then, I-10 wasn't finished yet. To continue on I-10, you navigated thru Phoenix via Buckeye Road. Came out by the old trotting track.
Where does the water go now?

You still have all your bridges? '78 or '79....somewhere in there, there was only half of the I-10 bridge still open to get across the Salt. That was back when Mesa, Chandler, Scottsdale, & Phoenix were all separate towns, but it was still a big ugly slow moving mess. That was during monsoon season though....so on schedule!
;)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
spro

Post by spro »

I thought John was kidding. but he wasn't.. It all happened before. We look closely at the mountains and million years ago a basin. Layers upon layers of what still stands. Awesome ancient Earth.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Vu jade.....that feeling you have been there before, but didn't want to go back....
(Not to be confused with Deja vu)

I remember this quite well....I was driving through Phoenix quite regularly.... just not 'zactly the year. This doesn't really show the extent of the water damage back then, but gives you a clue.
https://www.azcentral.com/picture-galle ... /77443788/

Same year, the Canyon Del Oro bridge north of Tucson on 77, was washed out and pretty much headed to old Mexico.
Lotta water for southern Arizona..... 20 year? 100 year? Call it what ya like.

:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I apologize for praying the storm would hit someone else.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I should be careful not to make light of the storm damage in the panhandle. I don't watch the news, so I once the storm passed my friends and me by, the main thing on my mind was relief. I went through Andrew, Katrina, Wilma, and Rita, and because of Irma, I spent a lot of the last year cutting and burning trees. Irma hit my friends' property in the Keys (Cudjoe), it brushed Miami, where I have property, and then it came here and made a real mess of my farm. Every time a storm misses me, it's a very big deal to me.

I haven't followed the story. I have seen a few photos of Mexico Beach, though. Astounding.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

IT was going somewhere, anyway. These Great Force, every one of our fellow American technicians risk their lives to save others. Helicopters to huge trucks and buckets and saws and poles. All to get it working even at basic level. They know and dang difficult to do. So many First follow the clearance of the path by heavy machine operators. Heavy business right there and never sleep. It is more than just clearing. Lookout for live cables or pipes. Every second while clearing the impossible. Continuous risk and it paved the way for rescue of so many.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

When we had a tree trimmer tornado go through a few years back, it upset the rhythm of things for weeks. I live in a small hummock behind a tree covered sand dune, that is more of a swampy area. I lost a coupla limbs. With entire blocks removed to the slabs i cant imagine the personal pain that is visited upon those people. With Katrina i donated some 200 2x3s to build animal cages to remove lost pets from the area. They went with some carpenters that went for two weeks to stem the damage. This time around I will give a small check to a relief agency and be thankful it is NOT me. A few dollars are better than none, and the grass root aid is alsways better than the Gov agents guarding their jobs.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Such irony that mother nature delivers. Out here it's so dry the state is making us install meters on our co-op well service, which will cost $12k per house. We get 7 years to pay that and that is quite a bargain considering what flood damage can cost. Is this just the beginning of a long haul - hope you can raise the knee and keep your feet dry...
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

12k for a water meter??
I know there are 'smart' meters now, but a meter would have to be prescient to merit that price.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

The reason is because they need to abandon the old main and route a new one in the street. Right now it runs through backyards and is old and failing. The whole system is co-op so the residents need to pay.

An alternative is that the co-op sells the well to a larger water company and then we would get a regular monthly bill, which is typically near $300/mo. so I've heard.

There is still a couple years for them to think about it and we are just renting, but the owners have said we would need to pay for those services. Right now the water bill is bundled in with the rent as it is a twice/year fixed payment.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...