Brass

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Brass

Post by Harold_V »

Yep! And you're still here to talk with us.
I dunno. Maybe science is trying to err on the side of safety, but it seems to me that we have given up way too much in the name of safety. I can't help but wonder if, maybe, we instilled a little common sense in folks instead of depriving them of useful things might be a better solution. Seems precious few, these days, are able to make a decent decision about almost anything.

I'm getting old, and likely, crotchety. Maybe that's my problem, and the reason I'm so cynical.

Heavy sigh!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:39 am I can't help but wonder if, maybe, we instilled a little common sense in folks
Good luck with that one!
Harold_V wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:39 amI'm getting old, and likely, crotchety. Maybe that's my problem, and the reason I'm so cynical.
You're not alone...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

GlennW wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:27 am
Harold_V wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:39 am I can't help but wonder if, maybe, we instilled a little common sense in folks
Good luck with that one!
Harold_V wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:39 amI'm getting old, and likely, crotchety. Maybe that's my problem, and the reason I'm so cynical.
You're not alone...
Agreed. I predict one day it will be bad to breathe air that is "too clean".
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:39 am I can't help but wonder if, maybe, we instilled a little common sense in folks instead of depriving them of useful things might be a better solution. Seems precious few, these days, are able to make a decent decision about almost anything. H
Common sense is apparently not so common. There is an article in the newspaper today about a 16 yr old, a 17 yr old and a 21 yr old. One of them had a gun and the 17 yr old did the Russian roulette thing and it did not end well.

Must be one of the video games put the idea in their heads. There is no reset button in real life.
Too bad their parents didn't take them hunting or to the range to acquaint them with the finality of firearms. (Oops, sorry for the editorial.)
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

A friend took his boy's out and shot a hog with a .308 and had them all examine it to get the point across that firearms aren't toys...

Talking about the dangers and then putting some holes in paper doesn't leave the same impression.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!