Using 811 For Finding Underground Wires

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: Using 811 For Finding Underground Wires

Post by liveaboard »

When the local municipal workers dug up the water main outside my house, they used a backhoe.
Mains pipe is plastic.
They uncovered it without breaking it!
That guy was stroking the bucket along like stroking a baby's bottom.
I expressed my admiration of the skill of the machine operator.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

There are few operators out there who are true artists - he would be one of them. The typical operator would take a big swipe and come up with the whole main draped over the bucket.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

A kid I grew up with has his own excavating company.

When he was excavating for my brother's house, he picked up a flower and handed it to my brother - with the bucket.

Steve
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

rrnut-2 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:56 am"too bad its science fiction"!
My neighbor was having sewer backup problems, so he called a plumber. They ran a camera through his lines and discovered that his line ran into mine (later joined by an unknown neighbors line...), all of which ran into a city sewer along the street BEHIND our houses.

Together, we spent $16k to have the pipes lined. Of course, until now, the city had NO record of any of this! Fortunately, the company we used has access to update the city's records, so any future property owners will know.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

My ex wife and I purchased a sub-division house shortly after we were married. In front we planted several tams, and wanted to keep the garden hose out of them, so I welded a 1" eye on a 3' piece of pipe and drove it in to the ground. The eye was intended to keep the hose in a straight line from the sill cock until it was well past the tams.

We had selected a corner lot, with about 75' of frontage. Who do you know that would have the "good fortune" to locate the waterline? For me, it was no problem at all. I hit it almost dead center with the pipe I drove in to the ground. Didn't take long for me to figure out that the water I could hear running was from the hole I just punched in the pipe.

If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all! :shock:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Well, that's one way to keep your trees watered...
Patio

Post by Patio »

I am an electrical contractor. 811 will locate all the utilities lines, for free. The utilities pay them to do so, as it is cheaper than repairing lines. They will not locate a private line, without a charge. (Call 811 to find out who they use in your area and what they charge.) Once the lines are drawn on the ground, you may not use power equipment, within 2' of the lines, or you pay. If you find a line, while digging outside of the 2' area, they pay for the repair.
Call around to your local electical company's, one of them is bound to own a locator, or see if you can rent one, from a rental store in your area. I do locating sometimes with a cheap version of what the pros use. Sometimes it works great, others, not so much.
Good luck!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!