Oil can

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

hoppercar

Oil can

Post by hoppercar »

Why can't i find a good quality, pump oil can ?... the oil cans like at lowes, home depot..are just typical Chinese junk. There usually plastic, with molded threads, and the kids won't stay screwed on. Found some I thought might work, for one home, and you have to pump it about 200 times, before it even begins to try to pump oul, then it leaked around the plunger packing....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...maybe that will be my new project this winter, get some brass tube, and make a reliable pump oil can
BadDog

Re: Oil can

Post by BadDog »

I've mentioned several times that I gave up on those type oil cans years ago. I use lab "wash down" bottles. Vastly better solution, cheap, and can hold most any common fluids and dispense with precision. The only problem I've found is reliably marking them as to content. Solvent prep with sharpy helps, but frankly, a tie-tag or the like is really the best option.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

hoppercar wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:20 pmmaybe that will be my new project this winter, get some brass tube, and make a reliable pump oil can
Or just buy one from these guys.

https://www.dutton-lainson.com/categories.php?cat=31
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

The Dutton Lainson oilers are the ones I have and I'm pretty happy with them, I ordered mine from McMaster
but they're a buck cheaper direct for Dutton Lainson for the #600 oiler.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Amazon has sturdy steel oil cans.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

Whatever Amazon has, I like Dutton Lainson .