How to Get Stem Out of Broken Faucet?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

How to Get Stem Out of Broken Faucet?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I wonder if there are any plumbing geniuses here.

My dad has dementia, and he breaks things. He managed to break a faucet stem in his bathroom. Now that he is in memory care, I have finally been able to clean up the bathroom and work on the faucet.

This stupid thing is incomprehensible. I cannot figure out how to remove it from the faucet. The underside is hopeless. The valves are joined by a copper thing which is soldered or welded to both sides. The stem has to come out from above.

There is what may possibly be called an escutcheon plate over the valve. It may be holding it down in the faucet. I tried to remove it with a pick, but it will not budge.

How do I get this thing out?

I don't even know what brand the faucet is. The sink says Kohler on it, but I have the same faucet on a sink labeled "Eljer."
Attachments
01 24 19 broken faucet stem small.jpg
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Re: How to Get Stem Out of Broken Faucet?

Post by SteveHGraham »

Turns out it's a Moen faucet.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

There is a tool to take Moen faucets apart.
There are two sizes.
You can buy one at Home Depot, or Lowes, etc.
They are cheap & cheesy.
Or you can build your own.

Here's a batch I designed & made, that works for both sizes, for a friend who, amazingly enough, owns & runs a plumbing business. I made one, one size, fits all....with the assistance of an open end wrench.
I make him a 6-pack of these critters now & then, as he passes them out to his 'children', but of course, over time, some of the children lose theirs, or leave the nest.
100_3294.jpg
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks for the help.

It turned out there was a part that was held on by hardened lime, and once I unscrewed it, things worked out okay. Amazon had the parts I needed, which is remarkable. Now I don't have to drive to town.