Pests

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

armscor 1

Pests

Post by armscor 1 »

Went to use my trusty power hacksaw, pressed start and would only run with start button held in, retain contact in contactor not functioning.
Disassembled contactor an found insect larvae between contacts, cleaned and now working.
Had to cap the air hose connecters on all my air tools, wasps love to block them with a hard brown substance.
Went to check the oil level on my trusty Ford and a rat had decided to remove the rubber insulation on the air con tubes.
My bamboo hut in the garden is framed with coconut lumber and clad in bamboo, had it standing on concrete blocks but the termites made a track up the electrical conduit ate the coco lumber but did not touch the bamboo, completely destroyed.
SteveHGraham

Re: Pests

Post by SteveHGraham »

My aunt tried to grow peanuts. She was neurotic about cleanliness, so after she dug her peanuts, she insisted on washing them. They got moldy, and all of them had to be thrown out.

The next year, she knew better than to wash them. She stored them in her basement. One day she checked on them, and they were gone. She found them in a filing cabinet and a gallon jug. A mouse had moved them, one at a time. She threw that crop out, too. Mouse germs.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Only the insulation on the aircon?
Nothing!
My Portuguese rats ate right through the pressure hose.
Termites you say?
In India, I had roof beams falling into the bedroom. One time, they ate all my cash! they'll eat clothes, rugs, any organic matter.
They just need water, that's why they have to build a bridge/tunnel to the target [they can then bring the water they need for digestion]. if you can keep things dry, they can't eat it.

Those wasps, I know them well. We have them here in Portugal too; yes, any hole will be filled with a rock hard abrasive mystery substance. They seem to particularly prize sensitive equipment and electrical plug holes.
recently I wanted to make a couple of nuts from a piece of hexagon rad I got from a scrapyard; it was forged with a 7mm hole in the middle. That wasp stuff ruined a drill bit.
Bamboo is normally eaten by a specialized smaller insect that leaves 2mm round holes from which a steady stream of white dust falls, until holes is all there is left.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Gotta love bamboo, you can eat when they're shoots, and build with it when mature, the high silica content
in the fibers probably wasn't to the termites taste.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

In Miami, roaches are 2" long, and at night, they sometimes fly into people's faces. They also bite and leave red bumps. Really disgusting to feel a pinch and find out a roach ate a piece of you.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I had the callouses of my feet eaten by a rat as I slept in a hotel room.
Next night I wrapped my feet in a blanket and he woke me up trying to get it open; I kicked it across the room [hit the wall with a satisfying thump]. After that, he went elsewhere for his dinner.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

During carpenter bee season, they eat holes in any unprotected wood. They will borrow into the handles of garden tools leaving a 1/2" hole that greatly weakens the tool.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

We have Carpenter Bees up here in sunny NE Ohio. No matter what one does, they appear again and drill more holes.
Carpenter Bee Damage
Carpenter Bee Damage
Maybe I should buy a Bee house, or just let them be(e).
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

My truck was running on 7 one morning. Dealer say: sorry, not a warranty covered issue. Vermin ate into a coil harness.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

earlgo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:36 pm We have Carpenter Bees up here in sunny NE Ohio. No matter what one does, they appear again and drill more holes.carpenter bee damage.jpg Maybe I should buy a Bee house, or just let them be(e).
--earlgo
Put on an aluminum facia and let them chew on that.