How to Remove Rope from Chainsaw Chamber?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

How to Remove Rope from Chainsaw Chamber?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have a fun new challenge for everyone.

I installed a new drum on my chainsaw. I had read that when removing a chainsaw clutch, it was important to insert a piece of rope in the chamber to keep the piston from moving. I put 3/8" nylon rope in my chamber. Now the rope is pinched in there somehow, and the piston will not budge.

The clutch end of the crank is smooth and won't accept a wrench. The starting-cord end has a nut on it, but I don't know which way to turn it. The only option is to tighten it, because it will come off if I go the other way, but what if it makes the rope-pinching worse?

I made a wooden dowel, inserted it through the spark plug hole, and banged on it to knock the piston back down, but it won't work.

I considered removing the cylinder, but once the screws were out, the piston seemed locked onto the engine...block or whatever. I am reluctant to pry it off, and besides, the piston may hold it in place for all I know.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
mihit

Re: How to Remove Rope from Chainsaw Chamber?

Post by mihit »

If it was cotton or hemp rope I'd say burn it out, but at this point I'd say you're limited to pulling the head.

You could try, if there's enough tail, wrappng it around something you can then apply a bit of winding/leverage to. (Do not lever off cooling fins, if winding then flat across the top of the head should be fine.)

Small motors don't need a lot of force to assemble.
spro

Post by spro »

I never used the rope method but can see it may work. Your luck allowed the very end strands to get wedged. Question; does the piston appear to be locked at the top, bottom or middle of stroke? It should have come loose if it was in the middle, during the pounding.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

These guys are always good to deal with on chainsaws. I have had work done there for me personally and for the FD. It may be worth a call.
http://www.madsens1.com/
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

It is likely that you got the end of the rope wedged into the exhaust port or transfer port. Remove the muffler so you can see the piston. The transfer port would be lower in the cylinder so you might be able to see if that is where the rope wedged. You might be able to (very carefully so you don't ruin the piston) pry the piston down to relieve the wedging.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have learned that I made some errors, one of which was using the rope method in the first place. I inserted the rope through the exhaust port.

People are telling me to remove the cylinder.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

If you can see the top of the piston alongside the rope you might be able to use a wooden wedge to force the piston down. If you can't see the top of the piston you might be able to remove the spark plug and use a wooden dowel and small hammer to drive the piston down. If neither of those work you will remove the cylinder.