steamin10 (Big Dave)

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

steamin10 (Big Dave)

Post by Harold_V »

Readers,
Thought you might like to know that our good friend steamin10 is in the hospital. He's been going through a few problems, not the least of which is his heart. He has been retaining water around his lungs, and has potential kidney issues. He requires surgery, but has a lung infection which must be dealt with before they can entertain the surgery. Thought you might like to know, so you could keep a good thought for him.
Sorry to announce this in the junk drawer, as it is certainly not junk---but it's the venue in which we can discuss issues such as this.

Get better, Big Dave. There's still a lot of things we have to resolve before you depart this world. :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
curtis cutter

Re: steamin10 (Big Dave)

Post by curtis cutter »

We are fortunate to live in this world at a time when these types of issues can be dealt with.

Big Dave, if you are able to log on and respond, perhaps you can elaborate on the issues you are having and with all of these machinists here maybe someone can make a new part for you.

Get better soon!
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Get well soon, Dave, we are keeping you in our thoughts.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Good luck Dave! I hope it goes well and you are back at it soon.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

Big Dave, You are a friend and mentor.I certainly hope that the recovery is fine.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Hey big Dave. There's nekkid women in your shop waiting for your recovery.....
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Really sorry to hear this. He will be on my prayer list tonight.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:26 am Readers,
Thought you might like to know that our good friend steamin10 is in the hospital...He has been retaining water around his lungs...
The "water around [the] lungs" thing sounds like pleural effusion. Pleural effusion is the buildup of fluid in the pleural cavity, which is the space containing the lungs. As the fluid is incompressible, the lungs are not able to fully expand when the patient attempts to inhale. The patient thus may feel as though he or she is drowning due to the breathing difficulty. Mechanical respiration may be needed to assist such a patient.

Pleural effusion is often a side-effect of cardiac problems, such as congestive heart failure. The effusion may also be a lingering result of undergoing open heart surgery or other thoracic procedures. Regardless of cause, it's serious and requires prompt attention.

A short-term therapy for pleural effusion is a procedure referred to as a thoracentesis, In a thoracentesis, the pleural cavity is penetrated with a cannula (hollow needle) by an interventional radiologist and fluid is aspirated into a container, under local anesthetic. The fluid is then analyzed in the lab to attempt to determine the cause of the effusion, as well as the presence of other pathologies, and to assist in formulating a more lasting solution. If pleural effusion persists, a procedure call a pleurodesis may be undertaken to try to get a more permanent correction, if the patient's condition will tolerate invasive thoracic surgery.

This is a very serious issue for Big Dave and as one who has gone through pleural effusion and the associated therapies multiple times, I wish him the very best. It won't be easy but if he responds to treatment, better days lie ahead.

Get well, Dave!
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
K. Browers

Post by K. Browers »

Hi Big Dave,
Hang in there I need to read more of your progress on your farm. You have been knocked down before and you have always gotten up this time I wish you get up running. I think most of us agree we could use a few hungred more pages added here by you.. All the best
Karel
b4autodark

Post by b4autodark »

Harold, thanks for posting this. Big Dave, I had open heart surgery 6 weeks ago and it's no picnic. You will get through it. Hug your pillow and try not to sneeze! The best part is when your body hair grows back and you feel human again.

Hang in there fellow putz,
b4autodark
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Whey You get better,We need a few more stories. Get well quick, and don't pick any fights.
nabob

Post by nabob »

Best wishes for a good recovery; always good and educational to hear your thoughts . As Harold says, we need more. nabob