Angle Grinder Rant

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Angle Grinder Rant

Post by SteveHGraham »

I used the new grinder tonight while practicing TIG. I already had confidence in the grinder, because half of the engineers on Youtube have torn them apart on camera, but it was nice to see how well that $5 wheel worked.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

liveaboard wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:10 pm You Americans and your paltry, inadequate little 110V plugs...
Well, I thought there would be a big outcry of proud patriots defending US electrical goods.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I think mainly we pride ourselves on knowing the difference between toilet paper and sandpaper.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Meh.
Patriotism is over rated, and often leads to questionable results.
Global thinking is better for the human race...and electrical outlets.
~RN
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I don't actually know which system is better. I know I don't like hiring electricians to install special 240 outlets.

I would think the risk of death would be substantially higher with 240, but I don't shock myself very often.

That Euro toilet paper is bad news. Not backing down on that. Figuratively or literally.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Euro toilet paper? Is that another one of those Al Gore things?
Over here in Europe, it's just toilet paper.

I do my own electrics; not actually legal but no one cares where I live. I just put in normal 220V 16A outlets, get them anywhere.
I can plug in my welder in my bedroom...
380V 3-phase outlets are less common but standardized throughout the EU, so my machines from Netherlands just plug in here in Portugal.
3-phase power is available almost everywhere; but not usually installed. It's at the pole here in rural areas, in cities it's run to the meter box so the option is available.

Regular domestic 220V EU plugs and outlets are huge compared to the US ones. This is great in the workshop or for extension cords [they need a solid pull to disengage]. But as I said, in the house not so great, especially these days when a TV or computer area will have 8 or more small users. Then the massive EU outlets are just silly.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yeah, we kinda got screwed on electrical standards regarding 110V and generally (made) available 3 phase...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Putting 3-phase into my shop only cost me a little over $3000. I used a phase converter. A pittance.

I was quoted $6000 to put in 240 outlets here. I can't even guess what running 3-phase to my house would cost.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yeah, RPCs are the way to go here, though for $3k, ouch!

Running true 3PH "from the pole" gets real stupid real fast. They flat don't want to do it, and place all the bureaucratic and cost (punitive) hurdles possible in your way.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

In other news, the Flapper Adapter and yet ANOTHER angle grinder arrived today, bringing me up to a total of 3 4-1/2" grinders. Now I'm trying to figure out which job is best for the weakest grinder: cutting, grinding, or the knot wheel. I sort of think the knot wheel requires the least torque. I still want a tiny grinder for the Flapper Adapter and burrs or pads or whatever, and I definitely want a big 6" Metabo for cutting. I saw a video where one beat a cutting torch for half-inch steel, every time.

The Flapper Adapter was $50, but it's a big-time machined American tool. Or maybe forged...I better go have another look. Anyway, very nice piece of work.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I had it put in my house; I had to pay an electrician but it wasn't too bad.
He put in a new breaker box with a lot of empty space, and left me a box of breakers to put in as the house wiring came together.
I ran 3-phase underground cable to my sheds, 2 containers, a camping trailer, the pump house, and an outbuilding.
my yard is pretty much crisscrossed with pipes and wires...

I have a lot of 3-phase gear. A gantry chain hoist, a couple of wood saws, drill press, lathe, 2 little bench grinders, a pressure washer, and an 8kw ceramic kiln.

But the energy cost here is very high; around 25 US cents per kwh, and a high monthly standing charge too.
I envy you in the US for the cheap energy there.

Portugal made 60% of it's electricity from renewable sources in 2018.

Grinder vs torch for cutting; grinders don't like to make curves.
Also, they're really loud.
After torch cutting, you need to dress the edge with a grinder anyway.
1/2" plate with a grinder? Masochism!
I use a torch for cutting plate.
And I have cut quite a lot of plate, but only 5mm [5/16" I think]
L
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

liveaboard wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:04 pm
And I have cut quite a lot of plate, but only 5mm [5/16" I think]
L
Not quite. 5/16" = .3125".
5 mm = .1968"
¼" = .250"
5 mm plate is just barely more than 3/16".

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.