Fix Your Gas Can

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Fix Your Gas Can

Post by SteveHGraham »

While I have been struggling with the effects of ethanol gas, I have also been dealing with gas cans that will not work.

A few years back, Obama's EPA decided we had to be nannied when we poured gas, so they passed a regulation requiring the useless and baffling spouts we now see on new gas cans. These things are amazing. They're supposed to keep hydrocarbons from spilling and evaporating, but when you try to use one, you can count on spilling several ounces of fuel. On top of that, they are very hard to operate. I just bought a 5-gallon can that requires you to do two things with one hand while lifting the full can with the other. I'm fairly strong, and I find it difficult. For a woman, it would be impossible. I mean an actual woman, as we knew them in the pre-Jenner, pre-steroid days.

I found two solutions. Amazon sells replacement spouts for new cans, and they also sell vents you can install, so the gas actually flows. Ebay has lots of old gas cans with normal spouts. Old cans sell for a fortune now, so if you have any you don't want, this is the time to sell them.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Re: Fix Your Gas Can

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I thought all those stupid safety spouts had more to do wth the lawsuits against the late, and once great, Blitz USA.
Seems several people and a team of lawyers didn’t know that you shouldn’t throw gasoline on a fire, and blamed the gas cans for their lack of comprehension of such a simple concept after being burned.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

I bought one of those silly three-handed spout cans for white kerosene for the garage heater. My solution was three running steps and an overarm motion toward the back fence. Now I unscrew the top and pour the kero through a funnel. Works every time.
For the lawn mower I use an older style Eagle Safety can with the removable funnel.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If I run out of fuel oil, I use a 5 gallon diesel can and get some from the gas station.

The filler on my house is at eye level due to the ground level and angled slightly so that the oil man can get to it, so I have to hold the entire can over my head, stick the nozzle in, and catch a little tab on the edge of the filler neck.

The end result is that it fills too fast and I end up spilling it on the ground.

I took a filler cap, threaded it with the largest pipe tap I had (1-1/4" pipe), threaded in a nipple and an elbow (to level the opening, as my filler is at an angle) and now I can take off the spout and pour about as fast as it will come out. Takes about 1/4 of the time, and I didn't spill anything.

Steve