Save my Lawn Tractor's Rockshaft Cylinder

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Save my Lawn Tractor's Rockshaft Cylinder

Post by SteveHGraham »

Found some used ones from Matco, Mac, and Proto. Hoping for the best.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:13 pm Found some used ones from Matco, Mac, and Proto. Hoping for the best.
All are top notch tools. I have more Proto hand tools than any others.
Matco used to be who actually made Mac tools, but that changed when they were bought by Danaher.....who owned Armstrong, Allen, and a bunch of others at the time. Not sure who they belong to now....I don't keep up anymore. Too confusing.....
It's a soap opera.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
spro

Post by spro »

Those are all good names. I hope the best for you too. The worst thing that ... not going there yet but some PB or Kroil will help. BUT YOU already Know that now. If there is any looseness in the wrench/ attachment fitment, proceed with care. The worst thing is where the slipping wrench has compressed and deformed the joint. We've been there, many of us. The other thing is Broken. The torque on these must be light because they are hollow. A person can snap off a bleed fitting in a fine minute because they are hollow. Hey. It all worked when assembled :)
spro

Post by spro »

I was actually replying to Steve G. It was fortunate for my friend warmstrong1955 to be here. He knows tools every which way and... something else... My flag tends to get twisted, so i will modify that within 3 minutes.
spro

Post by spro »

Only continuing about the flag. The Flag became slight hooked on a zip tie. The reason for the zip tie was because I often fly it at half mast. What was I thinking yesterday, when Memorial Day is the actual time !
There is more to this and Patriots around. Dang. They aren't all in The Cemetery. They would note the difference. When I said "dang", it was so short and so hard to comprehend the loss and flat out murder. Must be another topic because it has stretched to 3-4 days.
I can't tell what others could. Memorial Day is only one day of many but it is the King. By that, there are special other days which revere so many other deaths-Oh yes Loss is death and so many. Do us not forget the service of the earlier Wars and men joined, to end up shot to pieces. ONE DAY doesn't make it.
Rolling Thunder has had to pay DC gov't Thousands$$ just to drive hundreds or thousand miles to get there. This is the last one. Ain't that something that DC is so un Patriotic that they can't give them a break. Damn. Imagine the work and effort, these cool rides. Every piece of the machine makes a statement and the owner knows lots more than that. I never knew they would have to PAY for that.
This may change.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Thanks Steve, you jinxed my tractor! Wife is using the tractor and today everything she touched broke. She comes into the shop and tells me that its leaking hydraulic fluid. Yup, the steel line that goes from the valve to the loader up motion is cracked just under the floor board next to a hydraulic line mount. The fog of hydrauic fluid gave it away. Hey, it only leaks when the loader is raised! I had to put a diaper of oilsorb around the lines to try to catch most of it. Changing that line will require removing the right hand rear wheel, the fender, the floor board and probably most of the other lines just to get at the fittings. But first, I have to order the parts.

Jim B
spro

Post by spro »

It is appropriate to say double dang darn now.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

rrnut-2 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:13 pm Thanks Steve, you jinxed my tractor! Wife is using the tractor and today everything she touched broke. She comes into the shop and tells me that its leaking hydraulic fluid. Yup, the steel line that goes from the valve to the loader up motion is cracked just under the floor board next to a hydraulic line mount. The fog of hydrauic fluid gave it away. Hey, it only leaks when the loader is raised! I had to put a diaper of oilsorb around the lines to try to catch most of it. Changing that line will require removing the right hand rear wheel, the fender, the floor board and probably most of the other lines just to get at the fittings. But first, I have to order the parts.

Jim B
Don't worry. The fine engineers at John Deere have done everything possible to make the repair a pleasant experience.

Wait...you didn't say it was a John Deere. Maybe there is hope.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

It's a John Deere 28hp, but don't worry all of the brands have their moments.

Jim B