junk

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Russ Hanscom

junk

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Die heads are a wonderful tool, they make great threads except when you put a chaser, actually has to be two,
DSC01630.JPG
in the wrong slot.

Part salvaged by making a new stub thread, cutting off the bad end, and hot gluing on a good end. 7/8"-9 example shown.
Harold_V

Re: junk

Post by Harold_V »

Chuckke!

Nice!

Even nicer when the chasers are in the proper slide.

Funny how things like that happen. Like the time I struggled putting a battery in a '40 LaSalle hooked to the wrong polarity. Seemed right while I was struggling. :roll:

Heavy sigh!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

Those big long 6 volt batteries. They had some amps!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

The LaSalle used the typical rectangular battery, but I'm well familiar with the long ones you spoke of, as I owned three straight eight Buicks as a young lad. Buick used them until they went to the V8 engine in '53, at which time they switched to 12 volts and the rectangular battery we now recognize.
I haven't thought about those old batteries for years!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

I don't mean to but I never met a fellow who had three straight eight Buicks. These were the step above the the Olds of my youth. Flat out cool autos and Heavy flat heads. Aggressive looking autos with grills that looked to eat. Pontiac had chrome strips and you could identify them.
Yep. Long time ago.
spro

Post by spro »

I was going to mention chasers, die heads and such. Adjustable die head chasers are meant to go to the size they were ground. There is some "wiggle room" to where a first pass is wider but does cut the meat.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

spro wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:06 am I don't mean to but I never met a fellow who had three straight eight Buicks.
My first one was a '41 Special four door sedan. Second one was '51 Super convertible. Third one was a '51 Super two door Riviera (postless hardtop). I put the same '55 V8 engine in the two '51's.
These were the step above the the Olds of my youth. Flat out cool autos and Heavy flat heads.
The Olds was third in line. Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chevrolet. LaSalle was built by Cadillac.

I trust you were making reference to the Olds having the flat head engine. They turned to overhead design in '49, if memory serves, with their first V8. Buick was the first maker to design and use an overhead design in a production car, so they had been overhead engines for ever, or so it seems. Interestingly, Cadillac made them both ways, depending on the year of manufacture, which I find to be rather strange, as it's pretty much accepted that a flat head can't perform as well as an overhead. Early big engines (V-12 and V-16) were overhead, while later big engines were flatheads. Strange, no?

H
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

I had an old 4 port Roadmaster.

I liked my 48 Dodge pickup more. Maybe it was the hood scoop or the floor starter. The hood scoop was used to keep the engine blowby out of the cab.... :)
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:49 amBuick was the first maker to design and use an overhead design in a production car, so they had been overhead engines for ever, or so it seems.
Something else often forgotten was the small-block V8 that Chevy introduced in 1955 wasn't their first V8. That would have been in 1918 with the introduction of the Model D, which had an overhead valve V8. The Model D was a commercial flop and the V8 was discontinued.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
spro

Post by spro »

We remember our earlier cars and how we had to fix them.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

I re ringed a 41 Buick straight 8 and adjusted the big end bearing caps, cast in Babbit with shims many years ago.
Could stay in third gear going around corners in the suburbs!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

In 1955, a guy from Pocatello Idaho built a dragster powered by a Buick straight eight. Turned a consistent 108 MPH time and again, although I have no memory of how long it took. Certainly nothing like today, but it was fun to see and hear.

Thanks for the comments on the early Chev V8, BDD. I hadn't heard about that before.

H