McMaster-Carr

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz

Mr Ron

McMaster-Carr

Post by Mr Ron » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:50 pm

Everyone loves McMaster-Carr for their quality products and delivery time, but I ordered a strip of brass, 1/16" thick x 1/4" wide x 24" long and it arrived in a box that measured 6" x 7" x 25". I also ordered an 1/8" end mill that arrived in a box that measured 6" x 3" x 9" and a 5' length of 1/2" delrin rod in a 6' long cardboard tube. There has to be a more economical way to ship such items.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi

TomB

Re: McMaster-Carr

Post by TomB » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:33 am

I order from McMaster Carr very often, perhaps once every 2 weeks. I have noticed that whatever I order it always comes in a box that is much larger than what I would have expected. But I also notice that nothing I get from them is damaged in shipping. Many little things are taped in the center of a piece if stiff cardboard that just fits in the box and holds the actual part of material 2 or 3 inches from the outside of the box in any direction. Their shipping cost a lot but I have to say that is always gets me the item without shipping damage.

earlgo

Post by earlgo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:55 am

This may not be the definitive answer, but whenever I order something at McM-C and pick it up on site, it still comes in a shipping sized box with all the shipping labels. If you ever get to visit a McM-C you will see nothing from the will-call area but conveyors. I think the box size is determined by what is able to be transferred by the conveyor system with 100% success. No one wants to stop all the conveyors while someone climbs up and dislodges a stuck box. Just my observation.
--earlgo (15 mi from the Aurora, OH warehouse)
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.

BigDumbDinosaur

Post by BigDumbDinosaur » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:40 pm

Mr Ron wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:50 pm
Everyone loves McMaster-Carr for their quality products and delivery time, but I ordered a strip of brass, 1/16" thick x 1/4" wide x 24" long and it arrived in a box that measured 6" x 7" x 25". I also ordered an 1/8" end mill that arrived in a box that measured 6" x 3" x 9" and a 5' length of 1/2" delrin rod in a 6' long cardboard tube. There has to be a more economical way to ship such items.
The cost of a carton or shipping tube is small in the scheme of things. Distributors of McMaster's size buy those things by the truckload and pay very little per unit for them. Almost all of the shipping cost is the actual transportation and delivery. In the case of the Delrin rod, shipping tubes come in standard lengths that are usually multiples of 2. So using a 6 foot tube to ship a 5 foot piece makes sense. It's cheaper labor-wise to pack the ends with cushioning material than it is to have an employee cut down the tube to 5 feet. :D

As others noted, an oversize carton can do a better job of protecting the goods during transit. We regularly order from McMaster and have had nothing damaged during shipment to date.
——————————————————————————————————
I'm a caterwauling curmudgeon. What's your excuse? ☻