Hobby or Obsession?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

armscor 1

Hobby or Obsession?

Post by armscor 1 »

My Brother is an avid collector of older style Chainsaws, fully restored and excellent working condition.
Estimated total weight at 7000 pounds.
110 in total and more coming.
Collects vintage Axes and lawnmowers also.
Whatever turns your crank.
Attachments
IMG-20201003-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20201003-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20201003-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20201003-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20201003-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20201003-WA0006.jpg
Steggy

Re: Hobby or Obsession?

Post by Steggy »

:D He could make one heck of a chainsaw massacre movie, eh?
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

NO, please don't massacre those chainsaws!
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Up to 100 chainsaws is an hobby, beyond that is an obsession but if makes him happy is all that counts. Beside a shrink would cost more.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Hobby or obsession?

Yes.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Tree lover.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
TomB

Post by TomB »

I'm truly amazed that one person could get that many small gas engines working. I seem to have more small gas engines around here that I would ever want to have but three are not start-able and have been so for years. Further, in my area, Southern VT mountains, there are a number of people that have a reputation for getting small engines to run but my experience is that even though they demonstrate how they can just pull the handle and listen to noise, once I take the engine home it will not start for me.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

TomB wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:29 am...in my area, Southern VT mountains, there are a number of people that have a reputation for getting small engines to run but my experience is that even though they demonstrate how they can just pull the handle and listen to noise, once I take the engine home it will not start for me.
A small engine is like a mule. If it senses you are in the least way tense or upset with it, no matter how small the degree, it will become stupifyingly stubborn and WILL NOT START! :D

You need to approach a small engine in a non-threatening way, speak in a low, soothing voice, scratch it behind the carburetor, tickle its governor, offer it some high-octane gas and once you've got its confidence, give that rope a pull and she'll fire right up. Trust me! I've been playing with small engines since before I was in high school (and that was in the 1950s) and thanks to thousands of rope burns, sprained wrists and other assorted injuries from trying to start recalcitrant ones, I know! :twisted:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Banning mechanical defect all engine starts. If they do not is too much air or not enough, too much gas or not enough and not enough spark.
Have been playing with model airplane engine since I was 11.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

What Mr. Tornitore45 said. I had a recalcitrant BS v-twin and it had a bad seal on the throttle plate and was letting in too much air. Fixed it and away we went.
Throttle seal.jpg
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Brother was trying to start a large gear drive chainsaw missing the pull start which he was waiting for, using drill to turn it over and no luck, spent days on it.
Discovered only 2 gears for drive, no intermediate like the large Macs, yep reverse running engine, started immediately.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Almost anything starts if you pump enough ether down the intake
Too many things going on to bother listing them.