Warren & Brown torque wrench

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

op910

Warren & Brown torque wrench

Post by op910 »

Picked up a small W & B torque wrench at an auction Model 320300. Measures up to 20Nm (180 in lbs). It has an unusual female square drive end on it. Measured at 7.42mm square (neat). Appears to be not modified or worn.

Anyone seen this before. I can make up my own adapter to drive standard sockets etc, but just interested why this odd size.

Rod
gamachinist

Re: Warren & Brown torque wrench

Post by gamachinist »

With such an odd size,it was a special for who knows what.Some of my dads old rachets had square holes in the head.These didn't reverse so you pushed the square drive from one side to the other to reverse direction.They were 1/2" square drive.
I saw a lot of special torque wrenchs yesterday on a dealers page.Some had open ends,and a few had hook spanners on the end.
Robert.
Preston

Post by Preston »

Many German torque wrenches use this system. Hazet and Stahawillie if i spelled is correctley. Not hard to find the attachments but would have to check and see if there 7mm ect. Preston the Cornwell tool man.
op910

Post by op910 »

Thanks Preston,
Actually I'm flying to England tomorrow with work. Briefly stopping at Frankfurt airport (not long enough to go on a tool search but). However may find some adapters / attachments in the UK now that there is "one Europe"!!

Thanks and regards,
Rod
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Why the odd sizes and drive types? I'm not sure but thought that it might have to do with keeping the tools from walking off, if you know what I mean. I have a pretty good set of 5/8" drive sockets and driving tools for them including a bow-tie plus a few (Bonney and Proto) x-millitary 11/32" drive sockets and driver handles (Tee and breaker, no ratchet). I'm hoping they are collectors items worth a fortune along with 11 new Bonney 31/32 " 12 pt. 3/4" drive sockets (apparently the unit pack was a dozen on these). [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.

Post by 46204 »

I have a couple of those torque wrench's and the size drive you refer to is correct. They are made in Australia and drive adaptors to suit that size are quite common down here.
millman5

Post by millman5 »

Picked up a small W & B torque wrench at an auction Model 320300. Measures up to 20Nm (180 in lbs). It has an unusual female square drive end on it. Measured at 7.42mm square (neat). Appears to be not modified or worn.

Anyone seen this before. I can make up my own adapter to drive standard sockets etc, but just interested why this odd size.

Rod

Be nice if the worl was on some sort of standard measurment huh?????
If it works Don't fix it....
Peter_S

Post by Peter_S »

I have a much larger Warren & Brown (later ones had 'Repco' name if I remember correctly). It has a female square drive too (1/2"). They originally come with a male square which fits into the female hole, and which then sticks out the correct amount for a socket etc. The male piece has a spring-loaded ball to prevent it falling out of the torque wrench. I suggest your one is made to take a 1/4" drive, so you should be looking for a 1/4" square, about twice as long as the depth of your female socket, preferably with two spring loaded balls, ie one for the torque wrench, one for the socket.