revist of the online machining calculator site

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

gezr

revist of the online machining calculator site

Post by gezr »

I really would love some input as to what types of calculators I could put into a web page so that we dont have to fumble with filthy hands trying to compute say a 5 hole circle.
I really think that you guys could come up with some interesting things that need computed. I should be getting a response back from the Machineries handbook folks as to what they hold the rights to but for the math stuff, I can easly do things to generate answers for all of us, things like;
rise/run for angles or distances
sin tables
sin bar calculator
bolt circle calculator
stuff like that shouldnt be that hard to devise a nice looking set of pages for, but I do require input as to what you guys think is necessary. I want to do this for everyone including allowing the source to be available so others could use the code also. Programing is what Im trying to learn, and this is a perfect way to get the direction I should go. please help with what you might think is important.
thanks
Phil
acme thread calculator and its source
acme calculator
acme calc source
kurt

Re: revist of the online machining calculator site

Post by kurt »

I, for one, would like a converson cal, metric to US, that would run the entire corse.
Steve_Steven

Post by Steve_Steven »

There are several sites already with many calculators, one is Marv Klotz's site at http://www.geocities.com/mklotz.geo/

Steve
gezr

Post by gezr »

That site lists a lot of downloadable programs, I can use that big time for a helper on what may be needed to create. Im just wanting to have a web site that will save the steps of downloading and decompressing files to do a simple bit of math. Execlent site never the less and thanks big time [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img].
Ill try to add some graphics to acme and then add a bolt circle one within the next 5 days, Ill also upgrade/change my existing site from phpnuke to something more friendly, I dont like the phpnuke stuff and never modified it for I didnt ever have a need to do anything with it.
thanks
Phil
AJA

Post by AJA »

What about a program like winmiter?
AJ
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Kurt,
I like "Convert" (see link), it covers most metric/imperial/US conversions and you can add your own... best of all, it's FREE...
Convert
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
kurt

Post by kurt »

Cool Bryan, Thanks
Ronnie

Off Set Key Calculator

Post by Ronnie »

I would like to see a calculator to calculate the dimension in making an Off Set Key. For example: take a 1/2 inch square key and off set it 1/8 of an inch. It seems you would take a piece of 5/8 inch key stalk, machine the thickness down to 1/2 inch, then step in 1/8 inch on one corner for a depth of 1/4 of an inch, then do the same on the diagonal corner would give you an off set key.

In fact if you think about it, the off set has to be cut at an angle in accordance with the arc of the shaft. As the key rotates an 1/8 of an inch around the shaft with the off set, this will create these angles.

The angle would vary according to the size of the key and the size of the shaft.

I don't know if I have made myself clear here but if you think about it a little bit, you will understand.

I would like to see a calculator where you enter size of the shaft, size of the key, the amount of off set and it would give me enough information to machine the key.
philinmt

Post by philinmt »

I like it thanks.....Phil in Mt
mklotz

Re: Off Set Key Calculator

Post by mklotz »

Ronnie, that sounds like a good candidate program for my webpage.
Problem is I'm having difficulty visualizing what you mean by
an "offset key".

If you send me a diagram detailing the relevant geometry,
I'll take a shot at building a calculator.

Regards, Marv Klotz

mklotz@alum.mit.edu
http://www.geocities.com/mklotz.geo
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Marv,
Can you open AutoCad Attachments?
If so I will E-mail you a drawing.

Thanks Ronnie
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

Recently put some thought into that.
Gotta pair of 5hp B&S engines that were constantly arguing with me on which way to go. Kinda rough on starter ropes and morale.
After alotta fooling, over a period of time, I decided to make a couple of offset flywheel keys, say hmmm -5*, to retard the timing.
These were milled with a flat offset, and fitted. Problem solved!

To make a proper offset key for a straight shaft, it would be cool to hold the stock with an indexer (or...), and generate it - in it's intended radial position - without much calculating or even an edge finder.
Could make two at once, oposite each other.

bc
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.