Removing silicone products?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bryan

Removing silicone products?

Post by Bryan »

I finally had enough of washing my own truck, so I took it to the local carwash... well, it came out nice and shiny clean alright, mats, dash, everything...
Problem is, they used a silicone based product, so now the entry step, floor mats, peddles, steering wheel, and shift, are all as slick as... to make things worse, it tracked inside our house and there are now foot sized slick spots on our wooden floors that are like walking on ice...

I would have thought this would be a huge liability concern, but they don't seem to care...

Anyway, does anyone have recommendations for what to use to get rid of the slipperiness without damaging the underlying surfaces? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
Rick_Johnson_IL

Re: Removing silicone products?

Post by Rick_Johnson_IL »

Automotive paint stores will have "prep solvent" used by auto painters to remove wax, silicone, undercoating, etc. These products will not damage cured paint or plactic parts.
Steve_in_Mich

Re: Removing silicone products?

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

I have used DuPont Prep-sol 3919S a pre sand prep. CAUTION, put it on with a clean cotton cloth and wipe it up/off with a clean cotton cloth almost immediately. I think most all silicone and wax removers can harm a finish if left wet for even a few minutes. Disclaimer, I have never tried any of these preps on wood floors. Somebody must have left it in pools for it to track that badly - it should have been wiped dry after application. It does protect the vinyl and keep it "alive" but it is a 'slip and fall' waiting to happen so none on my mats. If the mats get dry - new mats are cheaper than a trip to the emergency room. Peddles can be tricky too. I think it might be a good idea to wipe with cotton cloth to get any wet drops off ASAP then see if that is enough to make it manageable.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.