Garage door openers

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

pattiandruss

Garage door openers

Post by pattiandruss »

I have a couple of Stanley screw drive openers on my garage/shop. What can I lube the screws with that won't fly off and splatter on the white doors? So far everything either doesn't work or it slings off onto the doors. Wouldn't be a big deal if they weren't white. Thanks, Russell
Jacin

Re: Garage door openers

Post by Jacin »

What about a Dry Film Lubricant Like MolyKote (molydisulfide) it can be purchased as a aerolsol an dsprayed on.

What kind of scews are these - ACME or BAll??
pattiandruss

Post by pattiandruss »

They have an Acme style. Problem is that if lube slings off, it gets on the outside of the doors when they move under the opener track. Molycote works, but only for a very short time. Some of my other efforts include motorcycle chain lube, really good and long lasting, but the door was a mess. Even dripped on my wife's car. You see my problem. Russell
Matt_Isserstedt

Lubriplate Gear Shield Extra Heavy

Post by Matt_Isserstedt »

I purchased as MSC 2540-0425. This is an aerosol can with a "straw".

The can states: "An extreme pressure, water resistant lubricant for use on open gears, slides, chains, cables, pins, or anywhere a non-gumming, penetrating, adhesive lubricant is needed. Prevents rust, wear, and abrasion."

This is a nasty black, sticky stuff designed for open gears and chains where normal lubricants would get slung off. I use it on the change gears on my lathe and on the rack/pinion which moves the lathe carriage. I think it has some kind of solvent which allows it to flow and penetrate, then this part evaporates and the lube is left behind.

I left a nasty stripe on the wall of the garage where I sprayed this lube on the running gears, but after it "dried" it doesn't sling any more inside the gear-cover.

I'll volunteer to be the guinea pig for the garage door application. I think I'll start with "my" side of the garage rather than my wife's side..... [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img]

I will post back with the outcome.
mike_thomas

Post by mike_thomas »

Bow string wax from an archery shop. Mike
werkzohne

Post by werkzohne »

I haven't kept up with this board in the last 2 months or so but you may already have a recommended fix for your dribbling garage door lube. If not perhaps you might try this one: Rather than using general purpose grease, bearing grease, or oil, etc, go to a bearing supply dealear that also sells industrial lubes. What you will be specifically looking for is a "long fiber" grease (available in grease gun type tubes). A long fiber grease is designed to tenaciously hold on to the mechanical parts. You can test if you have a long fiber grease right there at the suppliers counter by removing the cap and sticking your finger in the grease - then slowly pull it out 3 to 6 inches or so. You will recognize the long fiber grease immediately by the long hair-like stringiness that is ever so apparent. Not long ago I went in to a shop called Commercial Bearing and asked for a long fiber grease. Although they had some on the shelf even a few of their veteran counter salesmen didn't know the stuff existed. So, I'm not sure that it's a big seller but it's wickedly sticky. If you haven't found the right product yet you might give this a try. Hope it helps.
Skeeter5000

Post by Skeeter5000 »

Hi Russell,

I read somewhere the other day that the Stanley door openers have nylon nuts that the screw uses. The screw might not have to be lubricated. If the screw is rusting, some kind of wax might work to prevent this happening.

The above might not apply to your model.
JHenriksen

Re: Garage door openers lube

Post by JHenriksen »

I have used a spray on wire rope and open gear grease. It is black and gets very sticky after it dries for a while. It works well on open worm gears like on boat lifts.
It will sling off if you run the gears too soon after applying it.
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Russel, Ok so I'm NOT too quick!!!

Considering you're workign with an ACME screw you could try using "NOOK" grease this is manufactured by NOOK Industries (or at least manufactured "for" them) they are on of the Big Players in supplied (manufacturing) Acme screws for industry. Their "old" formulation was JUNK, but they now use a Synthetic Grease that is quite heavy and as such "sticks" on MUCH better than before - it also doesn't dry out as fast as their "old" version.

ANother grease we've had good luck with is Aeroshell #7 (another synthetic) - as I recall this is made for the ballscrews on landing gears, but we've sucessfully used it on Acme screws as well.

What is the "nut" material (ie. bronze, plastic etc)?
davestea

Post by davestea »

Long fiber grease may not be known by that name - as you found out.

ask for boat trailer bearing grease - the long fibers inhibit being washed out while the trailer axle is under water launching or picking up the boat. Stick a toothpick (gawn not your finger - you'll be wiping for an hour) and you will see the long fibers as you pull it out. Mine is green if that means much.

I used industrial strength roller chain lube on my door opener - similar to motor cycle chain lube - there is a fast evaporative carrier and the base is mostly graphite. Roller chain does not like grease at it hold gritty dust. I have used it both on a screw and a chain drive opener. It is black and messy but once its on it seems to stay there.
Dave
Smithy 3in1, Select Mill, Atlas 6" lathe