Emery cloth etc.

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

johnny

Emery cloth etc.

Post by johnny »

I like the satin finish I get on my live steamer parts using emery cloth. I need to stock up and checked the local hardware stores ($3 per sheet) and supply house catalogues. Once again I find a large number of choices. Who can tell me the difference between emery cloth/paper, crocus cloth, aluminum oxide cloth/paper, silicon carbide paper, silicon carbide no-load paper, silicon carbide screen cloth etc. I am happy with emery, but if there is a better product, I'd like to know. All I need right now is something to polish machined pieces to get end mill swirls and other imperfections out and leave a uniform finish. I'm working mostly with steel, cast iron and brass. Finally, the price seems to vary quite a bit too. Some import emery cloth for example is less than a dollar a sheet and the top of the line is close to $5 a sheet in some catalogues. Does anyone have experience with these to tell me if the better stuff is worth that much? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Johnny
Alan

Re: Emery cloth etc.

Post by Alan »

Johnny,
From my limited use of abrasive products on paper backing the stuff that we get here from China is terrible compared to the 3M / Norton or other brand name products. Paper backing material is stiff and not pliable so breaks easily and becomes usless. Unfortunately price seems to be a good indicator in this case.
kurt

Post by kurt »

Can't answer all your ? just tell you what I use, 3M Imperial wetordry, its papper. The grits I use are from 220 to 2000, mostley for polishing SS, but have used the same stuff for AL. I also use the cloth in 1" strips for work on the lathe, cover the bed first. Forgot to say its silicon
LEW_BEST

Post by LEW_BEST »

Hi Guys

I have a friend that deals in lots of industrial surplus; often lists emery cloth, etc. on ebay. Can highly recommend him; email & "ebay handle" is [email]tootsis@optonline.net.[/email] Have bought from him several times. His name is John. He deals direct also.

Lew
Matt_Isserstedt

Post by Matt_Isserstedt »

Johnny,

I prefer 400 grit silicon carbide mesh 1-1/2" wide I got from McMaster. It is nice because it doesn't load up for awhile for such a fine grit. Saves me from skipping thru grits.

It will, however, leave kind of a directional finish if you don't keep it moving...the "long wires" of the mesh cut harder than the "cross wires" so I just keep the tape moving cross-wise and around in all angles and it ends up uniform.

However, not sure if it will load up brass with abrasive(???) Most of my work is on ferrous workpieces.
Roy

Post by Roy »

As others have posted the Import abrasives just plain suck. Stay with a major name such as 3M or Norton. If you use any of the abrasives dry, it polishes or makes the pieces shiney, however if you apply a couple drops of oil on the abrasive it makes the parts a satin finish. Emery paper is usually found on a cloth backing and is more suited to metal working and heavier duty applications such as power sanders and etc. Paper backed is usually best for hand or lighter duty.

Crocus cloth is more for final polishing of the parts and it takes an awfull lot of doing to make any noticebale stock removal. I like to use it for that final polish and fine scratch removal. I rarely use SC anymore, just the various grades of Emery, followed up with crocus cloth. I do on occassion use the SC screen cloth to work stuff in the lathe, as the cloth if you hold it so it cuts on the bottom of the piece allows the removed stock to fall through the holes in the cloth, and reduces any chance of adding additional marks from embeded particals.

B Snyder abrasives in Ohio sells top quality abrasive papers, cloths, disks and belts at a much less substantial price than most places, and its all top grade materials from Germany, Switzerland USA or Canada. No far east import junk.
http://www.barbkat.com/
johnny

Post by johnny »

Thank you all for the responses. They are very informative and helpful. I will follow up on the suggestions too. I may repost in another section to see if I can get any additional info on these abrasives. Thanks again,
Johnny