Harbor Freight Batteries

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Our shop bought three 3/8" air ratchets and 2 of the 3 didn't work at all. I thought that was kinda odd since I haven't had any trouble with mine, although the newest one I have is over 10 years old.

Richard W.
magic9r

Post by magic9r »

Canyon Man,

You need a new stick, yours seems to be made entirely of wrong ends.

I read the posts and immediately understood that the wry comments referred to the posting of "I like them better" as from an internet "Bot" thing humourously implying that Harbour Freight have systems in place to gainsay negative posts on the internet.

Clearly not a dig at you,
Regards,
Nick
Canyonman

Post by Canyonman »

magic9r,

I guess I missed the Humor memo.

But I will add your comments to all the others that I have received psychoanalyzing me.

At least yours didn't require an "Amen."

Thanks, Take Care and Be Well,

Ken
spro

subject

Post by spro »

CanyonMan. I don't want you distressed. I want you here helping people. I want to read your posts. majic9r seems a good dude We get wordy at times and really for the best of us(iDIDN'T SAY IT WAS ME IN THERE) this is not our avenue of precision. Let's say a guy is way off or could be interperetted that way to be in.2 off but gives within .001 of good knowledge.I'm thinking that shouldn't be wasted.In fact by talking to you, You may think that I'm counselling or that you were wrong. See that would be the worst thing ever. Perhaps I'm greedy. I see both sides but cannot see losing either. Yeh that sounds like not taking sides but I can't. I want to salute you both machinists for having gone past a misunderstanding and going further.
Canyonman

Post by Canyonman »

spro,

Thank You, I appreciate your words of reason. I'm sure Nick is a Great Guy. What did I say wrong there? I Even tried some humor. :shock:

Oh, I'm sticking around, this is a good place. I just probably won't post so much. Enough opinions here already. :?

Take Care,

Ken
diyer

Post by diyer »

... I find that if you can "handle, i.e. touchy feely" the EXACT HF item you are going to purchase, that is the way to go.

I agree the Halogen work lights are excellent.

The electric motors are not ...

Air Tools, I find the paint guns to be quite up to the job ...

Their Powder Coat system is excellent ...

Air Hog items: sander, impact wrench, drill or die grinder all are pretty CFM "Greedy" and I think the CFM ratings on the tools themselves are de-rated.

The Hydraulics are the same as above, look at the "exact" one you are purchasing. QC is sporadic at best. One is excellent while the next looks like it was made on Monday by a guy with a hang-over.

Now for supplies, Excellent! Sandpaper, Blades, Bungee cord, Tarps, Lathe Bits, Deadblow Hammers, Tow Straps, Gloves etc.

Ken
Thanks, I appreicate your input.
diyer

Post by diyer »

Richard_W wrote:I like them better.
Richard, I purchased some of the AA at HF, and I see no problem with them. They work fine. Thanks for the reply.

diyer
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Glad I could help. On another note quite a few years back thier was a report on batteries. The report said that store brands actually lasted longer than name brands that they tested. It could be that the store brands which sell for much less, don't sit as long on the shelf as the more expensive name brands. The report didn't say why store brans lasted longer.

Richard W.
Canyonman

Post by Canyonman »

Richard, diyer,

I have found that if you want really long life in say a camera or GPS unit, the Lithium E2 {E Squared} give amazing long life. They also do not seem to "Drain Down" while the said camera/GPS is sitting around begging to be used.

These Babies cost more, I think it's along the lines of $10 for 2, maybe 4, I'm not sure. But the money is well spent! But with that being said, I only have Lithium's in the important few items.

Richard, I think you have a Valid point with the "shelf life" issue.

Take Care and Be Well,

Ken
spro

batteries

Post by spro »

Thanks Canyonman for tip about batteries (and more) I have written down the ones you recommended. I never send a pic because my camera is always hosed due to the batteries. Maybe there is an internal one which is messing up the charging or memory. I could buy a better one for less than 1/2 what i spent on this but I'm tight.
Canyonman

Post by Canyonman »

spro, Richard, diyer,

You might also look at the usage demand you are putting on the battery. Far to many people and companies want their "Baby" in a charger if it is not being used {Cordless Drills, cameras, cell phones, remote phones or my experience with Motorola "Walkie Talkies," we called them "Bricks"}. This only costs them more money.

To keep this short, the battery develops a "memory;" so if you take it out of the charger, use it for an hour, put it back in. The battery "gets used" to 1 hour of use and then the time comes when you need it to work for 6 hours, guess what, it goes "South" after an hour.

The proper usage is to fully charge the unit, then use it/leave it OFF the charger until it is dead or displays a "Low Battery" condition on whatever unit you are using. Then put it into the charger for a "Full Charge". Motorola actually has a battery "Memory Eraser" for those expensive batteries.

Now this applies AFAIK to NiCads and up, Lithium Ion, Li & Ti Poly, TiNi, Li E etc. Alkaline Batteries, while they don't have the memory problem and can stand a certain amount of re-charge, are for the most part one use till DOA then discard.

So I guess you have to weight the cost vs. the Duty Life.

Take Care and Be Well, Ken
diyer

HF tools

Post by diyer »

I like the HF Taiwan stuff better than the HF China stuff.

diyer