Interesting book

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz

jpfalt

Interesting book

Post by jpfalt » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:20 pm

A friend forwarded this to me today.

Interesting

http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/www/dupo ... thDynamite

Jose Rivera

Interesting

Post by Jose Rivera » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:28 pm

Very interesting !! :lol:

Times have changed, haven't them?
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa

Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:31 pm

Back in the late 40's, early 50's, my father was planting an orange orchard on 20' x 20' spacing in rocky soil. He discovered that by driving a steel stake into the ground to make a hole and then using about a half stick of dynamite, he could get the ground loosened to the point where it was possible to shovel out a hole. I think the local hardware store sold dynamite at that time.

The local irrigation company could not, or would not, locate their 12" main that crossed his property. However, when he got through planting trees, it was possible to make a good guess as to the main's location by drawing the best straight line through all of the gysers.

I suspect it would be considered terrorism today, but then no one thought anything of it. The irrigation company just came out and patched the holes as they occurred.

Times have changed.

kenh

Post by kenh » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:18 pm

In the mid 50"s I helped my granddad break up some boulders with dynamite.

Star drill a hole, insert a piece with cap and fuse, tamp mud in, lit fuse, scamper off, watch the show!

Bought at local hardware store, no questions asked. :shock: