Monster Equipment

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

coal miner

Post by coal miner »

The last page 179 shows a Bucket Wheel excavator that we had @ our Freeman mine Fidelity #11 near DuQuoin, Il. same machine @ our mine ,page #146 shows a stripping shovel Bucyrus Erie 1650B that we also had . Saw several of the machines in this publication , always awed by the shear size of them .

Click here.

Where Pete works , I would assume the Euclid haul truck was a 260 TON dump truck and you could easily park a pick-up in the bucket of a Cat 992 rubber tired end loader . The size of these machines are staggering .
The days of the giant earth movers has been replaced with more mobile and bigger hyd. excavators and haulage trucks and the bigger equip. that goes w/ that type of operation e.g. Cat D-11's and 992 end loaders and big dump trucks

There always was a place at the mine where you could get in your truck and watch the whole operation . Just to see everything from the removal of topsoil , to the drilling and blasting of the hi-wall , to the stripping machines working , to looking at the spoil side that was already mined , reclaimed and growing corn . I loved every minute of it .
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
pete

Post by pete »

Leaving for work, Will have to catch up on this in a couple of weeks, It's been interesting.

Pete
ronm

Post by ronm »

Since Harold doesn't mind derailing the thread-scroll down a few posts on this...that's a D8R stuck in the wheel.... :shock: http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/For ... php?t=5608

More pics here.
http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/For ... +excavator
ronm

Post by ronm »

"Moved to the Junk Drawer"! There's an ego booster....just kidding, Harold-no problem, you do a fine job....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ronm wrote:"Moved to the Junk Drawer"! There's an ego booster....just kidding, Harold-no problem, you do a fine job....
Chuckle!

We tend to stick to machining and other shop functions on the board, but Marty knew that there would be the odd off subject topic that came up, so he coined the phrase Junk Drawer. We may be stretching a little when you discuss some things, but I feel it's important for readers to be able to talk about subjects beyond shop functions. Tends to make better friends of all of us when we can share such things.

Thanks for the kind words. Moderating is not as easy as it may appear. Regardless of decisions I may make, someone, somewhere, isn't happy. I just try to do what would be best for the masses, and hope the others understand that, some days, it's chicken, and some days it's feathers.

Sometime they have to settle for a mouth full of feathers. :-)

Harold
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Man, glad I am not mother-earth.

I'll be hot with somebody digging my skin with a monster like that!!

Harold, Pete is the Pete I was talking to you about from Canada.

He's got me fired up at making a steam engine. I am about 70% making the model with Solidworks from a set of drawings that someone kindly let me have.

(Note correction, at last paragraph)
Last edited by Jose Rivera on Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Jose Rivera wrote:Harold, Pete is the Pete I was talking to you about from Canada.
I figured he was the guy! I've been following his posts with regularity.
He's got fired up at making a steam engine. I am about 70% making the model with Solidworks from a set of drawings that someone kindly let me have.
I expect you'll do an excellent job, Jose, in keeping with everything else you have shown us. I also expect that Pete will do a great job. He appears to have a clear understanding of machining. The only place he may stumble is in working with very small parts. I have known but a small number of machinists that had the patience for small work.

Harold
pete

Post by pete »

For general interest I took some pictures at work, If Jose can talk me thru it I'll attempt to post them. We have a couple of shovels at work that weigh in excess of 2000 tons.

Pete
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Get them sorted out , Pete. Would like to see them !
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

As requested from Pete.

Pictures from his job-site and his pet wolf 8) 8) 8)

There will be several posting to post all.
Chaski may delete pictures later as needed.
Attachments
100_1180_1024x768.JPG
100_1179_1024x768.JPG
100_1161_1024x768.JPG
100_1158_1024x768.JPG
100_1155_1024x768.JPG
100_1134_1024x768.JPG
100_1128_1024x768.JPG
100_1125_1024x768.JPG
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

As requested from Pete.

Pictures from his job-site and his pet wolf 8) 8) 8)

There will be several posting to post all.
Chaski may delete pictures later as needed.
Attachments
100_1207_1024x768.JPG
100_1190_1024x768.JPG
100_1184_1024x768.JPG
100_1182_1024x768.JPG
100_1197_1024x768.JPG
100_1198_1024x768.JPG
--------------
pete

Post by pete »

Jose,
Really can't thank you enough for posting these, I'll try and explain what each picture is.
pic. no. 1 is a Hitachi 5500 hydralic face shovel and parked to the right of it is the hoe I normally run, It's a Hitachi 450 this machine is a fairly large hoe and weighs around 60 tons. The 5500 weighs (I think) in excess of 2000 tons, It's powered by 2 v 16 Cummins engines that only run the hydralic pumps to operate the shovel. Operating pressure on the hydralic system is around 5000 psi. This shovel costs approximately $1300 an hr. to operate. This was the very first shovel that Hitachi built of this model and was at one time the worlds largest hydraulic shovel.

pic. no. 2 Obviously the same shovel moving out from the dig face, That's a D-10 cat working behind it.

pic. no. 3 Was taken from my hoe and looking west, This is a finished part of our pit and were useing it to dump our processed rock after the gold and copper have been recovered. Each bench you see is 55 ft. high. There's about 250 ft. of water and tailings covering the very bottom of the pit. The mill sends about 30,000 Canadian gallons per min. of a water/sand slurry into this pit. The pit wall failure you see in the center of the picture happened due to a natural fault zone. We had a lot smaller slide happen here a couple of yrs. ago and I spent months working this slide with a 450 and 1100 hoe. One week after I finished the job this slide came down thru the exact same area I had been working on. (Better to be lucky than good) There's about 5 million tons in that slide.

pic. no. 4 and 5 This is a 260 ton Euclid haul truck that had about 30 tons of rock frozen into the box that I had to remove before the truck was moved into the shop for service work. These trucks are powered by 1 v-16 Cummins engine and cost over $300 an hr. to operate. The trucks are rated for 260 tons but with the added spill boards I've loaded over 350 tons when the rock is heavy and wet, So fully loaded these trucks can weigh very close to 600 tons.

pic. no. 6 Is looking south west at the mill processing plant with the conveyor system that runs the 6 in. minius rock, This is then gravity fed down onto feed conveyors and sent into the mill to be crushed by ball mills down to less than 100 mesh. We generly process 60-65,000 tons a day.

pic. no. 7 and 8 are of a P&H 2800 electric rope shovel, The mechanic working on the track frame gives a good idea of size. This shovel runs on 7200 volts and we use what most people would term giant extension cords to run power to the shovel. This cable is so large and heavy that about 30 ft. is all you want to drag by hand, It's mostly dragged around by towing it with a pick up or more often I use my hoe to move it and lay it on top of berms to prevent the haul trucks from running over it. The bucket on this shovel is 45 cubic yards so depending on the rock weight it takes between 75 and 90 tons in one bite. Usually 4 buckets to load a haul truck. This shovel also weighs over 2000 tons.I'll put a seperate post up for the rest of the pictures.

Pete