Never enough time

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: Never enough time

Post by steamin10 »

It is like this: When working on an old running system, I have no problem spending $30 for a few renewable parts. The schrader was ugly from dirt and corrosion, (sweating of the tank), the cover missing from the switch doomed it for people exposure, so that is a whole $20 in parts. I cannot tell if the tank is a bladder type, labels are obliterated. Even so a fresh charge of air should cure the problem, and did not. In the end the tank was drained completely, and the function of the new 60-40 switch was nominal. The owner was warned if the system went to short cycle again, a new tank was in order. So the test of time is invoked, and such expendature delayed until proven needed, a key part of running rentals.

So after running all the options, we are good, and I can breath a sigh, as I was running out of confidence. But all the repair guys know; it is what it is, despite your knowledge, it is always a voyage of discovery. What works, and what doesnt.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

dave i know your water table is shallow from all the flooding you have talked about. i wonder about the check between pump and tank or if one exists. in this neck of the woods fiberglass bladder tanks are the norm along with deep wells of several hundred feet
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Hammer: Ya, we live in a swamp, more or less, yearly water table is less than 10 feet for surface water. Clean historic water is only 30 feet, but high iron content, and sometimes sulfur from the limestone layers beneath. So 3/4 horse centrifugal pumps are the norm with shallow well systems, that hiccup at various times. ( South of here they have a terrible SO2 problem, and not far away, if you pump the well dry, you can ignite and burn the gas that may come out of the tap. So it is a strange combination.) A "deep" well is 60 feet here, and far below the water table. The deeper you go here the more sulfur you pick up. We are close to the city of Gary, and my house has muni water (Lake Michigan water) just a 1/4 mile away in two directions, but the home company has no interest in extending any lines because of the cost/usage equation. It was about $30 a foot years ago for frontage, and I have about 360 feet more or less. That is not in the cards. All the neighbors voted it down at the time. The governors of the tri-state area of Michigan, Illinois, and Indiana, have set a limit of how far to pump Lake waters from the shore, so as not to deplete that resource.
So at some point various towns have to use processed well water from the basin they reside in, to supply their needs.

We explored the tenants of a water company to install our own line, and pay for bulk water, and several detractors would not allow the right of way. So that died on the vine too. It has killed development here. In another local town, a HOA did just that, and charged any new construction a hookup fee, that eventually over paid the originators of the subdivision line. It was eventually bought by the water company, and is now maintained by them. Great fun Huh?

Check valve: In a driven well, the foot valve serves as the check, in the well point. In more modern drilled cased wells of 4 or 6 inch the foot valve is in the torpedo pump, at the suction level. Those foot valves are the checks for the system. Another well I serviced lately, had the Yo-Yo effect of a failed or stuck foot valve, and a check in the line solved the run-on short cycling there. So I am the minute hero, to be challenged again. $30 fitting against a $1200 bid for a new well. So it goes. :mrgreen:
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

Not walking over your information. Only something to consider about this topic. A tank is a tank and acts as a capacitor of sorts. When the bladder ruptures, the tank can still have air pressure introduced and acts similarly. The problem is, the area below the bladder is unclean. At some point the dirty area of the tank is mixed with the water. There is a charge of air under the bladder but if that is done without standing weight of water over it, it may rupture/ have been ruptured. I apologize because you already know this stuff.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

If you consider what comes out of the ground as raw water, thinking about the 'unclean tank' will not scare you. Normal well systems have a flaura and fauna of natural bacteria that live on all the surfaces of the piping and appliances (tank) and is the reason a flow flush is done to purge disturbed bacteria from the system by flow. Any natural soils and grit will be exited too, and then we depend on the equilibrium of the natural flow.

Bottled water has some bacteria too, and will spontaneously grow algae if left in strong sunlight. Dont think the world is clean. It is not. The wondrous mechanisms of your body are set to deal with that.

Any tank that holds air, bladder or not will be subject to the water contaminants. Older tanks had no gimmick of a bladder to raise cost. The Shrader valve is there to adjust the air bubble cushion from time to time. Other people smarter than I engineered this simple system, I just follow the mantra for keeping it running.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Well, as life moves on, we have taken possession of a Ford Explorer Sport, of 01 vintage. 4 wheel drive it stands tall, yet is a smaller vehicle, with 2 doors and a hatch. The rear sets fold forward, and should work well for Mom of the fur kids in her travels and exchanges. We brought it home, gave it a bath, vacuum job, and new wiper blades. Half a tank of new fuel added some zip to the throttle, and further checking found the right headlight out. Lubrication is next, ASAP. Initial pull on the steering has dissapeared with airing of tires, and wearing the rusty rotors with a bit of driving.

The Rescue ride is Red and silver, but as noted, was involved in a fender bender, and most of the body panels are marked, so it is an imperfect ride. No matter, it fills the need as we see it, and is a step around the Silver Ranger failure. With a total bill of $2500 for combined repairs on the failed unit, and purchase of this rolling wreck, we are down for $200 per month for 2k balance. I hope to discharge this in about 6 months, and move on to a newer ride around tax time, as we progress with some changes here.

Today we have to cover some shortfalls created by this life hiccup, and adjust our footing. Some scrap material will hit the recycler, as it is coming to winter. A bid for a late building is being calculated for a custom Yard Barn. It will provide some income to cover the injury to the check book.

EDIT: Changing the headlight bulb was different, the entire plastic unit is picked out form sliding plates on the backside. It is discovered that various tabs and screws are broken and missing, and the front signals are holding in by a prayer. I will lock them down on the edges with some clear silicon, as mounts and tabs are simply gone. So no duct tape this time. It took some time at the tire store to get the rt front tire checked as it is a a leaker. Confirmed, it was taken down, aluminum rim cleaned and the tire sealer put on. Since I am a regular, there was no charge, even tho it was not their tires. Old fashioned business. Hoora!

Made a pot of Deer Chilli, and it was good.
Last edited by steamin10 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

savor every spoonful dave you paid a premium for it. hihi
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Eeeeek! 3 inchs of heavy wet SNOW already on the ground, and the D handle is still broken on my snow shovel. Mom will get to try the 4wheel lock on the Explorer, and left early into the battle of the Morons, that forgot how to drive since last year. Good luck Mom, but the truck is damaged anyway, so risk it all in the bumper car byway, maybe somebody will pay for the next one... :twisted:

Gas has been sinking with the temps, and hit sub $1.90 here. (?) Wow, tank is full most of the time now, even with MT pockets. Lotta stuff to do outside will wait for the thaw, that will take a week, as we usually dont hold snow this early. Just means the ground will be soggy, and now slick, to trap any vehicles that venture out on the land. Ask me how I know.

I have been watching the predictions for this El No-no year, and the cool and cloudy fall has allowed the Lake of Michigan to maintain its above average level now for the second year, with lots of snow and warmer temps predicted for the Midwet this winter. That rises in the face of the 70% Bee loss due to nearly 20 days of sub zero last winter. Bee nukes are $150 now, imported from Australia, and nearly un-affordable for the currency challenged, like me. So getting clean, traditional strains of Italian, and Caucasian Bees is nearly impossible, after the hive collapses of the past few years.

So the internal working of staying alive continue with projects on hold, giving way to other stalled projects, and so we go. After the snowballs fly from the kids, in that first joyful battles of new snow, I bid you peace, and warm Ears. :)

EDIT:3PM and still snowing with about 5-6 inchs down. Cant watch tv, snow is covering the dish, and heavy snow attenuates the signal. Blah!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Took off with Mom Rose to meet for some Guinee pig give ups. Took in three to the rescue, and filled the Explorer with $1.72 fuel at Shell. The 4x4 feature was well used today on the spotty roads, and added noticeable stability, as temps hit a 12* low last night. The talking weatherheads promise the 20 degree below norm, will end about Thursday in the mid 50's. I cant wait.

I have been feeling poorly, and missed my re-supply cleaning out the food bank at the local church, slept all day without really feeling rested. More than 12 hrs. My 70 yr old contact there did not call me, as she visited a hospital too..Maybe it is the disturbance in the FORCE!

Still searching for piddly parts, and getting settled into the Rescue vehicle. Mom is likeing not having to cover things in a pickup bed, and the secure drive feeling of 4x4 on testy roads. So I think I picked a winner here for now. Got the tollway I-pass mounted, and registered, details like that. I have two issues on the dash, flashy warning thingies, one for ABS, the other is for the seat mounted side bag, that was blown. I have to track down some more info on that, how to change it or replace the seat.

Several pen fences have collapsed from the heavy snow, and the bird net completely took down one, as it was never intended to hold any weight..the deer netting for hawk protection is but half inch mesh, and caught nearly all the snow, buckling the 1/2" conduit used for posting. We just moved the portables but always have tons of details to do.

I pulled 2 fluorescent fixtures from storage to put in the Annex for more light, I have to get moving on that Annex thing, it is holding me up on projects. Hope to have that jam cleared by Thursday.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

steamin10 wrote:...and left early into the battle of the Morons, that forgot how to drive since last year.
You are assumeing that thr Morons have something to forget!

$1.72 gas... wow... I think the last time I saw prices that low up here was somewhere in the mid to late '90'. Here I was getting pretty excited that gas is almost down to $3.50 a US gallon!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Mom is picking up some hours for a co-worker that is going on maternity leave, Soooo, I had to spend my side money from the pump job, to put an oil change in the rescue explorer. An underneath inspection shows no piles of rust, and all the cases are dry, no leaks. A little further down the road, and we will change the rest of the fluids out of hand.

Mounted 2 used fluorescent lights in the annex, and up grades and sorting continue there. The rising temps give me a chance to catch some of the fall repairs. New box of bulbs is dwindling fast..

Trying to learn the new 23rd Century slab phone by Samsung, and a tablet. I have Wi-Fi in the house, so I am reading the destructions, trying to input new information.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

You will get the hang of it Dave, they all have a learning curve. Was at the local drug store and found LG phone on sell for 10 bucks. With independent wifi they will be just right for. Dedicated applications like controllers.

Tomorrow is car brake day. New rotors and pads