Never enough time

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: Never enough time

Post by steamin10 »

Ugggh! Nothing but bad news. Stalled the mower belt and ate it with a clump of remowed grass. Got the spare off the hanger, and found I lost the hairpins that hold the front deck in line. (oops). The pygmy goats are ill. Ginger has intestinal Barber pole worms confirmed, and now so does the areas they were released into. I am going in the morning to get a treatment not available local, so its a 60 mile trip out, just for a bottle of hokkum for the goats.

Dotter Stephanie had a gas leak in her lower level, and the gas company shut her down until it is repaired. The leak is traced to a faulty gas valve on the furnace. The thing is 40 yrs old and original to the build. She decided to replace the unit, and under advisement from some other HIVAC guys she works with, we ripped out the old and began assembling the new. I stayed at her house last might and today got the air running on its own power. It was 91 today. Inside about 78 for a high. I was not only grateful, but impressed. Her house is adequately insulated unlike so many around the Midwet. Any way, on the unit she gets a $200 dollar rebate and a $450 tax credit for the new high efficiency unit, and she bought it for cost, plus a small tip. We had problems retro fitting the more compact unit into the area designed into the house, so tonite I left her with the main cold vent to be run in PVC, the outside air intake likewise to be run, and the unit on a pigtail plugged into the wall. Nearly all day was spent building and forming the plenum on the furnace with its needed adapters and bump outs, to retro fit to the house ducts. A real cut and fit creative exercise. Actually, I impressed myself, that it looks so good, and not like some 10 yr old tree fort captain did it. I cut and laid out panels from two other plenums from past projects, and we built the extnensions from that, rather than buy a new plenum and carve it up to fit the odd situation. So, I am tired, but happy to repay the Dotter that replaced my roof this spring. Laters.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

While I almost know the distress with the neat goats, you fixed that. Then lots of work to help and actually design and utilize during these times, another great thing accomplished. Tired but happy is the best place. Who am I to speak this way. I am only wishing I retained the drive more often, shower and deep sleep born of sweat and rejuvenation.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya, well not to be the false hero here, my tractor/mower is still need of a belt install. It turns out that today we went to Peatone some distance away to get a pair of small bottles of worming medicine for Fred and Ginger. Ginger having been seen by our (goat) vet confirmed she has large load of Barber pole worms. They are dangerous blood suckers and she is already anemic from their effects. She and Fred came from a contaminated goat yard and need treatment now. Such demands on time kill other projects dead, as they qualify for emergency status. Neighbor lost 5 chickens to heat last night, and the band plays on. Found he has a source for packing boxes built on pallets with plywood covers for $5 each. He now has a new chiken box to lock his girls down at night, Keeping a note on that. collected 3 pallets to form a goat shelter, or creep.
They will like that, and it provides needed shade on too hot days. They are doing a bang up job at cleaning out the scrub and brush. It is simply amazing what these AI controlled stomachs can do in a week. (Animal Controlled Intelligence). Rose, Dennis and I had a rousing game of catch the goat this afternoon to dose everybody, whew, what a workout as they evaded capture skillfully.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Well here I am pounding on the Bozo puter again. Its lucky its not with a huge hammer. Last september I was pllaying a game (dont ask) and the power flicked on and off a coupla times as the wind picked up before a shower. The screen went to the blue screen of death and it never fired up again for many weeks. Poling the on button got a hopefull whine for a minute or so and it would shut down again without ever giving a display. In playing around in the guts of wires and brackets I replaced the flakey keyboard with a newer wireless model (logitec) and blew out the innards of ten pounds of lint and cat fluff, gave the case a good thumping after pushing in all the plugs, and by golly the voodoo worked. Mom Rose was not impressed as she told me to vac the machine out, but I told her a good threat with a rubber hammer was just as good. LOL... So I am back for now. The next stop is a newer computer this winter, are you listening Santa?

The mower season is slowing down, the modified deck blew up litterally shattering a blade shaft housing. Anew model ordered by number turned out to be wrong, with a five point drive rather than the six point I have. So since two new blades are laid in I have a slight delay while I get the right shaft tower. Meanwhile the garage and annex are painted without the siding repair. The decorative signs are ready to be mounted less the unledgable rusty ones. Some new deer skull caps with small antlers are ready for the trophy wall. (Killed while hunting with a Ford). And some various antique tools and buzz saw blades to rest back in their spots. It still looks like a dump, but there is signs of improvement.

Mom went on vacation for a week, and dragged me kicking and screaming along with. We went to Gatlinburg Tenn. We went to Dollywood where I got to inspect their steam engines and take my traditional ride. It was cool there so the crowd was minimal. Across the street from the time share, Graystone lodge, we toured the Riply's aquarium, which is quite nice if you are into that sort of thing. You can pet the Manta rays and feed them at one station for an awesome hand on experience. The plastic tunnels under the tank gives you an up close view of many ocean denizens up close and personal, as some of the larger sharks tend to lay on the top of the tunnel. Another day was spent on the artists trail where pottery, painting, chain saw art and various crafted items were being produced, and I am into the ways and means of creating things so I got draggy on Mom. They have a foundry making aluminum stuff at Dollywood too. A house number plate about the size of an auto license plate is about 75 bucks. And of course hand blown glass.

Mom got stuck driving the whole way, as I am not allowed to drive yet, and the little Escape did well. About ten hours road time really showed on my girl, but she is a trooper and drove thru some wet weather coming home. Did I mention the Kamakazie pilots that infest the super slabs? Or the miles of construction zones laced with 45 MPH ignorants? Brother , they are out there. It has convinced me I am going to invest in one of those mirror cams. It cant hurt.

lastly before I close this off, Ellie, Carl, Fred, ginger, and Grace are doing well, but running out of green stuff to chew on as fall comes charging in. It hit 27 degrees last night, and was the coldest Halloween eve in a dozen years. 4rth on record here. Time to button up as flurries are predicted over the next few days as we get some Westerly flow from Canada. Laters.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I am hobbling about and trying to close off some of my problems for fall but the transport limits are adding an unwanted wrinkle to my motions.

The smooth cutting all together deck under the crapsman tractor is making horrendous noises, that sound like failure is here. The modified deck is in pieces waiting for pieces and parts to be scrounged. (we dont just throw parts at a problem, we are professional repair retirees, remember). After many miles of pounding over rough turf and terrain, the steering is broken again, and it resists the minute fixes of bailing wire, tape, zip ties and fails about the farthest from the house it can, just for spite. I have some steering joints somewhere, I just cant seem to find them in all the spare stuff. I dont have an arm like it in the stable of tractors too junky to save. Like the mule that starved between the hay bales, I dont know what project to finish first, so I plug along, seeming to tinker here, and putz there, trying to deal with my grayed out vision. This is a PITA compared to just 6 month ago.My ego is hurting big time.

Last weekend a crew of helpers came over and uprooted my terrace garden that was inhabitited by the healthiest stan of ragweed I have ever seen. Gone wild this year, the mulch is decayed (ground tree wood chips) over the ground barrier cloth but the Hostas came back spindly and hidden in the undergrowth. Cleared away it looks better and revieled the flag pole laying in wait, and more of my grarnite stones to drill and feather for the front wall. So many projects, and goats too.

We broke the cast end cap on the 2 inch pipe for a post driver, another had to be fetched as I dont have much in large size pipe. The PVC drain line is drilled and layed out now up to 50 feet of stock, with the ditching burned off before the rains came and drowned the ideas. Now motions are cautious, as the ground has turned soggy, and rutting and mud have become an issues as in every year. So wide tired tractors, lite loads, and a truck ban for the yard are the order of the day. The fun just never ends.

I put some oil on the garage door tracks that have not been moved in a while and lubed the storage van sliding door, likewise. Trying to collect painting and such equipment back into line after all the helping hands have scattered things to the wind and make some order from the chaos, I know that snow is just around the corner and I am not ready, just cant move the body fast enough. I thought I could retire. Joke is on me. ROTFLMAO. Maybe I should read couch potato 101. An advisor told me to stop struggling and GIVE all my machines and projects away to whomever and give in to the slow flow. It is not in my creed to think that way.

I just busted a wheel off my little diaphram compressor for airing all the little tractor tires. another project. Now I move it with a hand truck, one of 3 here. Prolly time to renew some of the aging tires on various carts trailers and cars that are beginning to eat time. The more you have, the more you maintain. Ho well, I hear a drain line calling me. Its supposed to shower later on so I need to lay out what I have and see how the water flows around before i cover it. Laters.
spro

Post by spro »

creation
spro

Post by spro »

That was an empty yet encompassing reply. I don't know what individual subject might benefit from my experiences. I do know that creation is involved. The steering of Craftsman, to at least 18hp Lawn /garden tractors, is a weak link. There is a quadrant of an open rack and exposed pinion. The way it works is to allow the play in every other bearing/ plastic bushing to allow the pinion to swing to another surface area of the quadrant. I know this sounds like junk but an enclosed steering box would add another $1-2 hundred to the price of an expendable mowing tool.
By the time that rod ends are worn, the steering bushing section is shot and the both the pinion and quadrant are worn at the ends. There is an inexpensive kit which relocates the pinion and ring to the original depth to start over.
I forgot to say it is a PITA but you already know that.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Well put, it is essentially true. But, on balance we pay for what we get. I got a $300 dollar tractor VS. a money green machine or an orange Kubby at many thousands to beat with the same taxing job. As stated, if it comes to terminal failure, It wont owe me a dime, and really become feed stock for similar ilk next year. I have never had a year where I could run without breakdowns, and catching up with yard work is to blame pushing machines well beyond reason. There are always tools in my toolbox and cash is the last one to grab for. I use my skills like I would a payday, and trade to keep kash in my shoe box under the bed safe and dusty. I am gathering materials to build a ripper, to break out the roots of the mowed saplings to clear the ground next spring as they will rise with the frost to intimidate the mower housings again next year. Make a plan, and work your plan. The fallow field was not mowed in some 5 years to keep the brush out, so some attention is due or lose more ground. Another area has trees more than 12 yrs growing, The goats will have this area next year to denude and keep as pasture unless other plans change.

\In the meanwhile the modified roughing deck will be rebuilt with new blades and bearings and stored for next year. One of the tractors will dissolve into parts to renew the latest LT1000 with the blown motor and the desirable hydro drive. It will be available as a backup tractor to the diesel that will be shopped this winter (by me) for hoses, radiator and leaky water pump. These things are showing their age now ( its a '91)and need attention in one swoop to prepare for problems. The rebuilt battery is showing signs of weakness now needing a boost to start after a weeks sitting, so another rebuilt will come into hand in a week or so for $35 to run for another couple yrs, as the old batt is marked Sep of 15.

Another tool being imagineered is a rotary ditcher to hang from the three point. run on the PTO it will drag behind like an arrow point spinning on the dirt and grass to toss a shallow ditch about 8 inches across to diract and channel swales into even flowing drains as they get smushed up every year. They are pretty much obliterated now, and the drainage suffers because of it.

The rain has held me up along with another eye appointment (no shots this time) to monkey with progress but the 3 and
4 inch pvc lines are glued up and drilled ready to be layed in the soggy ditch almost 2 feet down to relieve a couple of soggy spots in the open ground. The line willl MT into the bottom of the front road ditch where the surface water runs out to the Kady Marsh ditchwork. The lines will be wraped with garden mesh to filter dirt from the drain water and provide a path along the pipe to seep into.The depth should be enough to allow full depth plowing of the garden if need be.

Friend John just got laid off with the falling temps from his outdoor job, so we might be able to get a couple more items done before snow closes us off.

All this is far from playtime of building my locomotive and rolling stock and tending my machines. I nearly feel lost.

The eyedoc has to release me B4 the BMV will allow me an eye test after new glasses are fitted, so I am grounded pretty bad without a way to get parts and supplies to the homestead. I have to see my new GP soon for A1c profiles anyway, so its a headache. OK TMI. Laters. . . .
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Woo-hoo! Got the remote mouse working today, I am wireless for both keys and mouse today.

John came over while the wind was off just after the power returned at 11:30. (major failure somewhere. They sent local schools home this morning). Whiile I was putzing in the dark the computer and all my electrics fired up, and I am happy again. John climbed the ladder and got a saggy gutter repaired, the rest cleaned out, and I got some door seals installed on my upper level doors the cats did in. All the while watching the goats run free and trim the yard. I am soaking some peeler cores to be used as fence posts in a barrel full of waste lube oil spiked with copper napthenate. This will give the posting a little more life when buried in the ground as I install some used fence that has been layiing out. The used fence must be stripped of 4x4 busted at ground level, and renailed to a short support stringer to carry the 5 foot fencing. Once this is up I will spray it down with some copper napthenate and wood stain to give it some more life and color. I will use one of those pump up garden sprayers for this step to give a lick and a promise with little time spent. The boards are weathered so a roller wont touch it in a reasonable fashion.

The drain line is in the ditch, oriented where it will do some good. Now I have to find a machine to carry soils from the stockpile about 200 feet to the trenchwork and get it filled in. "There is standing water there and the piping looks like it is right for level. The garden barrier cloth is taped to the outside with some box tape, that I boughtr a pack of 6 for $5 for sealing USPS parcels. Once in the ground it wont matter as the soil will hold the doubled cloth anyway. I will frame the outlet in the ditch with some broken sidewalk pieces to make a header at the outfall. Most of the pipe is 3 inch collected over time from various sites and now pulled out of storage to use. In other words, salvage and almost free, except for the couplings and glue.

Good progress today for what moves me, Mom is happy so the house is happy.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I am pooped with a day of running with Mom. WE collected a nice 3 drawer lateral file from her clinic, bought goat hay and feed, some new galvanized buckets of a smaller size, and moved some panels where the rowboat stood in storage. The goat yard is now about double in size off the barn and will stay for the winter. the boat will be re-racked on its upside down stand. ( a repaired gamefisher fiberglass thing some one threw away) John was busy today so I staggered on doing what I must.

We took Ailing Ellie to our goat vet and got her a checkup and booster shots. Some hair loss around the eyes and ears signlled trouble, but the vet checked her out and there are no bugs or denizens creating a threat, just some cocidia that will arise from the chickens and general stress and confirmation that they have a copper deficiency in their diet. This is caused by high calcium, iron, selenium, and other trace elemental reactions blocking the copper from being used in the animal. This is common in goats and causes crusty eyes and itching that leads to hair loss to rubbing and general stress. We decided that our best guess without experience was not enough, so despite being relatively sure we knew what we read, we went to our goat vet who also keeps goats for years. Having confirmed our beliefs we are free feeding elemental supplements to our goats and some flax oil to condition their coats. They are also gaining weight well and look fair for young goats. They are without worms at this point and that is a victory in itself. So with some loaded shots we ventured home and treated the herd to boosters and fresh hay and pellets.

I moved some fence panels and gave some more yard to the side of the goat barn and checked the posts soaking in motor oil. They are ready to plant. It will hit the 20's tonite so a freeze out is coming and if the ground stiffens out I might not get the holes dug. I need to get this done and get the other fence boundary moved to the edge of the woody area behind the garage. That will be set for winter.

The row boat stand collapsed while wrestling the boat around and needs another leg grafted on to set it up for winter storage. Still lots to do before snow.

A critter fell through a garage door window so it must be renewed as the door is closed nearly every day now. Critters are looking for dry nesting places and moving and removing coolers and items from the shelves just climbing around, so we invoke another change. We have killed many a cat and critter by locking them up in the garage. Sad to find the stinky remains.

Rose got dibs on a huge lateral file cabinet at work and we trucked it home in our travels. these are good for mouse free storage of just about anything you can think of. I recently opened a sale package of leather palm gloves for yard work to discover all the right hand gloves had fingers mouse chewed off. So much for working with nature.

We are set to go to the National Chicken show in Ohio. This should be interesting as it is a big deal for Chicken people. Like the Westminster Dog show it is about breeds and popularity and all that hoopla. Still a lot of info, so we go to see what is what. We have a handfull of backyard mutt cross birds, feather foots, polish, silkies, and some old breeds, (heritage). So it has interest for us. TTFN
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope everybody recovers from over eating dead birds and things. I pulled a store chicken from frozen storage and made stufin' and trimmins, that mom enjoyed. She being off from work we enjoyed a lazy day together.

I piled some dead computers up and sorted a few projects for elimination from the do list. The paperwork mountain is out of control, and needs serious time for filing and sorting. Even with the dime store reading specs I am slowed to a crawl.

14 year old helper David is coming in the morning and I will put in a good say off the couch after being down a while. It is supposed to hit 60, and sunny if a bit breezy. So repairs and yard cleanup top the list. We will fire the crew cab diesel and do some checking on conditions and service the Escape and do what is needed for the beginning of Winter, like Rain-x the windshield and new wipers, tire pressures and all the details ignored while running hard. A mushy spot by the red barn has 2, five foot tubes laid out to be bridged over to eliminate a problem crossing the swale. Tractor and foot traffic are a problem here when icy. Several falls from last year are hoped to be avoided. Some fencing will be targeted for making a paddock behind the garage annex, a delayed project as I came under the weather. Altogether a tall order on a good day, let alone feeling off a bit. So we will see how it plays out. The plan for the peeler posts did not happen.

I have gotten some personal messages, and I thank you for the contacts, as it feeds the spirit, that became challenged of late.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

It bears mention that Dennis, directly across the road, has whacked 2 raiding foxes this last week. He has also shared numerous pumpkin from the farm stands, that feed his pigs and provide chicken wormer for my flock. He also shared some spent beer mash from the local micro brews. All my charges enjoy this treat. I share breads and stale baked goods from the food bank. Greens are given to the rescue guinee pigs, the breads going to the chickens and other critters, rather than the hungry dumpster. It really helps with the food flow and costs.

Thanks for lookin'.