Never enough time

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

The attic insulation is finished, having added one more bale for 7 total. There was a bit of dusty rearanging of some of the old 3 inch craft faced batts fo fill in the west end, but I am satisfied with the results, being free, they did not get wasted.

I have also plotted out the exact spot for a new light bar over the bed, I might get the box mounted, and more tonite after dark. My knees may not hold out .

HAPPY VD! :shock: My YL knows what I want, but not how to wrap it. 8)
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
jim rozen

Post by jim rozen »

Er, you ARE wearing knee pads, right???

That was the moment I realized I wasn't 18 anymore, the day I
helped my buddy from work shingleing his roof. WithOUT knee
pads!

To my credit I was back there the next day, though. Knee pads
included this time!

Jim
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

No need to wrap it, just put a big red bow on it.
spro

battening hatches

Post by spro »

Ahem. ..Anyway you accomplished much in the attic which wouldn't have been so comfortable when it's Hot. What you are doing will reduce both bills. The smart among us have got the mowing arbors repaired indoors now and fixed our snowblower in summer. so what. think about our freakin trees too. Totally crushed.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I think about many things, Spro. I just got a pallet from the tire shop, where I replaced two front tires on my Ready Ranger. (vibrating and old. Running 70 on the x-pressway is bringing out the flaw) So back by the dumpster is this forlorn dark wooden pallet. The top boards are thin at about a half inch, so I check it out. They shipped custom aluminum wheels on it.
Holy cow! Its built of Black Walnut boards, and white sapwood skids. Its mine and I put in the rafters to cure some. (tore down). Nice project wood, I dont have to skimp on using. It is free and puts a rare wood to use, rather than in the dumper. Now thats green. ( Ta-DA! Another champion dumpster diver award!) Ok, so its not such a big thing. I get pleasure from just the idea of possesing a rare wood for free. Its me, I'm just moody. :)

Like most things, I have 2 or 3 sets of knee pads, If I could only find them. :( It was just a SMALL job, wasn't it? Major hurt anyway, more like torture.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

Do not think that you are the only one who plowed a road beside you and met similar obstruction. The goal was not to lay that "treasure" of squirely walnut up for yourself primarily but to preserve until you or someone else who can use it can actually get at it. If it's rotten in the field or burned it's gone. I can't explain as well as you but we are kin in that we don't like certain things go to rot and work to save them while the world spirals in different direction. I'll tell you a story which is nothing but why I cannot over extend. I once went to an estate auction type thing where there were many hand hewn beams of oak and chestnut. I knew i didn't have the werewithall to move which HAD TO be moved for they were selling the farm etc. (?!!!!) so, only bid on a small lot. Now a fellow, actually a couple approached me and wanted to buy a few beams from my lot.
This is getting difficult for me to relate but it ties into something dave, it does. I had a fair large van then with more importantly a huge heavy rack and a suspension to handle(I don't know what I put on there ,around 700lbs+ that plus that. no big deal) BUT THE THING IS THEY WERE GONNA CUT THOSE BEAMS I did sell them. And I did AND THEY DID. Right there and I wanted to puke.
Amongst my hoarding of beams -small in number of those days was one chestnust Then. It was attacked by every vermin by current world. If it wasn't every critter soiling it or every cheap tarp the termites got it. It was a pitiful wreck. I didn't have a barn or enclosure at the time. The thing was spinning to ashes by one way or another. The ones the others got at least survived.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Well boogers! Here I am overcommitted again. Just a note: I need to be at Mr. M's house this morning, to move my Brake, and help him raise a roof section on his house. I am not ready. I did fix the Vacuum cleaner tho. :roll: It ate too much cat hair.

It is supposed to snow heavy tonite, so I got to finish the Van fender today.

TTFN.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Its 5pm Sun. Stuffed chicken in the oven. Mr. M had plenty of help, I took off, to work on the Whale. I will probably help him wire his new bumped out attic room, and fish drywall when its time.

Cant reach the one bolt on the Van fender, it is frustrating me. Fired up the portable air compressor, for the air ratchet c/o limited swing for the handle, and it blew a hole in on of the 10 Gal tanks. About a 1/4 inch around, repair is improbable. I've got a 30 gallon commercial tank that I can transfer all the mechanics to. Did some futher maint to the van getting things hot to go, but the fender has hexed me. I was going to use the van to move the brake, so it is holding me up. Did routine service fills and checks on the two ready Rangers, before the snow, put wiper blades on the van, too weatherworn. Got 2nd seat cover, for the torn version coverup. Cab is shaping up.

The YL, found a deal on Craigs list, so Sat nite we travelled 30 miles to pick up a 36 flat screen sony TV, the 6x6 Entertainment cab, and a 5 speaker home theater/dvd/CD control-player for $100. Hard to fit in her Ready Ranger. A few tie straps and we got it home hanging off the gate, on bumpy Chi-town expressways. Story goes several people showed up to buy it at $400 with SUV's, and the 6 x 6 foot cabinet would not fit inside, so they passed. He reposted on Craigs' and she came up with it. Now my living space looks like Wharehouse #13. I had to call several family and John, my young friend at 10:30 to move the lead weighted TV, and this wooden monument into the living space Upacross the deck, through the dining room. Took 4 people to get 'er done. We quit with most everything working at 3 AM. :oops:

We were already changing spaces with storage and book shelves, putting the big horizontal cabinet into the computer room. Now its worse. Will take days to get the clutter sorted an stored.

Ecch! It just started snowing again, they predict about 4-8 in the next coupla days.

I got two fiberglass wands to make 4 teaching aids (pointers) with some walnut handles. The Walnut will be shaped to a tapered flatish handle for the wands , like a Harry Potter magic wand on steroids. A blop of white paint on the tip will finish it.

Gotta wax my Grain scoop. :wink:
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Heh!

Looks to me like you need a hobby, to fill in your idle time! :-0

(Just kidding, of course.)

Harold
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Uhuh. I wish I were. Not enough time is just a short log of things I do, or get tangled in. Like a voyeur on a soap opera, some one may gain some insight or strength, or (?) on a daily life. It is the reason the best intensions and plans fall short or fail. I realize I am not alone, this is not a whine, just a short chronical of moving on, and keeping on. Not everyones road, just mine.

It is also why my engines/projects (toys) are gathering dust, instead of advancing much.

Manic Monday, school today, and a quiz on Psychomtrics of Environmental conditioning. Gotta leave early with the snow flavoring the commute. Gotta love it.

Thanks for lookin :wink:
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

steamin10 wrote:Thanks for lookin :wink:
I always do! Just doh't have time to respond. Keep the reports coming.

H
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ugh! Never be in a hurry. The latest disaster to strike was placing my school books on the edge of the Ranger bed, while I unlocked the drivers door, with my tool bag in hand. It took a ride home and finding my Text book in the snow of the bed, to realize I did one of those bag-on-the-roof things, and my Notebook with all its notes and supplies, calculator, carbon and color pencils and pens were missing. A trip back to the school , a search of the parking lot, and a sheepish inquiry, I got my runned-over notebook back. The office graciously supplied 'The Old Guy' with another blank binder, to transfer my paperwork into. It saved a lot of work on a lab calculating from Celsious, to Fahrenheit, to Rankine, to Kelvin. All crap I will never use. Gawd, I HATE punching numbers on a small calcualtor with BIG fingers. I guess that also means I won't be a Phone texting addict.

Spent time after dinner/supper, packing small boxes with the accumulated Tapes and DVDs, and other stored junk form the old entertainment center. I didn't realize how bad it has sagged and distorted over time, until I had to pry the doors open and get some things out. (sigh) I will put it on Freecycle, and see if anybody can use the wreckage, there are always the less fortunate out there.

YL's Daughter Lost a FAV cat, related to our feline family, to kidney failure. (Put down after blood test indicated unsurvivable damage). Hokus was only three, leaving her littermate Pokus behind. They were Black cats, She a tiny and spunky thing, He a stately 10+ lb'er. I now have to build another coffin for the pet cemetary. (yes, we have Mom's Apple tree, for the departed pets. Another story entirely) So I will be crankng up the saw and router to run off 3 more boxes. (Production line).

The snow plow touched my mailbox, at the rental. The arm broke in three pieces, and bent the $8 steel box. About every year, I have to replace one of the three boxes here due to direct hits from the snow plows.

Well , Embroiled in some more happenstances. Laters.