Never enough time

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: Never enough time

Post by steamin10 »

Helper and buddy John stopped by this morning, while i was still lying in my cript,He got drafted to help and we attacked the mower question. We heaved the Crpsman tractor over on the chute side, and an inspection revealed a large shard of metal sheet had become wedged in the front of the deck structure. A tickle with a 4 inch cutoff tool, and we removed the piece that was hitting the left blade with every round. Next we cut out the saftey bar under the chute as planned before at the apex of the blade arc. Now the grass and weeds flow much better from the deck. A piece of light clothes line tied through a hole in the plastic chute allows me to raise and lower it from the upper part of the deck handle, to get an inch or so of rise under the chute. This allows the grass to blow out several feet when needed to avoid clump windrows. That way the grass floats out over the flatness to dry, and not leave balls of clumpy cuttings to rot spots in the savanna. So far it is working out with the mods, and there are 4 spare belts on the wall. They are 4L95 for this model. That means a half inch power belt of 95 inch length.

Heres a tip you can all use. Whenever you get a new to you machine, find all the fuel filters, and oil filters, and belts. and when you renew them write down their code numbers on the underside of the hood with magic marker. It is a very handy list when you need the next filter or belt. Just look under the hood. No embarrassing three trips for a wrong sized something. No memory lapse. I have multiple working machines, so confusion is a problem.

Since I cant drive a nail straight yet, John became the hammer jockey in the goat baa-arn and we topped the available 4 foot liner sheet with a 1x4, and stretched some painted 2x2 wire welded fencing above that to the rafters in the barn, so now the goats cannot get over the wall with the open air above fenced off. The little darlings can just about pop over the 4 foot wall. So now that is done Mom brought home some thirst quenchers, John moved on to his next detail job (he charges 50 to clean and detail your car, from the carpet to the headliner). I took a nap, and am waiting for my eye drops to settle as I write this. I will mow a bit, and then drive some posts for more fencing on the goat paddock. Ellie is the most curious, and sociable thing, and a pleasure to be around.

I have some people coming for the 4rth, so my maxi barrel grill will be pulled out of the weeds and used for some ribs and chicken. I am thinking it will be the last roundup for that, as I am not going to host any parties anymore. With that thought, I wish you all a festive and filling 4rth. (Belch). I will loft a couple of bowling balls out of my mortor, and ohh and aah at some fire-orks, and enjoy the moment. I bid you peace in your world of endeavors.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

The 4rth did not go as planned. It became just another work day. Goat yard was expandeed, and the pirated drive way gates were returned to sonny for his yard. the goats are happy with the expanded area, and materials are being laid out to build a couple of fence panels with cyclone top rail, welded into a frame and braced with 3/4 conduit EMT. Several panels covered with 5 foot cyclone fencing make for portable barriers to ring in areas for the goats. Plans are to get a roll of field fence that is 200= feet and cordon off the worst area for a major paddock. The ten foot panels are bult like a dog run, and some have gates, so they provide access or separation as needed. The wire machine makes short work of tacking the pipe together with a little hammer work to flatted the ends some to join on the side of the pipe. a touch with a grinder removes the zinc coat for a clean weld.

3 belts on the wall.(oops). The grass is growing very fast adn heavy with the sprinkles of rain we have. It is hard to keep up with fuel demands since I cannot drive yet. 12 gallons of fuel used for the back area alone, Moved a grown in fence, and mowed the too tall grass, became hard on the belt. Got another half acre to re-mow already knee high.

01 degrees here by noon, and I spent all morning getting another shot and exam at the eye clinic.That precludes any afternoon fun, as I recover from the discomfort. Probably one more set of shots for the retina treatments. vision is around 20/30 and pretty good when they leave it alone. I am straining in the harness to resume my normal life, but I am cautious about inviting problems with dust and dirt on disturbed eyes, that might invite infection. Go slow, and be smart I think. ttfn
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Hey all. It rained this morning, so I got a late nap, before getting started. Spent some outdoor time cutting and measuring the rails for the gost run panels. More involved than driving posts for line fence, but portable for multi use. Cut all the parts for 2 ten foot sections. I will have to clean my yard trailer off to make a stable work area that wont kill my back during assembly.

E-poxied the broken guard on a string whacker too, as my school marm helper will appear tomorrow for landscape grunt work, getting those important things out of the weeds.

The tractor mower is leaving a stripe down the middle, so a blade must have been injured, and needs attention. It never stops with the mower equipment. I found a John Deere mower/loader/backhoe for cheep. 700 hrs on the 4x4 diesel beauty, and I am tempted to buy it. I have need of a loader, even a small one.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

got to see you getting active again old hos
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I just got home from the eye Doc, and an off scheduled visit. I am released from the curfery clinic, abut lost some clarity in my left eye. It is down to 20/80 due to some swelling. The implants are good, gut the vessels in the left are leaking. So, the retinal clinic is switching to a more expensive treatment, that is supposed to tighten things up. it is 2 k for one treatment.

Not much choice here, say yes or go blind. Big choice.

It doesnt rain , but what it pours. The Grandson of Rose, hit a guard rail yesterday, and totalled his little dodge mini van. The flaired end of the guard rail slid off the drivers side wheel and pierced the cavin at the drivers feet. About 6 feet of that rail is in the cabin. Brandon got brushed aside, and wound up with 8 internal, and 17 external closure stitches on his upper thigh. So the 21 yr old youngster survived a near miss. In my years as wrecker driver and body man, having seen past results of typical collisions, nothing good happens when a guardrail enters a vehicle. He is an apprentice electrician, and will be off for some time to heal, we are guessing at least 6 weeks. So we are a bit stirred at present..

laying low at present, until my left eye settles in for a day or so. I have panels to weld, and a mower deck needing blades and bearings. It will keep. TTFN
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

The latest news is that my cardio doc got ahold of me, and is trying to tame my wild blood pressures. I quit just about all of the normal meds, and focused on getting my sugar numbers right, and then went after cutting the salt and watching my weight number drop, since I packed on 10 lbs on Mom's cruise.. So the story is, my pressure spiked and the heart coo I have heard for about 15 years became an issue, and they layed me out for an angiogram with all the spike , stent, diggers and tools to do a right job. They put dye in my radial artery and the carotid at the neck, and took movies. When I woke up, they showed me where there was some plaque, but it appeared to be dissolving and only evidenced with the non smooth appearance of the arteries that feed the branches of the heart. The valve was functioning well enough to not be an issue, so I got off the table without any invasive repairs. Good enough.

The eyes are another matter. They show the typical diabetic stresses that occur with high sugar. That is the cause for the retinal shots in the eyeball with medication to tighten up the vessels, and reduce the leaking that can wipe out vision totally. Glad to say my a-1C numbers are much improved, and daily sugars are about 100 give or take a few points. So far, the 7 shots in the eyeballs have resulted in increased visual acuity so that the right eye is now 20(20, and the left is 20/40. About August 24 I will get another shot in the left, that costs about 1500 per dose, to force the unresponsive eye to co-operate. Part of it is covered by a grant foundation just for this treatment. So, thats about 8K for implants, and around 3K for dosing the eyes. My out of pocket is about One K total, but progress is being made if I can get it to hold. I still cant weld yet.

That brings us to the parts I bought for building panels for the Goats. We found another dog run taken down that was 6 foot tall with cyclone fence and two doors for dog runs. Two gate panels of ten foot, and 7 panels of various sizes ready to pick up for $200. We set it up and easily double the size of the goat pen, and they are loving it. They are removing the weeds and reveiling the hidden wood pile and golf car tires stored by the barn. Another week or so and we will be putting up field fence and poles for more controlled area to romp in, as we have found some more Nigerian dwarfs to adopt. They are cheap, and ready to go, so we may make this happen.

The Crapsman LT1000 tractor is giving fits, on the used deck and ate two belts with the deck change, since mowing decorative bricks is not a good idea. Just today we got a new belt to mow about an acre of too tall grass, and mowing stopped because of fuel needs, having run through my current supply. Now I will turn to getting the electric clutch mower checked out and the deck back under that one for more available equipment. I have 3 Crapsman tractors, which is 3 too many, so bringing them back to life and selling most of my stock will occur before fall.The crunch is over, so its time to recover.

Effort is being put into painting the weather damaged siding on my little garage and Annex. Caulking and salvage of siding from interior spaces to repair the lower water damaged boards at the drip line will occur in the Annex where the siding is hidden from view. Sheet siding of t-111 type will replace the interior pieces, they being used to unify the original look of the regular 8 inch siding outside. Restore, of the Habitat for Humanity, is providing generic recycled paint for nominal cost of $12 a gallon, and the color is stabilized by putting 3 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket to even it out. So the scrape and brush method is in use here on a walk-board to give some eye-shine to my uncared for garage. Kari, my young school marm helper has done a bang-up job pulling a forest of ragweed this spring, and exposing all the metal and projects piled and collected in the back yard. Now weed free it looks like a dump, but, my motivated sorting between doctor treatments will change that. Unfortunately a lot of salvaged wood will go to waste in the name of progress, but that is normal for any re-purposing that occurs. Several nice buildings were built and sold, so I wont cry over the leavings. Much was used rather than just poked in a landfill.

So the daily to-do list is out, a gallon of deck preserver is loaded into the sprayer, two gallons already applied. The broken bottom step on the deck is repaired and blocked in, a few broken screws need to be replaced but that will cover the deck repairs. Two bags of play sand are laid in to help level the walk to the back door, now made unlevel by mole activity. The short walk should take bout 2 hours of tamping and fiddling to improve the roller coaster feel of the brick pavers. So with burgeoning spirits, I will whistle while I work tomorrow. Its Mom Rose's long day, and I will make her some stuffed peppers. She likes those.

TTFN. I hope you feel a lucky as I do.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Well guys, I got another shot in the left eye today, and that shuts down my visual accuracy for a day or so. In fits and starts I am advancing with the pens and lawn equipment. I got three more belts off of fleebay for about 20 bucks, and a spindle for about the same so repairs to the rough cutting deck are in line too. In comparing the deck with the chute cut down to the standard saf-t-bar deck, my thery was correct about clearing the tall grass blobs, but recutting fresh gobs is a problem, and will overpower the belts with the gobs torching the belt on a stall. It is just better. Somehow the lt1000 broke a brace for the transaxle (probably running over the saplings I chew up) and a new slightly heavier strap is being made to fit. I dont like the gear trans axle, and am toying with the idea of fitting a hydrostatic under this machine to get better ground speed control. The clutch action is grab-n-go, and maddening. I like to be able to match ground speeds with the load on the engine for efficient cutting, too, as I push the limits of the machine.

All the paperwork arrived for the Ford Escape that we just bought at a local Ford dealer. We just dropped in and it was traded the day before. The 07 model was clean, and freshly serviced, we ran the numbers, and it came out affordable so we stepped out of the 4= wheel drive Explorer that we drove to Florida, and put it up for sale. So we went from a 145k vehicle to an 87k vehicle for a cheap deal.

Still working on yard collections, doc appointments and eye problems, but we aint done yet. My school marm helper Kari is back teaching school, but we got a 14 yr old kid to help out on Saturday to do a lot of grunt and leg work I cant really do anymore. This week I hope to paint the garage and annex and cover up some raw wood and caulk. The kid is good, and I dont have to coddle him. He can handle the diesel tractor well, and follows instructions well to the limits of his knowledge. A go-getter, he was awarded two new baseballs to take home, as he has two younger brothers. I have a coupla good used bats to follow up with, in the incentive program beyond his base pay. I hope he continues for a bit more, I have lots to get done.

Rose is tired of being my taxi driver, so an attempt to pass a BMV test is close at hand. Stay tuned.
spro

Post by spro »

There is a lot which I cannot reply to. It is overwhelmingly positive and I leave that alone. Going to a hydrostatic transaxle from direct gearing is interesting. Many have changed out the hydrostatic to gears for pulling and different reasons. For that reason, you may find a good one for your use. I just have to say the earlier automatics have issues over time. Separate pumps to head of geared transaxles is a head ache for me these days. There are some transaxles which are mostly sealed and the heavier ones are what you want. They couldn't pull a load as with garden tractor pulls but would be fine for mowing.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Spro- This is basic economics 101. I bought the LT 1000 Crapsman mower, with the full knowledge that it was inadequate for my intended abuse. It is simple, a high HP unit to spin the blades on a lawn tractor on 5 aces for 350 dollars, or multiple thousands for new equipment to handle the job. I expect to trash the mower, and part the remains out after one season. In actuality, it already shows the signs of failure to the now broken steering due to a buckled frame that allows the steering axle to roll. Nuff said.

It doesnt owe me a dime. It surpassed all performance expectations, and took the load off of my (expensive) cherished compact diesel. Whatever I sell the parts for or convert to cash is just a bonus to the use I have gotten.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT LAST, OR DO WITHOUT.

I am banking on smart money management.. long term. Your milage may be different. .
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya, I sledge hammered the buckle in the frame, and welded the steering knuckle that failed. It is all part of the game, but then I am a repair guy, anyway, just trying to keep my domain from looking like a dump. The goats are eating up the weedy environment, and I wish I had more, but am unwilling to add more personalities to the mix. They are much more enjoyable than I would have imagined, being more like attentive dogs and following (prancing) around us. All I do is move the fencing, and they eliminate the brush and weeds over a coupla weeks. They are browsers, and not grazers, so it works out for me.

I am happy with the results they give me. recently a neighbor has released some cats into the 'hood, and we now have ferral cats in the mix. He is going to get a nasty letter from me, but in the near future, they will be caught and treated to the normal cat trauma of spay, neuter, shot immunization , in defense of the homestead.

I just bought some O/O BUCK, and .22 birdshot at the gunstore today, for basic farm needs, so I am ready for anything. Dont ask. I sleep well with 11 cat-children in the house. Add to that , two spoiled Shetland Sheepdogs, and you get the idea I live in a barn. Almost. When I become unhappy, it will change. Enjoy your life, or change it up , to what you want. Laters
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Well the LT1000 geared tractor has taken a serious hit, and is failing. The constant snatching of the mowed down saplings in the back 40 have taken to bending the frame, with associated steering problems. While scanning the local Craigs another LT1000 popped up for 200 dollars with a bucket type grass catcher. It has a broken motor of 17.5 HP but is a prefered Hydro trans model. SOoooo, the current plan is to swap the more powerful 19.5 engine into this carcass, dump the grass catcher for a few bucks, and part out the remains of the bent framed tractor, and add or sell the extra mower deck, since I just rebuilt the modified one. I have 4 decks now, and dont need them all, 3 is overkill. I have several other 'dead' tractors to part down, 7 in all to eliminate the clutter in the back yard. My neighbor ,Charlie, has said he is quitting the lawn mower service business next year, he being 72, and not needing the hassle according to him. He has a garage full of small parts, and I may make him an offer on the leavings. I may pursue this avocation next year.

Currently struggling with 4 crapsman type estate mowers, Down to one that is working, with bent steering.. We are set to take delivery on two more pygmy goats. Another area is being fenced off with various cyclone fence parts.

I need to engine up 2 log splitters, one a stand up model, the other a beam unit, to sell off.

Besides the goat fencing, I have to slide a chicken house some dozen feet into position to place an access gate between the garage annex and the 8 x 12 chicken house, our Silky house. We are going to collect about half of the flock and remove various unwanted males to hold what we have for next year. Various small coops and rabbit hutches will hit the burn pile for disposal, and removal from the habitat. Normal actions for this time of year, to trim the excess. They being old odd and old ideas, and unused this year because of conditions and size limits. Hardware and some wire will be stripped from these and the rest disposed of by whatever means possible.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

We took the run about 90 minutes out to Morris Illinois, and took possession of Fred and Ginger. Two pygmy goats. Fred was wethered last week, and they are born in March, so they are about the same age, as Carl and Ellie. They are dog caged until we get them to the Vet for shots, and general check before we put them together.

Meantime, at Tractor supply I bought another 10 T posts to lay out some more cyclone fence around another overgrown area. The normal top rail fittings will stay on the T pots to hold the top of the fence, and spacing out to 10 feet is about all the economy i can get. I made a post driver with some 2 inch pipe and made some curvy handles welded on the side for eas of driving the 6.5 foot posts. The normal aluminum pre bent wire ties will hang and stabilize the fabric. I still have to make two panels dog run style, for gates and entry points, but that is details as we go along. Meanwhile I search Craigs for more fabric and parts on supplies and free stuff.

Took the worn steering arm,ball socket off the injured tractor and bashed the clearance down to where the ball stays in the socket again. Now looking for those replacement ends to weld a new joint on the rod. I found another engine for the dead one I just picked up, but have not heard back. If I cant get that, then I will go to the junk yard and retro fit something I have out there. Falll is coming, and I need to finish some storage on the garage under roof.