Never enough time

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: Never enough time

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Patio wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:24 am
Pipe and conduit have a measured ID with the OD depending on the wall thickness, where as tubing has a measured OD, with the ID depending on the wall thickness.
True, except for pipe.
Pipe has a consistent OD, and the ID varies. The size of the pipe, up to 12" dia, is the nominal ID of schedule 40. 14" and above, the pipe size is the OD, like tubing.
ie; 2" schedule 10 is 2.375" OD. So is 2" schedule 80.

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

OK, this cold and bright Tuesday morn I cranked myself off the couch to finish a project for mom. The silkie house heater has failed and we have lost three birds to the cold in two days. So Mom bought a new milhouse heater from the farm store, and I removed the tipover switch for its install to the wall. Two simple brackets of aluminum bar stock hang this thing about 5 feet abovve the floor, and the automatic contros switch it off/on by room temperature to break the chill in the 8 x 16 chicken house. Not really for heat just to relive the chill it saves birds all winter. Silkies are a smaller ornamental bird that do not fair well in extreme conditiions. At any rate the failed heater was removed and all the fittings applied to the new unit, and it is running happily in the house. Two screws to the studs and a plug is easy to handle on a cold day. The old unit is in the parts pile chocked with chicken fluff and webs to await a better day for inspection and renewal if possible.

We are getting lake effect snows that keep dumping fluff on the deck and slicking out the roads with cold snow, it is only -8 last night, and gnaws on the security of my homestead. Too cold to play outside, I sip tea and pound on the computer and organize my forgotten projects on the shelf. Last project was sorting and counting egg cartons for an order. 500 used cartons boxed and ready to go. Lots of space left now. Putting lots of stuff on Fleabay that are no longer needed. I am finding the stairs to be a challenge with my leg condition, but excercise is the key.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

OMG! OMG! ITS A BOY! Mom has a day off, and went to feed an water the animals and we are presented with a new baby goat! Ginger, the last goat added to the herd has delivered a black with white marks baby boy. Mom came in and wrapped the tike in a towel, and I cuddled the little guy up on the bed and my boss cat, Punky, came to inspect the row. The goat bleated and he hauled off and gave my knuckle a good chew trying to release the little guy. I could see Punky was upset at the stressful noise. He was serious tho, and almost broke the skin leaving marks, the rascal. So, just when I have decided no more animals, life happens, while you are making plans.

We are totally unprepared for a new addition, especially in cold weather. For now, a huge plastic dog crate is going to be home in the basement for Ginger until we figure out what else to do. I am beside myself. I get to land on my feet running with this one. Motivation is where you find it.

Laters, gotta go.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Friday morning and there is a grand plan for me to locate a battery for the Ranger while Mom rose is at work and get it in shape with the average weather going on. it should top 40 so i t will be a comfy day if a little soggy. Locating some brackets for a wall hanging hand rail is in order too.

I got the last energy bill. Yikes! I have to cut off some power cords laid out, as they must be leaking to ground. Electric use is about double normal. I will clock the meter and shut down various ground cords to find the offender.. Outdoor cords have a tendency to leak at plugs in wet weather, the burn marks are evident. It is a problem with 'temporary' installations.

In case anybody is wondering, the little goat Lover Boy has slept quite well on a towel next to me on the couch, and the new mom is getting used to the new nursing routine with some avid help from volunteers. Once Lover shows signs of hunger we get him down to mom for his training session in the pig sanctuary (guinee pigs) and all becomes well. He is born early out of season and cannot be committed to the cold we have. Poor guy was born in the sub zero snap last week and we were lucky to find him in time. March and April is the normal birthing time for spring, and base temperatures above freezing the norm. Too early and the new guys usually dont survive well.

A cat disrupted the door seal on the back door, so I have to re-glue it in as it makes closing a problem. several other projects are taking off as I try to sort out the pilot problems from last summer. Ya, know hurry along and pile it here, and there until you cant see the piles for the piles. Likewise, the display cage boxes for the chickens have been re-kitted and measured out. I can now cut bushels of parts for kits to sell at the local bird auction. It is one of the ways of turning scrap wood and shorts into income during my retirement. My daughter works for a construction company, and the dumpster is usually loaded with shorts that are usable for such projects. As my mobility returns my to-do list grows. I am sure I am special in this regard, with all the readers just waiting for the spring in the northern climes.

Along the lines of thinking ahead, does anybody know much about making dowels by pressing a wood block through a die to make a pin (dowel) like they used to do for barns. I need about a zillion dowels that are 6 1/4 inch long and 3/8 diameter. I think I can make these with a hand press and die plate from sawed blanks in pine. Would oak or some other wood be better. Maple dowels are nice but with the volume I need scraps are attractive with the short lengths. Got any ideas?
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Just a note: A new battery is installed in the Ranger, the old one dated 2010. We obtained a new one through a friend at discount,

I have been babysitting a goat that is loose in the house, and is just a barrel of laughs as he challenges casts, and dogs, and prances along on wobbly legs just enjoying his few days of life. He makes a good game of leaping on/off the dog beds as goats would mountains, and he is only 4 days old. He really is a buddy and has all amnner of talk and sounds of recognition, and settles down on his towel on the couch next to my TV spot and sleeps often with his lips on my hand and similar positions. The cats are way bigger than he, but he takes no quarter in his roughing with them. He really is an adorable bundle. Once hungry and fed, he stays in the dog kennel with his Mom, but she is quite mean with him. Ginger has been let out to the yard and brought back to feed him. A real pain, but as he grows she will have less ability to resist him, and obviously his house time will be limited. So far it is just too much fun, and he already has learned his towel is where he stays. Such a baby. Nuff said.

Cold snap tonite and snow.
mikeehlert

Post by mikeehlert »

Re barn dowels.
Remember seeing a show on the tube. Millwrights Shop or some such? In any case stock was just hammered through a hole in a plate..... not even a view of the cutting edge or relief. The burred over end was trimmed afterwards.
An older timber joint was sectioned and much made of the crooked state of the old dowel and the need for green wood to accept the mismatch and then dry in place locking things together. I gues one could get similar results by steming the dowels before driving.
RickBarb

Post by RickBarb »

check out the following link for info on dowel pin construction.

http://www.tfdesign.cz/index.php/constr ... ion_dowels

I seem to remember my father saying that Locust pins would not shrink and they should not be perfectly round, but rather be slightly tapered and have corners to "bite" into the round hole when driven in. I have never actually built anything using dowels, so take it for what it is worth.
Rick
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

since the project is being cheep pegs for a chicken box, the good article does not help with the making of such pins.. upon thinking about what I have to work with, I think I can use a router table to run spquare blanks into a finger board and trim off the corners for a fairly round dowel when done. Otherwise I will be buying a lot of doweling from Mantards.

An old friend actually has a dowel plate from Amish country. It has several holes in it that are about onee inch, and have the edges raised slightly like aa steel taper pin was driven into the backside, so the hole is pronounced one way, This is worked with a file and has a slightly pronounced lip that is fairly sharp but relieved on through the plate. He showed me a han d made hammer of some weight, made of a weighty and hard wood, and wieghing about 6-8 lbs. This was the driver for the plate. So now I know what they used for barns, but it is too large for my neds,

Thanks for the reply, it is good information.
spro

Post by spro »

Hey Dave. This is very good explanation of how the dowel former would work. I hadn't investigated before. It always looked like the stock was driven into a flat hole. I can see how a taper from the back would raise a lip at the top and that would be sharpened. Then! a counter bore around that lip to make it more pronounced. Then if that bore was "just so" deep and a radius cut... It would present to the stock ..a circular planeing blade. It would shear off the stock as it went into the hole. This is good stuff - to me anyway.
spro

Post by spro »

They all looked flat bar to me and maybe that was better. Since the dowel stock was straight grained, it wasn't exactly perfect at both sides. One side may tear while the other was sheared. So, just the sharp lip and no more. The lip was "shaving" yet that edge became dull. One way or another the lip was created by grinding or filing below the surface that we see as flat.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Did a little cleaning and organizing of the piles from last year, in the lower level 'basement' storage and work area. Sheesh what a mess. I have sold off about a dozen rebuilt pool cues for cheap and 2 sets of balls for the pool table I dont have. It tugs at my soul that I have decided to give up on some of my joyful things. But along the way we have to make choices about our path and what we CAN do, and what will fall out of reach. Scuba equipment I have is outdated, and very little value, and I am without hope of persuing that line of activity anymore, so the tanks and such pieces are on the market to dispose of. I will be buying the 14 yr old grandotter a violin to play with as she has expressed some musical talent. Her Dad nixed the idea about percussion but we shall see if she takes it up.

Investigations into the power drain has revealed a burnt cord in the yard leaking energy into the soggy ground. The surprise was a faulty bar fridge that is losing its charge and now runs 24/7 It is an older Heir that got beat up when it fell out of a delivery truck. Its corners were beat and nasty but had zero hours when put behind my bar many moon ago. I will get a compact fridge from the second hand Restore to take its place since I dont drink anymore but like some cool pops on the lower level. Where else but behind the bar?

I have taken to re-organize my stock of metals and supplies as there is a lot of brass missing. I cant imagine who would be the dirty dog to raid my carefully selected stock. Well, I can imagine, since it is a limited few. They may rue the day when I take action

Mom Rose caused a riot at work, by taking Lover Boy to the Vet clinic. He not only pranced and played but was a real child chasing the clinic cat and just being generally cute and cuddly. Mom bought some portable light bulbs based on solar powered LEDs for the chicken barn. You can unplug them and hang them anywhere like a flashlight, and they have a wired solar cell that sticks on the wall. So its lights off in the chicken house and stlil 24 hour lighting. Another holder of chickens says she gets eggs all winter with the lighting spurring the girls on. We shall see.. TTFN
spro

Post by spro »

Just really enjoy reading and thinking about. Can't tell you more than you already know. Heh Loverboy . miniature. He wants to grow to your size. Seen this happen.
Good stuff.