Never enough time

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

wsippola

Re: Never enough time

Post by wsippola »

I grew up on a farm. The rule was pretty simple - dog kills chickens, dog gets killed. They won't stop. They do it for entertainment, not food. You can trap it, send it back to it's owner or whatever. But the first chance it gets, it will be back killing your chickens. Yeah it sucks, but so does losing your livestock.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

And, your argument is?.... Are you informing me, or lecturing? I get it. It is still a living problem for me, in that dimension. I cannot debate a predator, to not bother me. But I have to accept that living things, become non living for various reason. Including food. I am not naive to think I am alone, or without competition or support. From the feedback of this thread, I read it as support, to make deadly decisions. The decision to repel all comers. Still I support reason, against anarchy, in my 'Hood'. We all face conflicts, and trials. I think they are beyond the scope of this board for me, but thank you all for your time and comfort, in this thing I have exposed in my life. It feels that I have touched a nerve of struggle, that others feel so well.

Thank you my brothers by another mother. Nature, Life is a trial. She has many children, I am one. I care for my charges as I can. The responses to my comments say you care for me. Thank you so much. Let us move to other things. Much more fun. Dave.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

The harsh reality is one must use good judgment when it comes to offing critters. Some localities forbid the discharge of firearms, regardless of reason, and I suspect that Big Dave is not up to the task of running them down and biting them to death.

One must also live with one's conscience. Big Dave is known to be involved with the rescue of critters. For him, what has been proposed may not be to his liking. He should not be put upon for what he believes, as we all march to the music we hear, and should not be bound by those who march to a different tune.

Please change this conversation to one that is more pleasing and comfortable for all. There will be no burning of witches on my watch.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Bottom line today: I have a new 5.5 freezer, that replaces the one lost to a basement flood some 2 years ago, now stuffed with deer and store bought sale meats. !38 lb deer was dressed out at a licensed processor, and got me some Summer Sausage, I could not make myself.

Mom Graffit-ed the truck with The 'Buck Stopped Here'. I am broke, (having an out-of-money experience!) but friends of the Rescue have posted a Fund My Cause account, that has produced enough cash, that the crippled Ranger will be committed to repair on Monday, with the promise of delivery on Friday. So here we go, riding over the cliff of the money abyss, with hopes and a breeze in my face. Into the unknown we go, I hope it works. Like a Robin on the first flight of the nest, failure is cruel, so not to be considered.

Sold odd birds off, to set up for winter, unneeded birds gone from the feed line. So coopage is upgraded and tightened up for fall, fencing moves for ground cover, and so it goes.

Doing the last mowing of the year to clear tall grass for fire protection, and reduce thatch. I melted the belt on the tractor. It quickly ate two standard belts from ACE, so I got a Kevlar from Tractor Supply, and ran 4 hours or so today to finish it off. Mowed the major part of 3 acres of too-tall grass and weeds (brush). So now, to do grease, blade sharpened, oil change done, I can return the tractor this weekend and move on.

Another part of extended family is in crisis, with 50 something Mom down after surgery to eliminate a flesh eating bacterial thing. So far ok, but will require skin grafts, and possible toe loss. So family is in drama with the watch in the hospital, that may help the spirit for survival. So the Force rumbles, as I wait for the path to expose itself.

Next time.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

Dear Big Dave, amidst all this, others do dare to care. This is serious with Mom. That can... You will be stronger than ever for her and there will be support. I know you can deal with this yourself, it shouldn't be happening and the rest. Serious Biz. now. Some hospitals release when ... my heart knows her through you. This must be attacked aggressively in early stages.
Sending my best would be a donation towards her recovery. I will do that. I expect your friends will do the same.
There can be no awkwardness in this. Minutes are days. Days are too long. I don't want this happen to ...I don't want the trip point.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

I would caution against the use of a paintball gun or other such device. Up here there is provision in the law to shoot and kill an animal if it is harassing and killing livestock, as I'm sure there is in most of this continent. However shooting an animal with a paintball gun may be seen as animal cruelty, even though the intention may be to spare the animal from death.

Doing a quick internet search there are several cases where people have been prosecuted for shooting animals with paintball guns, albeit not under similar circumstances to what Dave has described.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Spro---To be clear, this is NOT my immediate family. It is related, the Mom of Son's girl friend. She waited 3 weeks, doesnt like docs. Can be a big mistake as age creeps in. I have had toe injuries twice in the last 3 years, and have been very cautious, given my conditions. I plan to live forever... So far so good. :lol:
reggie_obe

Post by reggie_obe »

redneckalbertan wrote:I would caution against the use of a paintball gun or other such device. Up here there is provision in the law to shoot and kill an animal if it is harassing and killing livestock, as I'm sure there is in most of this continent. However shooting an animal with a paintball gun may be seen as animal cruelty, even though the intention may be to spare the animal from death.

Doing a quick internet search there are several cases where people have been prosecuted for shooting animals with paintball guns, albeit not under similar circumstances to what Dave has described.
Single wire "electric fencer" solar powered with battery and rigged to turn on only at night.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Oh well, body guy is behind, so Rescue Ranger was delivered about 3 PM. He received a healthy check from the 'cause' people, and parts begin arriving Tuesday. He is replacing the two window mounts in a long nosed Chevy type van, that are rusted out. The wide view glass leaks like a wounded submarine, so he is fixing the problem with all the glass out. Mom looks miserable without her normal ride, She hates mine.

I am picking at repairs, have one more deck board to replace, and dozens of small jobs to finish off. Ready to throw a nasty computer that refuses to function, out a 2nd floor window. Feels like wasted hours. Food boxes to the recycle center garnered a Coleman red cooler, that is cleaner and brighter than my two. Went there to pick up two commercial door glass panels that have been stripped of their aluminum. They are gone. I may continue to build the 'glass house' for the hot tub into fall anyway. The 2x6 framing should not be all that much, and worry about the level and fill later.

I plan on cutting the brush on the 2nd story West end, to shorten the Maple branches that a rubbing down on the roof. They will be problem if not controlled with the coming snow.

I plan to cut up all the 1x2 tube stock from the display frames, and store it for future use. Prolly test the portaband, with the sawsall for backup. Any motion is progress, as this is all left over projects from the toe damage time.. Just dumping my mind. It all begins with a plan.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Brrr. last few days have a damping drizzle. Mowing is shot. Tractor is dripping in the yard awaiting blade sharpening and delivery to cousin/owner.

Report from Paul the body guy is not good. The wrap around hit by the deer shoved the frame horns about 1.5 inches. I spent part of the day with him lending a hand. The bumper is back on, the right side lights are on, as are the front extensions, (plastic mounting for grilles and stuff) rt fender trimmed and hung, door edge rough straightened. Hood massaged into line, as it was thumped and humped. So good progress, but will not be done before about Tuesday with the rest of the paint and micro work to be done.

Gasoline is very unstable, down to $1.97 last week, then up to $239, and now $2.04. I'm likin it, but it has cashed the COLA for SS recipients for 2016.

Furnace is giving fits. Burners are not lighting across causing lockouts. Low temps are causing me to nursemaid this thing for colder nights. I will have to pull and vinegar wash the thing again, like 2 years ago. Fine fur and dust fill the wings and prevent gas flow for good light off. TTFN
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

i stole a few minutes to work on hobby stuff, with some aggravation as other things let go, are pushing into the stream of things. Some minor items for the Rescue Ranger, have been located, an forwarded to Paul the body guy. A place has been located to store My 2 Wheeler for the winter. $100 till March first. I simply dont have room. he is storing several other bikes, so its all good. I am in a cleaning phase of lathe and bar area, so I can move around and work on my smaller things. (cant see the workbench as usual.)
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Long story short: The Ranger is delivered. The repairs look first rate. On the Way to an oil change shop, the truck died. The engine is locked for unknown reasons. Had to push it home from town. Now I am really underwater with fall taxes and pay commitments. I will have to pull the tool box from the Black Ranger, which Mom hates, and use it. She has a big Expo to do an hour and more out, with a film crew interview. Some interested parties are filming parts of a documentary, that will feature Rose and her Rescue, in the Midwet here

Spring on the Annex door broke again. Two new replacements have been puchased and are waiting to be installed, before we play with trains again. With two new springs it will be easier to balance the lift.

Got a short piece of barn roofing tin, to make good the overlap that is leaking into the Annex. I hope to slip it in Friday morning.

The weed leaves and trees are mostly down, so trying to get things collected as can. Lots to do.

(Ooops! Sat morning) Had to CLEAN my pig-up truck for MOM).
Last edited by steamin10 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.