Never enough time

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: Never enough time

Post by steamin10 »

Well, I ruined a nice day. I spent the morning doing nothing on my list, instead going about mindlessly picking at bushes, lumber that floated in the flood, and stuff just laying around instead of a general plan. Two fuel cans are still in the truck, and I did not even lift the hood on a tractor. Thats what they make tomorrow for I guess. I even got the mail late, and found my restoration paints in the box. Another step in another project. Repaint my recently garnered Ives coaches to original colors.

With the changing weather, my to-do list is withering. One bite at a time, I will eat the whole elephant. The Escape is scheduled for a preventive maintenance shopping, a leak to be repaired in the Ranger cooling system, and that ilk. And of course getting the lawn tractors in shape. Belts, bearing and blades, OH MY! One has an engine change coming.Lots to do without rain or cold.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Icch! I had the brilliant idea of backing into a dead bush that I pulled out with the Ranger as the ground is mushy. An errant tree in the field of lesser size seemed to be ripe for the same kind of removal. So I backed into it and pushed with the rear bumper from all 4 sides. It bent as if in the wind, and a look told me a mistake was made. i collapsed the rt side of the bumper with the motions involved. right where the bumper bolts are the bumper is rusted form the inside under the plating, and it collapsed. It just shows to go you that being lazy is not the correct path, and you get bit at times. It only confirms my thoughts that I need to built a tooth to function as a root breaker for the diesel. by dragging the tooth through the soil and busting the root tendrals I can remove the offending mowed stumps and brush with greater ease and avoid destroying the mower deck mounts again this year. The frost has picked up many of the cut of fsaplings into the mower plain. Thsi in turn snagged the deck repeatedly and layed the front mounts back to the point where it has broken the front end links in rolling across the uneven ground. Several hours of unbolting and hammer work, have restored the correct geometry to the bent parts, but I have no desire to hook it up again on these traps. Not to mention that the blades whacking the stubs are hard on the refreshed equipment. I have restored one deck with new blades and replaced bearings that were getting loose so we are good to go. I might have to replace an idler pulley, but that can be done on the fly if it goes. laters.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

It is still too D-- cold out. Winter is hanging on. Only beer cold 41 degrees today. Bah!. Went on an animal run to Kankakee to pick up some ordered birds, and almost brought home more goats. They had an abundance of large hoofed livestock this week, over 50 goats of various breeds. And a few feeder cattle too. WE got Copper Marans, and 11 larger Orpingtons to bolster our aging stock. These are from a proven breeder. Bargain priced at $2 ea. The brooder is turned on, and the lights are set. I hope we can keep the mice at bay for a while.

So we begin again our cycle of life on the homestead. Lots to do, mechanically I am going to wind up behind the 8 ball on lawn equipment as the rains and temperatures have been dismal on my motivation. I dont like being cold, or wet.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Well I got the first battery for the year from Mantards to power the lawn tractor, nothing worse than trying to get things running with a sick battery. So with that we can move forward and get something going, before the grass is completely riz. I got a rebuilt batter for the Case diesel last fall to run through the winter. I need to play attention to the yard needs as I am already behind . A younger life friend is coming to claim a John Deere tractor from the back field, an older styled 42 popper. He has a farm in Ohio and it will provide portable power for conveyors and a mower on his 80 acres. I wish him well.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

In between making physical therapy , I have gotten the first of the backyard hoard of tractors serviced out and running. Enough that I ate the first deck belt with a grass clog. Another off of fleabay is about $8 with shipping. It was last years belt and I could feel the wear in the vibes it sent. Anyway, fuel filters, oil, and grease, and a big wrench to tweek the front axle back in shape from all the crashes, and we are making all the rounds for the grasslands of hades. You can stand there and watch it grow.

I made a mistake with the Case diesel and got contaminated fuel in the tank again. So I have to flush it and be happy. It still leaks at the shutoff valve, making holes poisoned in the grass where it gets parked. Changing O rings did nothing, so it must be in the valve itself, as it stops when turned off.

I have a stable of tractors purchased last year as each failed in its way, so now the mission is to reduce the livery and get the wide mower back in action on the Case, that is the backbone of the movers here. The 91 Mitsubishi tractor has served well here. I want to get the 60 inch mower back in service, it has been out of focus so long.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Well in my travels to fuel the yard equipment, i broke another spout.So I have about 10 gas cans without spouts that function, and slop fuel all over the units in feeble attempt to hit the tank filler hole. Using a funnel is much the same just another thingy to keep track of, and wiggle around at the improper moment . Since I refuse to put stinky gas and diesel cans in a building C/O fire hazards they sit with enough sun available the plastic ages in the sunlight wherever it is, usually under the 'fuel box'. But winds, helpers and all such laziness gets the open cans exposed anyway, and all the bugs dirt, and fog get where you dont want, let alone having to splash $3 gallon fuel all over the soon to be dead grass spot.

So I have embarked on making a few gadgets to stop this minor headache, mainly a decent spout. From Mantards I bought a small bag of 3/4 inch galvanized washers, that had the outer diameter large enough for the can opening, and went to the plumbing department, and got some copper adapters for 1/2 to 3/4 inch pipe. One of these sits nicely in the center of the washer, and I added about a two inch nipple of 1/2 pipe. I set this on a plate on the stove burner and warmed it up, and soft soldered it all together. I used a socket of the right diameter and gave the end a little flair and added a piece of garden hose about a foot or so long. I pulled two zip ties tight on the spout and now I have a flex spout that wont slip off the pipe being hung by the flair. A piece of dowel shaped on the grinder plugs the spout, and is easily replaced if lost. I made 4 at one time, and two are going to friends with the same problems I have.

Ya, I know garden hose is not fuel hose, but it is cheap, a fugitive from the trash and fills the need without a bunch of hubbub. No more gas and diesel slopped around. No more paying $7-$9 for a 'saftey' spout that leaks and creates problems in use.

The washers wind up being just a fuzz too big, so I ran the units on a bench grinder to make them fit the plastic can nut. I used some black rubber for a washer seal, but in use the can quickly draws a vacuum and leaks around the nut are minimal without the gasket. A heavy O ring would be ideal, I dont have one yet. but all the broken spouts have left me with a handfull of plastic nuts for the gas cans. The copper adapter stands proud of the washer inside the can so the bitter dregs are trapped in that last oz or two of juice left when poured out and dont drain out at the first upending. I am going to make one more with about a foot hard spout of copper and see if it shatters the nut from side forces banging the can around.

I dont know: I think I hear a glacier moving, or is it me? Things seem to be moving ahead at the speed of dark.
mikeehlert

Post by mikeehlert »

Excellent solution, can see myself making a couple of these. May use a similar technique on my jeep can too.
chucketn

Post by chucketn »

Hey Big Dave, been a couple of weeks since we heard from you. hope all is well...
This thread is one on this board I look forward to every day.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Chucky: Thanks. It is encouraging to think that somebody reads my drivel of thoughts and may get a splinter of an idea. IDEAS, are not enough. They have to be followed by action to make any difference. Useless is the sage without an audience, or a leader without a following. That echo down a canyon is not a real answer. I have always had the need to share what I know. Not that I know everything, but a path that works with what my conditions are. On balance I am content to share.

I have had a run in with nature the Mother this winter, and am recovering somewhat. It is the reason for my lack of posting. The medical fall has taken the wind out of my sails, and I am just now getting some mobility and ability back.

I have to relearn how to put up pics again, as I have changed computers, and updated to a new program. The changes have left my old mind struggling to renew my abilities.

Many projects have been pushed aside from necessity, others have just been pushed down the list. As my property has become unmanageable, we bought some goats to help control the greenery and brush that began taking over in my lack of diligence. It has been more than fun, and a learning experience. Of all things, we had a baby born to a too young mother at 10 below zero Jan 14. That started an incredible chapter of raising a goat on my couch for 3 weeks while I recovered from health issues. It became my mission. This journey had a little thing potty training itself for the house when out of the dog cage with mom, jumping over cats in 3 days, and generally sleeping in a lap on HIS towel when tired. Now nearly full grown and romping outside, he is a brat and so demanding. I will suffice it to say that the unusual circumstance, has taught me things I never knew I never knew. Not a chance to explain the wonder of it.

The current project is the battle of the grasses, and I am losing, with the mower severely broken, the deck needing structure replaced and reworked. Teh 6 x 10 yard trailer used for just about all work here, is getting a new plywood deck. My mobility has become an issue along with my stamina, but I plug along and fuss over the details as usual. The thing was stripped , the general rusts wire brushed with a cup brush, and all the flowers and bare spot painted out with oil base Rusty-leum paint. the deck will get two coats of oil base for water resistance, and it will last for about 5 years like last time. Im my travels, I ran over the coupler latch, so now a new model is required (oops) Its OK, it got rusty and mom was having trouble closing it anyway. Another from Horror Fright and we are all good. If there is a way to ork things up, we can find them. Anybody that does not make mistakes is either a liar, or does nothing, so rolling with the oopsies is all part of the road. Laters.
chucketn

Post by chucketn »

Glad to see you're on the mend. I too have had health issues, and am struggling to keep up with chores. Seems most of my issues are military service related, though I've been retired from the service for 27 years.
I also have had goats a few times in my life. Handy for clearing wild rose and other stuff that likes to overtake the land. Also had ducks and Geese. Had a Labrador retriever that loved herding the fowl around the place, and would help put them in their pens at night.
I guess I enjoy your posts because they sound like my life, managing one crisis after the other...
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

A couple of days of dreary showers have slowed progress outside again. It somes tha I cant find the right sized bolts in my drawer. I found everything but what I needed for the hitch. A trip to the local ACE got my wallet for an extra ordinary amount of money for some bolts and toggle bolts for the block wall and railing project. The railing should be done right after I bore the holes. I have th apint , brush, bent handrail and mounts. Just have to stick it all in one place. Ace got me for .14 per washer and each nut. Tractor supply has the same zinc plated stuff by the $2.99 a pound. Oh well, penny wise and pound foolish. laters.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

You're not the only one with wacky weather Dave.
We had a frost warning last Sunday & Monday. No frost Sunday morning, but it was 33. At least it didn't snow! ;)
Warming back up, and supposed to be a nice 97 tomorrow.

Around here, you can get nuts & bolts at the two hardware stores, the auto parts stores (we have 4), Big R ranch & farm store, and the Fastenal folks.
Big R has the best prices, which doesn't say much for Fastenal. I don't think I've bought anything there in 3 or 4 years....too pricey....on everything.
If I have the time, and can deal with box quantities, I buy with MSC. Free freight, and a day away.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.