Never enough time

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Never enough time

Post by steamin10 »

Hey, well gang. Here it is Sun morning, and I find my Day is totally out of whack. (Again!)

Conversion of a used Ameritech Van with new floor and reposition of shelves, Painting and replacing bent front fender, and finding an air/vac leak throwing a check code. Van is for my backup career in Hvac, since I cannot get hired in any of the major Mills and production plants here. (currently going to HVAC/R school to get up on the latest).

Long standing friend brought over his shiny newer Chevy truck, has a brake problem. Cant get the rotor off the drivers side. (stuck). We heat and beat until 7:30, no progress.

Renter called, his furnace went cold. Pilot only. Got to investigate this AM. It is a hydronic system, so prolly the Aquastat, or circ pump died. Not much else to go wrong on these units.

Daughter has failure on her 30+ yrs old trailer furnace.

I have been putting off changing the exchanger core in my 90% furnace since UPS destroyed the first two units in shipping since Oct. third is sitting waiting my attentions, in the lower level, now waiting two weeks.

There is just not enough hours to get on down the daily punch list. Being Sunday, there is no source for parts for Furni that dont work. (sigh).

Lots to do, prioritize and chug. Its a wonderful life if you look up. See you all in the funny papers. TTFN
Last edited by steamin10 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Dave

Right there with ya Dave. My list (honey do, my own, club stuff, and work) is to the point I think it is about to go to the publisher to be printed as a hard back book. Its growing faster than I can get things done.

Oh well, most of the stuff can wait, but sometimes it cn be hard to keep priorities in the correct perpective.

Rick
JackF

Post by JackF »

Dave ,

I feel your pain. Been working on the hot rod and machine tools if fits and starts for months. To top it off, I go in for a collonoscophy(sp) tues. and will be out of the shop all day :cry: .

Jack.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ugh. I think I AM a colonoscopy, I have such an outlook sometimes.

Ok, Ist furnace fixed, dirty contacts on Mechanical thermostat. I wont monkey with it, threw up a new shielded model for $13. Dotter is not home. Better luck next time Hun.

Newer Chevy truck has destroyed rotor, from lost pad, metal to metal did it in. Newer brakes failed when each front bearing/spindle assembly failed this summer. This is 3rd brake failure. Got a new handle for broken 12 lb. Installed and applied my Turbo-torch for 10 min to the rust frozen 4month old rotor, and then beat again. A WINNER! Reassembled in about 20 minutes, and on the road he went. 20 min propane burn, and one splitter mall, one sledge handle, and a coupla snoopy bandaids later. No time for beer, gotta go.

Project 3-- prepping the new fender for the van in the basement-workshop-storage-unbelievable stuff collection. Brought in paint and supplies to warm up. (28* here now). Went to the home store and obtained more Silicone (3 tubes) to seal the floor edges in the van when the wood is fitted out. 1st 3/8 sheet contoured to the pass side, 2nd being marked for left side to be cut tomorow. Cleaning some of my neglected paint guns. Binks to Harbor Freight, they have to be clean to work. ( I hate cleaning, and am guilty as charged of neglecting some equipment. But when things happen in a hurry, you put things up, and GO! Not always with the best results in the home department.)

Took the base of a $200 upholstered chair apart for my class instructor. It is a wreck. 3/4 plywood buckled and split in the seat, leans like a wounded warship. Stripped the shattered seat, and found a 3/4 replacement, rough cut it, and will now sand the edges for smooth, layout the sink nuts for later, thats why they make tommorows.

Mom fired up the tractor, and dumped 7 bags of animal litter, (3 30 gal cans) on the field and I moved some bottled water and food for the Cavies in our care. She did well today.

Back to the grind tomorow TTFN
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

TTFN

Post by spro »

Inspirational, Dave. When you quit moving like that it takes awhile till a person Can. Congrats the successes.! The next await you and they are done before~it get's cold~. lol. I've been in a funk while the weather was mild and a have a few things to lay outside with.-after that.
JackF

Dave,

Post by JackF »

Thanks for the proper spelling of colonoscopy. I hope I don't bore anyone but that description of Mom dumping the 3 30 gal. cans of animal litter reminded me of when I had the bright idea of saving myself some work by saving the "litter' from my 2 german shorthairs in 1 30 gal. can instead of 6 5 gal. cans, carry one can to the dump instead of six :lol:. Well, time came to make a run to the dump (transfer station), went to pick up the can in the kennel and guess what, 30 gal. of soft runny dog "litter" weighs just about 6 times what a 5 gal. can weighs. At the very least it was much more than I could even think to carry. Next step was to enlist the help of my neighbor Gerry. He is a big man and the 2 of us struggled to drag it out to the truck and lift it on to the bed. We then head off to the transfer station. This transfer station consisted of a ramp where you drove to the top and then dumped your stuff into a open top of a semi trailer. Another point to bring up is that to conceal what was in the 30 gal. can from the dump operators this "litter was in a 30 gal. garbage bag. Well Gerry and I open the tailgate, struggle to tip the can on it's side, watch as the bag and contents slowly oooze out of the can and then observe as the bag heads toward the bottom of a completely empty trailer. To our surprise, when the bag hit the bottom it burst and the contents came shooting straight back up at us. We both jumped back and just barely escaped getting that gooey mess on our faces. Sorry for the long post but I laugh every time I think of that story :lol:.

Jack.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Well, Moms can (my GF is Mom to the animals and me) is mostly wood ship litter and Cavie pellets with an aromatic dampener. Smells like amonia. litter is in bags and 2 bags to container, that is taken and spread on the garden 1/2 acre. She cleans the cages for the animals, and does this herslef (mostly), firing up the compact diesel tractor to run it out the hundred yards and more for the dumping. 3 cans in the trailer, six bags. not a big ordeal.

Got sick monday, spent 20 hours asleep tuesday. Feel a bit better. Now it is going bitter cold. Too many outdoor things to do.

TTFN.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Dave,

After reading your story again I thought your "litter" might be different than mine :lol:.

Jack.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Jack: Litter and poo, or Poo and litter, how much do you need in your crib? Yagots animals, yagots to do stuff. I have Cavies, Cats and one big Galloot of a Great Dane. They are Great mostly. I enjoy their company and shenanigans daily. Strange as it may seem to those that dont have house animals, they are a great source of joy for me, and some time expended I could prolly use elsewhere. Dont matter, my choice. I have had cats since I was 5. Got my first dog at 35, to watch the house. Had good and bad, better and worse. Just got to get to know them. They all respond to affection and company. Chose my animals over several women. Animals dont steal, they just choose what is real for them, no games. They all share my house, no outside animals. It can be a challenge too, keeping only animals that can learn to not degrade my environment.

Current GF works in the animal industry, and runs a rescue, and holds a board position on the local spay/neuter council. Irritating at times, I still understand the cause. I myself, dont do all that much, but when Louisiana got wiped out, Volunteers from up North here went to save cats, dogs and horses, that were lost, or had families in distress, I donated some 60 2x3x10 to build shipping cages on site, for animals to be shipped. I got a thank you. Nough for me, cause I did a small deed to help. That voyage saved 77 animals, and 7 horses, on the first trip. I dont know the details, dont care. I dont want to feel guilty I didnt do more. So it goes.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

BAH! I'm Cold! Was 30 something today, after a bitter cold snap here in the Mudwest. Frosty nisghts and a bitter cold start to the day, for a run up the super highways to school, to be bored to tears, until 3:15. Then the fender bender highway to home at traffic speed from 40 to 80 mph. (White knuckle ride :shock: ) Today is saturday, and I cut and fitted the second 3/8 panel to the floor, and a foot piece for the headspace just behind the front crash barrier. The first part is sealed with silicone, but the second part will be run with a medium dark stain before I seal it up with the remaining silicone. Damn thing wont start. Engine code is up showing probable low fuel pressure/ injector probs. Sonny has a Computer that reads and predicts this stuff, he wants to run an injector service, (in a can) and see what happens first. Buffed up the new fender with 3m pad, and have a gun clean to shoot it with some Ford white. Cold temps make that a chellenge. It finally started, before the battery croaked, but it spit and sputtered to get going. Injectors should not work that way. I am going to nearly fill the tank, to see if that has any effect.

Temp started to drop like a stone as soon as the Sun started to fade, Mom tossed some more litter on the garden, and I am going to cut a board for her truck to recieve its 250 lbs of balast sand bags. The standard Rangers are a bit tricky on ice, and some weight in the back helps. Being she is a Rocker chick, we will prolly go to the watering hole, and I will groan out a few songs, ala Kereoke. I could be making RR parts. Never enough time.
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

Be glad it was 30º , the HIGH today is "0º" After a low of -13º.
Don't even leave the house.
Jim
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.
jim rozen

Post by jim rozen »

How are the Xtra cab rangers on
ice? 2WD that is. Just bought
one.

Jim