Never enough time

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: Never enough time

Post by steamin10 »

I hit a corner of a sidewalk with the mower, and did in the last of the star holding the blade. With the damage done, I went to a neighbor that repairs lawn equipment, and he made a guess and forwarded a shaft and four bearings. Unfortunately popping the shaft out proved to be simple, but the provided part was wrong in several dimensions, and unusable. So it was back to plan B, and the nibs of the star drive were welded over through the blade,, to provide the needed engagement. The blade is not welded to the shaft but only in splatter and flux. Dressing off the welds level with the blade clearly shows the outlines, and so the install bolt was put on tightly and the shaft reinstalled in the blade drive tower. 7018 wa used for the spotting of welds. Unfortunately, the use of a hammer and brass bar to coax the shaft out of the drive tower, buggared the last thread, so the nut would not start to finish off the project. Soo the thread file and chaser set came out, and a few minutes of judicious match and file, allowed the nut to hand start. A jood wreching allowed the assembly to pull into the bearings, and seat the drive pulley, and we were finally set to go with the renewed blade mount. I am mowing knee deep gras, as temps and rain have envigorated the environment. A 47 Ford tractor called upon to do rough mowing with a 5 foot brush hog, proved too feeble for the task, and rather than push some one elses equipment to detruction, we opted to abandon that line of work, and rely on the small tractors to worry through the waist high areas. The little 15 and 20 HP taractors worry through the cuts, but manage with only half the deck ovelapping the cut edge, so it clears the long grass stems into windrows about a foot apart. So it goes.

Saturday last we ventured into the Griffith town park with our Shetland sheep dogs, and two canvas chairs, and sat into a Concert by the Northwest Indiana Symphony, set up in the bandstand. It was an enjoyable music performance, and we got some attention to the dogs, that were all decked out in their bandanas, and combed out. A most enjoyable outing, until some Yo-yo with a penchant for fireworks shot ff some stuff some blocks away, making the dogs antsy.

Sunday we arose early, to travel to Bristol Wisconsin, and the Renaissance Faire. A medieval village with all the shops, shows and displays with characters in costume. While a sight in itslef, it happened to be "Steampunk" weekend, and all those that do cosplay from that genre were about to add spice to the crowd. Rose and I usually go in medieval costume, but did not this year, taking Brandon, and his GF to the faire. It was an enjoyable outing, Mom bought T-shirts, flowered headbands, and a feathered Flathat for me. ( I think it made me a bit jaunty actually). Had snacky foods, of ribs, and roast turkey legs, and soda to stave the medium heat. The grounds are tree covered well , so it was mostly shady, and not unbearable. Watching the joust was full sun, but the matches were short enough not to bake you done. A lot of walking for me, but I came through tired but not achy. I have a walking stick that is shoulder high, topped with a fist sized carved image of my Dane, Titan. His likeness garnered many comments, and interaction with the crowd of spectators. the staff was a gift from Mom Rose, for my birthday, to remember my past companion. He was 13 when he left us, very old for a Great Dane, and the last large dog for me, as I can no longer control a large breed. So I enjoy my overactive Shelties, and my cats, for company.

Thanks for lookin'.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

My son has flown the coop for Vegas, to play in the APA finals there, all expenses paid for the team. (Good luck Kid!) A lot of players shooting for top prize. He was moaning he was 'off his game' and he is a killer in 9 ball.

As luck would have it, The County ground up the road in front of the property, with a road planer, and this afternoon, are setting up to put a smooth topping on some patches of pavement, no better than a cobble road after many patches turned holles to bumps. All I can think of is th tax money, they are squandering, that is mine. A new date for widening my road to 3 lanes is in 20 18, moved again, because they rob one account for another to get by. I dont want the 3 lane night mare they hae approved, but it is happening.

Was out mowing grass this AM before the dew was off, and am having trouble with the oil safty switch causing false shutdowns. In exasperation, I over did the oil, and turned the machine into a bug fogger momentarily. It was hilarious, but not really. I chanced upon a corpse of a John Deere tractor, that is minus the engine and hood. Still has tires frame and trans, but for $30 I will age the parts in my collection. I will probably welcome the hole in my head too. Laters.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks for tips about overcoming the star pattern, temporarily. Really. May be forced to do the same and not the only. Re the JD. When you run into something which looks like a good deal, it probably was. in your yard but anyway, if the JD has manual gears, good. If hydra, maybe good tires and stuff. all good .:)
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Well as fate would work, several rains and downpours delayed yard work and cutting of the tree like ragweed. (Yes it overwhelmed me again.) Upon trying to fire the Crapman work horse, it seemed the battery was low. Noting that old tractors can be finicky, I got out the 3 amp trickler, hooked it up and it did not display any serious load. So I hit the key, and all the magic smoke came out of some wheree.
Finally after a coupla days, I caught up with Charlie, and he agreed to have a look at it, and sure enough, he diagnosed the starter being burned. He said he never had one smoke like that, and we fiddled with things, but did not have a spare. He called some one, and got a used one for $50, changed oil, and put on a new filter for the tidy sum of $60 to me. He said the engine was smoking really bad, but I explained my mistake of overfilling the oil with the machine wanting to shut down from the safty sensor. At any rate, he did not make a dime, and I got my grass cutter going, and tidied up the front and side yards as daylight permits. I feel better that now it is running again, and my $200 mower wont owe me a dime if it lasts the season. I got a pound bag of Starbucks coffee going his way, as I use Kurig cups, so it will barter out in some dimension.

I am starting on a new project, and promise to dig one post hole per day, til my wood 5 ft fence is up across the naked lot. The lot is something of an eyesore, but will have two boats and a dead vehicle behind it, as the law allows for things behind a fence, to comply with the nosy see it - tow it attitude. The used fence will be painted, but still used and rustic. Landscape timbers will provide posts, and they will be just set in the soil. If it sounds a bit desperate to get forward motion, that is the overall feeling I am under here. Too many projects behind, and my energy is low.

The county did a heavy road repair, getting rid of the riffles that strip hubcaps from speeders. So now, I have to have a drain tube to form a drive way to the frontage road, that was never there before. Measurements, and staking prove that a recent ditch dug on my property is off by some dozen feet, and has to be redone. Conflicts with my son continue on directions, as he does not ask permission, and there fore goes headlong into collisions with me over knowledge.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

As it stands now, we have 3 trucks with engine problems. First the Rescue Ranger is still laid up with a replacement engine on a stand waiting for the Motor Meister, to play attention to it, and finish the change out. He is 'cleaning the garage' which means he is making higher piles of my stock and tools. Dotter Stephanie had her Dodge hickup a bearing, so it now knocks loudly. Something about a design flaw that allows water to hydraulic a cylinder, and bend a rod or clearance a bearing. Son bought a damaged Dodge 4 door PU, that a girl ran low on oil. (Duh). He snarfed the deal for $500 on the 04 black beauty. It sits collecting sparrow spots, and of course his Gran Prix of 99 model was heisted 2 months ago. So he is down a ride. Just last week he ran across a retired co-worker that bought a new truck. After sitting some 7 months, Jr paid 2K for the 4 door Dakota, that is one owner. He knows this truck, as he did all the service work on it for the last 5 years or so. So turn the key and go, for that one. but that makes about $10K+ in broken trucks waiting for engine work. A lot to do before big snow.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Well the pool league session is over, and our team finished out of the playoiff standings. Just got outshot in a couple of bad nights. I did however finish 6th in the top gun ranking, and may be invited to play out in that category. But simply spoken, for a 6 hour session, waiting to play, Pop, snacks and whatever makes a $30 to $40 night, and that is too expensive in time and money. I have many projects that can benefit from that time.

The John Deere Carcus has been assessed, and will be rebuilt with the 'cruise control' hydro drive, that allows for a preset speed, but controlled by fwd and rev pedals on the right side, leaving the operator basically hands free. One of several 18 HP Briggs engines will be set up to power this thing. Switches and dash parts along with two dead tires are on hand with other MTD parts units, so it will become a labor of love.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I am looking for a way to recharge some silicone beads used for moisture. They are turning yellow, even sealed n a plastic jar.. i had read or heard that laying them out on a tray and baking them at low heat drives off the moisture. I had a time getting melted plastic off of my core mold cookie sheets.

So with that, I have about 5 pounds of beads taken from new piano cases ( dont ask) and was wondering if maybe I could put them under near vacuum and reverse the process, to dry some flowers again.

Aybody have a good method that has done it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Still coping with the change of weather. This is the wet season of the fall, where drenching rains never dry out, as witnessed by my sticking my Ranger in slime spots that allow the sod to part like the Red Sea, and swallow things. Got stuck twice in two days way out back trying to do things.

Put together a crew to fix a gutter taken down last winter, John and Grandson Damon tackled the job. From the ground it was a torturous deal, and after 5 hours the repair of fascia and soffit was done. (I dont climb ladders anymore). They were supposed to return this last Thursday, but I guess life gets in the way. I have another 40 ft across the front,needed to control water.

I have been invited to participate in a paintball outing, so my two guns are cleaned, charged, and ready to go. My camo suit is in need of repair, so that will happen shortly. My equipment is old, but works, being an electronic Viper, and a Tipman 98. It will probably be the last time out for me, as my mobility fades.

Other projects include setting up equipment from another garage. Metal furni will have to be roofed over with a lean to for the winter. TTFN
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

This Sunday wound up being productive as John and Grandson Damon returned to tackle the gutter project. With supplies already laid in, the going was slow as the drainage is about 16 feet above ground level. So head down hanging off the roof and ladder work was slow going. Fully half the house has new guttering secured with screws, and the perimeter is now done. One downspout needs to be installed to a drain that runs to the front ditch.

A long standing project has been completed. Finally got the time and some bar stock to complete the arms on the box scraper for the Compact diesel Case tractor. While the machine is small, the 60 inch wide box does OK scratching muck and grass off of the dirve, revealing the bare stone beneath. A side extension that is waste earth and asphalt, is now being dragged over, and leveled out to widen the drive to 3 cars wide. The county plans to widen the frontage road to 3 lanes, (I dont know why), and I will lose about 15 feet of my drive and front yard to this civil project. In any event, free fill has been roughly dumped, and is being messaged into the low landscape to raise the front yard by a foot and more. The jawbreakers of paving are being scraped out and removed, and the soils and crushed stone being tapered out for a smooth slope. The machine is quite small, and the equipment light, so its repeat passes to get the soils moved into order. After a half day of runneling around I am about half done with the contours. Its shaping up.

The paint ball outing was a disaster from my view. While changing position under fire, I tripped over a doorway coming outside and went down hard. I found that it took two guys to help me to my wobbly feet, and sustained some damage to the skinned knee department. So the executive decision has been made to clean up my equipment, and dispose of it. Seeing I have not put my boat in the water in some years, the remains of my dive equipment will go too.

Sadly, I have to admit that I am getting old, and not as spry as I once was, so my life focus will change some what. A lot of time is being spent on the animals in the rescues, and it drains my energies for other things.

I pulled an el dumbo, in that I got my Craftsman tractor hung up in the rough edge of the drive. Being a master mind, I got the diesel out, and gave it a nudge from behind to get the mower off center. ( I should have used my light tow chain and pulled it off the bump hanging the deck up). Well the little rubber push bumper rolled over the back tire and wedged between the fender, and backing off it hooked up on the fuel tank beneath. The flat bar cut neatly through the corner, so now I have to garner another tank from the world, and change it out. Gad, it makes one feel so much like an amateur.

I hope all your troubles are little ones.
spro

Post by spro »

Your post is heavy in the weight we understand. This age thing, has effected me also. Dreams and projects I can't quite do now, require me to retract and consider the future. Can't really go into everything because one day or year may be something else.
Little stuff now, like that gas tank, is available. If not locally, there are many on ebay. I know this by searches for the most simple metal tank, which have rotted out. The plastic, under seat ones don't rot and there are many. People are blowing the engines or wrecking the front end and steering all the time and selling parts but one thing is those custom tanks. There is a part # which many sellers provide. There are many who only show a picture.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Someplace a post escaped. Sorry about that. It contained a Holiday wish for Thanksgiving.

On this day it has come to pass that a search for a missing lap cat, has required the dismantling of my water bed. My poor Annie has passed over the Rainbow bridge. Her body was recovered and shipped off to the interment people, and her ashes will join several other noted memories on our shelf. The little Calico mom, joined Rose from across some railroad tracks, 14 years ago. Our ferrel kitty will leave a spot in our memory for some time to come. She was showing her age and desired a warm lap of late, more than usual. Some of the rest of the pride have been calling, and searching the house.

A leak in the bed required a new matress a year ago, but some of the light weight wood has sagged, so the support boxes are being re-inforced, before assembly. So as I write this, we get to nap on the couch tonite. Final assembly of the tube bed will occur tomorrow as I am pooped. The bed will be much improved with the new supports, as it has taken on a wave shape with the sag from the former leak.. Onward and upward.

It is raining again, it seems to only stop to recharge. The yard is mucky, and getting to be a problem.I am way behind and will not finish many projects still open, such is the result of this year.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

The snow hs come eraly this year. It is cold and an inch and building. Compared to other years, where we h ave a green (brown) Xmas eve, it is showing early. This backs up the Old Farmers alminac for a long and cold winter this year.

Mom Rose is home after cutting an aniimal run short, due to poor road conditions, as people have trouble adjusting to the seasos, so she is now not exposede to others errors.

A drain line has been unplugged to drain a small llake of backed up water, and several parts have been identified for ordering. A jeep frame project is being stripped of the axles, so the core frame can be shipped off to a local school for rehabbing. The built up parts are here, and will go to be installed as a class project to lower the cost on a frame replacement for an XB model framed jeep, that is suffering from rust failures. The sale of the axles will pay for the replacement frame and most of the bracket parts needing renewal. Once finished and painted in the school shop, it should return before Christmas, for the final running gear and body swap. The body swap is simple with the overhead beam setup in the shop. Equipped with 1.5 ton lifts and trolleys, changing out engines and axles is fairly a snap. Small bodied vehicles likewise.

Beginning to organize the foundry parts. I have obtained a buggy to carry a furnace (Mc Engelvan) and its blower so it is completely mobile. The sand blast cabinet (refrigerator case and pot blaster) has been located outside and covered with tarps as there is no room inside for this bulky equipment. Similarly a pallet has been set out for bagged coal, and the collection of foundry flasks. the sand has been drowned and will be a problem to process back. Current plan is to pile the sand on some sloping tin for rough drainage and the put a weed torch below the tin for heat, and hand turn by shovel to get dry... I hate manual labor, but foundry is mostly hands on. Once dry it wil be committed to a 20 gallon trash can and lid to keep its condition.

With unlimited money, there are unlimited answers. Reduced too Social Security, requires a lot of creativity to convert available items to new uses, and doubling up on uses for vital functions. Sales of no longer needed equipment will go into the improvements and details.

The laundry list of things to do, never gets shorter, and this year is far behind with medical issues and timings, but we move forward at the speed of dark anyway. our motto is 'We get it done when the pigs fly' and have the flying pigs for weather vanes, and weather observers. If one is wet, its raining, etc.. .Laters.

Edit: the jeep model is a YJ type frame. Not a 5 or 7. It fits the later Wrangler and other short body models. These units suffered from poor design, and had metalurgy problems that led to rot out of principle mounting areas. Frame off repairs are required to get to the trouble spots.
Last edited by steamin10 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.