Never enough time

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Never enough time

Post by Harold_V »

It seems that as we age, we plod along at a reduced pace. While I'm not suffering from any particular ailment (aside from arthritis), I, too, take a great deal of time to complete projects. No matter. I'm happy. My shop is slowly evolving and will, someday, be totally functional. It will take considerable time, but, being retired, what else would I be doing?
Keep the faith, good friend.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

But when does this ................to know better stuff kick in?
Cary
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Cary, I dont understand your comment, with the missing piece. sorry.We installed a modified downspout to control water away from the foundation drains, so as not to tax the sump pump this winter. It shoots water way out from the house, and ignores the underground drains already installed, as a cleanout box is missing from the system. Located tight below thewall spigot for the drive, the box and drain grating was never built, and would serve as the connection for the underground drain to the road ditch. It is frozen out, and would require herculean effort to finish it now, so it will be put off till next year. leveling the widened parking area is at a halt too with the freeze over. Removing some of the asphalt jaw breakers from the fill scratched out of the fill is about alll I can accomplish now till spring thaw. So the evolution continues.

Eliminating some cluitter and unwanted projects continues, with broken fridges and such items as are unfixable are removed from the Snaford and Son look of the drive. This continues as time and motivation warrents.

More Guinee pigs, and socialized kittens have been leaving the rescue lately, so that is a relief too. We have but 5 cats to adopt out, They have developed into some engaging personalities, and will make good companions.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

My apologies for not giving the full quip. It is as my mother used to say to me when I did something stupid. " You are old enough to know better."
This was intended as a pun and not as a derogatory comment. Sorry if it didn't come out that way.
Sincerely, Cary Stewart
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

By the way your location is not far from my late wife's home town of Bridgeman, MI. her family had a small merchantile store there and her father was the Chief of Police for some years. He had other county jobs. One of the things that really made it easy for me to like him was the BIG diamond shaped yellow sign that he had made and set on the main street to try and curb the speeders in the summer months. Bridgeman was/is a resort town. Any way the sign said "Dammit Slow Down." The rich summer folks didn't appreciate the hummer in that.
Cary
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Here in So. Cal. the temp. is getting into the cool area. Nights are down to about 42 degreesF. I think I am going to have to light up my back bedroom wall heater soon. My feet are getting cold at night. I only lived in snow for one winter. In 1944 my mother, brother and I went to Chicago to stay with an uncle from Sept. to February or March 1945. Boy did they ever bundle me up to the point I could hardly move.
Cary
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

OK, I see. Like my fountain of smart quip in my byline. Ya cant fix stupid is another saying I like.

I used to travel Bridgman a lot in my younger years, with the boating and diving and whatnot. I have been out of that for some time now. Used to go to that famous Burger joint at least monthly. It is still there and still operates.

I am losing my heat control, and nap on my couch in front of the talking heads on TV with a heatng pad under my feet and covers. Better than being cold. The only thing worse than having cold feet, is big feet, that are cold.

The worst this year is losing my ability to climb ladders, and get those kinds of projects done with neophyte help. It can be downright painful, like the old fire horse, to hear the calling and be left standing in the stall. So being froze out, I turn to the machines in the lower level and try to correct all the pile-it error from the summer and fall. (You know, pile it here, and pile it there, until the old projects are invisible).

Just West of Chicago were Nickle temperatures. As I write this it is 18 degrees here. (patting self on the back) I got my furnace burners cleaned just in time for the snap, and have not suffered a lockout yet. Son installed a 50k hanging heater in the garage shop just in time, and has placed 1/2 inch foam on the bare studs to hold some heat in during work times. I am waiting for him to renew the engine in the Rescue Ranger put down last year. Glaciers move faster than this project.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

steamin10 wrote:I am losing my heat control, and nap on my couch in front of the talking heads on TV with a heatng pad under my feet and covers. Better than being cold. The only thing worse than having cold feet, is big feet, that are cold.
My feet have always been cold, but in the last few years, seem to have gotten colder. I cringe now at the thought of stepping outside in winter temperatures, no matter how thick the socks and boots. It's a far cry from my younger days, when sitting under a railroad car to fix a heating system that was on the fritz in the dead of winter was no big deal. Guess it's all part of that aging process I keep hearing about. :roll:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I'm 77 and wear a size 12D. Big feet for a short guy (5'-10"). I'm all too familiar with cold feet and getting old. I don't remember it being like this when I was younger.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

steamin10 wrote: The worst this year is losing my ability to climb ladders, and get those kinds of projects done with neophyte help. It can be downright painful, like the old fire horse, to hear the calling and be left standing in the stall. So being froze out, I turn to the machines in the lower level and try to correct all the pile-it error from the summer and fall. (You know, pile it here, and pile it there, until the old projects are invisible).
Speaking of hating the cold, I live in Phoenix, for a reason. The heat is miserable, but I handle it better than cold.

And I'm well familiar with the ladder problem. It really started getting bad on me about 2 years ago. And rapidly went from getting somewhat painful on a ladder painting/repairing facia boards (up and down a lot moving along with moderate periods standing at the top)) to I couldn't even stand up long enough to complete anything but the simplest projects (or even then!) without absolute agony in my knees. Both bone on bone with significant erosion easily visible in an x-ray. That's why I had both knees replaced this summer. It sucks, but in fairly short order it sucks less than what came before, and from there on things are just getting better. Now to dig out of all the stuff that's piled up in the mean time, without overdoing it and suffering a relapse. I already did that once and put myself back on the lazyboy with an ice machine and recovering PT for over a month due to pulling something in my right knee that still hurts sometimes. So anyway, replacements are available and do work. I have yet to see just how good, or how long they last, but they sure do pop and snap a lot more than I ever expected.

But it's a good thing I had an HSA plan with low max out of pocket this year. I hit the max less than half way through the first knee replacement. That choice really saved my bacon this year, particularly with the lost work. Next year I'll be without insurance, can't afford it. (I'll keep this simple and apolitical, just the facts) Thanks to Obama Care I have exactly 1 provider available "in market", and they offer only 4 plans. Talk about lack of competition! The cheapest plan is a severely limited HMO with high deductible and max. And for that plan I get the privilege of paying roughly $1700 (they went up again recently!) per month EACH fore me and my wife. So, $3400 per month for what a few years ago would have been a cheap HMO plan. Of course I can go out of market and pay the fine, but the baseline is now set, so even "catestrophic" plans loaded with riders and exclusions are going to cost $600+ each per month, plus the fine. And lucky me, I make just enough to not qualify for any "aid". I'll pass, go without, and pay the fine.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote:I'm 77 and wear a size 12D. Big feet for a short guy (5'-10").
I'm a few years younger than you, but about the same height. Feet are smaller though. Your shoes are gunboats, mine are rowboats. :lol:
I'm all too familiar with cold feet and getting old. I don't remember it being like this when I was younger.
That's because it wasn't like that when you were younger. I like to joke that when I first bought my home I could run up the stairs two at a time and not even breath hard. Now I just take my time. :cry:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
spro

Post by spro »

Shoveling snow this season ....Did all the bomaphones turn into Iphones or are some faicgu?